241 - 260 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Reactions: ranxerox

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just an update. The dealer said they could order the parts and do the job. I was so glad to hear that. I only hope this fixes my drone noise. I did notice however, I do not have a pinion nose damper in the rear that people are getting installed as part of the guibo recall moving to the u-joint. Mine came with a u-joint and i am curious why they wouldn't have installed the pinion nose damper.

·
Registered
2019 HR Cargo Oxford White 148 wb 3.7L
354 Posts
I have 2019 t250 HR, mine came with a u-joint like your's, and it also did not come with a pinion nose damper. My differential was very noisy when new, I was not happy about it, changed to Redline 75w110 GL-5 Gear Oil at about 2000 miles, also wanted to get a look at the gear set. they looked fine, the oil helped a little but not as much as hoped. as the mile's accumulated the noise seemed to progressively diminish at about 15,000 mile I added the pinion nose damper. again it was a marginal improvement. but for $50 I would recommend it. now at 21,000 mile's and the noise level is fine,( you can still hear a little) and still have a whining coasting down from 50 to 40 mph. I would really like to get the upgrade that you are getting, I am going to try. I would buy it and install it my self, but with the MSRP. of $2000 for the updated damper I think not. they ask about $1300 online, but still absurd. with all the complaints I've read on this board you would think it would come as stock equipment. good luck with the Fix.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just giving you guys an update. They applied the TSB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10181914-0001.pdf but it had only marginal improvement. They believe its the clutch packs in differential. Thankfully they are covering everything so easily under warranty. Bringing it in next week as they need it for a couple full days for the repair. Will post if there is any improvement.

Reactions: kazuo

·
Registered
221 Posts
These noises that the damper fixes, is it constant noise or intermittent at those speeds posted?
Its a pulsing noise. A thrum thrum thrum thrum. I dont think its the clutch packs as that would deal with the groan i hear when turning into a parking space. The clutch packs aren't being used necessarily when moving in a straight line.

I feel the drive shaft could be out of balance.

Reactions: Schnits

·
Registered
2019 HR Cargo Oxford White 148 wb 3.7L
354 Posts
Its a pulsing noise. A thrum thrum thrum thrum. I dont think its the clutch packs as that would deal with the groan i hear when turning into a parking space. The clutch packs aren't being used necessarily when moving in a straight line.

I feel the drive shaft could be out of balance.
This is out of the Ford Factory service manual:
balance 2.JPG

·
Registered
221 Posts
I didn't know about that. Thank you for sharing! I will try it as soon as they are done with the clutch packs next week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For me, the humming/droning noise commenced @ 75 MPH and became much louder @ 80 MPH. Any speed below 75 MPH or above 80 MPH causes the humming/droning to stop.
Do you experience the highway-speed hum, vibration or droning noise in your Transit?

I just went through the vibration and humming noise thread collecting bits of data looking for a pattern. I have found just enough to see hints of something, but no smoking guns yet, I need more data. If you have the problem or think you do, it would be super helpful if I had:

- Model Year
- Wheelbase
- Engine
- Rear drive ratio
- Speed range where you hear the noise

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> @BrianK*1954 <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> , <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> @Stargeezer*8998 <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> , <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> @belloinsella <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> , <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> @jhal <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> , and <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> @lolwisper4321 <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> , I was able to gather yours from postings in the other thread. Thanks!
2017 Ford Transit 150 130 Wheel base
bought in August 2020
Had flex coupler recall done and started to get vibration between 40 and 50 mph

had it done again.

