Ford Transit USA Forum banner

261 - 270 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Asdrew, any chance yours was fixed?
We have the same issue with our 2016 Transit 350 med roof. Right around 45-55 when coasting we have a rhythmic, deep droning. It dissipates as soon as we hit the gas. Dealer replaced driveshaft but no change.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Asdrew, any chance yours was fixed?
We have the same issue with our 2016 Transit 350 med roof. Right around 45-55 when coasting we have a rhythmic, deep droning. It dissipates as soon as we hit the gas. Dealer replaced driveshaft but no change.
Exact same issue for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll chime in. I've got a new to me 2016 250 148" 3.7 - has the u-joint driveshaft (no flexible coupling) but no pinion nose damper. I just ordered one for $40 (my how the price has fallen already) to try to quell the thrum, hum, etc. I'm at 197,000 miles, so I'm not sure Ford will pay for the torsional damper kit for me... And, like others have said, paying $1300 for that is a bit steep.

Hopefully the pinion damper does more for $40 than I think.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'll chime in. I've got a new to me 2016 250 148" 3.7 - has the u-joint driveshaft (no flexible coupling) but no pinion nose damper. I just ordered one for $40 (my how the price has fallen already) to try to quell the thrum, hum, etc. I'm at 197,000 miles, so I'm not sure Ford will pay for the torsional damper kit for me... And, like others have said, paying $1300 for that is a bit steep.

Hopefully the pinion damper does more for $40 than I think.
Let us know if that solves the issue. Where did you purchase your damper from? Make sure you got it as the kit so it comes with the proper bolts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, so the damper arrived today, sans bolts... sigh. Ebay seller already found me the right bolts, correct Ford part number for $.99 each. Once the bolts arrive, I'll put it on and see what the difference is like.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just giving you guys an update. They applied the TSB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10181914-0001.pdf but it had only marginal improvement. They believe its the clutch packs in differential. Thankfully they are covering everything so easily under warranty. Bringing it in next week as they need it for a couple full days for the repair. Will post if there is any improvement.
interesting that this is for RWD only? I would assume everything in the rear is the same for AWD and RWD. My 2020 AWD is pretty noisy/droney at those speeds, but can’t tell if it’s normal or not

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I got the drive shaft in place of flex coupling a couple months ago. My van goes down the road really smoothly.

WHAT ABOUT THIS? I can detect a mostly subtle clunk sometimes, on acceleration. Even a bit clangy sometimes, when moving from Park to Drive. I was reading one of the Ford truck forums, and the guys were saying that was the slip joint in the rear-most driveline segment, in need of grease. While I did have work done to the differential itself, I'd like to think that it's just that slip joint issue.

Anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
2019 HR Cargo Oxford White 148 wb 3.7L
354 Posts
I got the drive shaft in place of flex coupling a couple months ago. My van goes down the road really smoothly.

WHAT ABOUT THIS? I can detect a mostly subtle clunk sometimes, on acceleration. Even a bit clangy sometimes, when moving from Park to Drive. I was reading one of the Ford truck forums, and the guys were saying that was the slip joint in the rear-most driveline segment, in need of grease. While I did have work done to the differential itself, I'd like to think that it's just that slip joint issue.

Anyone have experience with this?
Ford Driveline Slip Bump

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Ford Driveline Slip Bump
Thanks for that link. Looks cheap and easy.

I was about to start asking for torque wrench recommendations ("decent but affordable"). I do have a torque wrench that I inherited from my father. It hasn't been used for at least 25 years. I have not been willing to trust it, since it's an "off-brand," and a bit beat up. My father had a gas station / garage, and sometimes accepted orphan tools as payment for gas or work. So, I've been doing mostly non-critical work, and torquing by feel.

I took another look at that wrench today. It's a JO LINE (google, google) whose founder had all the patents on micrometer torque wrenches through the 1970s. They are respected, but, rare enough that none have been sold on Ebay in the past 3 months, and only 1 is for sale, $85 delivered: JOLINE Torque Wrench 10 - 150 lbs Series C 1504 AFMR 1/2" Drive | eBay

I looked up how to test a torque wrench. Against all odds, and within my ability to test, it is accurate. This one is not designed to be calibrated by a user. I was reading comments on a tool forum, by the JO LINE founder's grandson, who had worked in the company's service department. It's got a lead plug in the handle base, that has to be melted out, and the handle disassembled... best avoided.

261 - 270 of 270 Posts