Problem persisted

they made excuses (it’s probably your tires - it wasn’t)

went to another dealership. Analyzer showed vibration from differential.
they did a bunch of differential work

problem persisted.
Now noticing a loud HUMMING sound above 75 mph.
Just had whole new drive shaft installed (it’s March 18, 2021)

Vibration issue seems resolved

But HUMMING noise remains.
They told me “it’s probably your snow tires”.
So I’m switching out snows for summer tires to see if problem persists.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For me, the humming/droning noise commenced @ 75 MPH and became much louder @ 80 MPH. Any speed below 75 MPH or above 80 MPH causes the humming/droning to stop.
March 2021 - I am experiencing the EXACT SAME problem. ‘17 Transit 150 130 WB, less than 50,000 mi.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should read the TSB referred to in post #244
Thanks - actually I just had a bunch of differential work done because they thought it was the source of my vibration issue (worst between 40-50 mph).
After all that work I still had the vibration and the droning/humming noise continued too.
Two posts in here describe my exact same problem and said they finally settled on the torque converter.
maybe that’s it?
Right now they’re saying it’s my snow tires.
changing them out for summer tires tomorrow to prove it’s not that.
then I’ll have it back in the dealership most likely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks - actually I just had a bunch of differential work done because they thought it was the source of my vibration issue (worst between 40-50 mph).
After all that work I still had the vibration and the droning/humming noise continued too.
Two posts in here describe my exact same problem and said they finally settled on the torque converter.
maybe that’s it?
Right now they’re saying it’s my snow tires.
changing them out for summer tires tomorrow to prove it’s not that.
then I’ll have it back in the dealership most likely.
FYI they just replaced the whole driveshaft and that seems to have taken care of that vibration - but the humming above 75 mph remains

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should read the TSB referred to in post #244
Oh I see - something about installing a “torsional dampener”.
Sounds like they’re describing my problem. I’ll definitely print that out and show them at the dealership.
(they should already be aware of this?)

thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
221 Posts
Oh I see - something about installing a “torsional dampener”.
Sounds like they’re describing my problem. I’ll definitely print that out and show them at the dealership.
(they should already be aware of this?)

thanks for the heads up
I had the torsion damper installed but to no avail. I had friction modifier put in the differential for groaning noise when making sharp turns (which is now fixed) but it didn't help with any harmonics. I did rotate the tires on my own and the humming or thrumming is slightly different than it was before. Its less noticeable. So today I am taking it to get all 4 tires balanced just to rule that out. The dealership said the driveshaft was in balance and was not causing the issue. but I didn't see any analysis of that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took delivery of my 2021 Transit last week. Exiting the dealership, I immediately noticed the droning noise at 40 - 45 mph.

My dealer will be replacing the drive shaft next week. There's a TSB for this, but I don't have the number yet.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I took delivery of my 2021 Transit last week. Exiting the dealership, I immediately noticed the droning noise at 40 - 45 mph.

My dealer will be replacing the drive shaft next week. There's a TSB for this, but I don't have the number yet.
Sorry to hear that. Please post the TSB when you can.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The TSB is 21-2064. Unfortunately, I was unable to obtain a copy.

The service involved removing the rear driveshaft and installing a damper, possibly a new driveshaft with new bolts, and installing a shield.

This did nothing to eliminate the problem.

The disturbing humming and droning noise remains while driving between 40 - 45 mph. I am very concerned that something is amiss mechanically.

I ordered this Transit in November 2020 and have just received it several weeks ago after having a 2016 Transit. My 2016 made no such annoying noise ... it was just fine. So, what could have changed to cause this ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
The TSB is 21-2064. Unfortunately, I was unable to obtain a copy.

The service involved removing the rear driveshaft and installing a damper, possibly a new driveshaft with new bolts, and installing a shield.

This did nothing to eliminate the problem.

The disturbing humming and droning noise remains while driving between 40 - 45 mph. I am very concerned that something is amiss mechanically.

I ordered this Transit in November 2020 and have just received it several weeks ago after having a 2016 Transit. My 2016 made no such annoying noise ... it was just fine. So, what could have changed to cause this ?
My next try is to purchase and install the rear pinon nose damper. There was a tsb for this but it was for only up to 2017 models and nothing later. But I will purchase it anyways as its only 60 bucks.

241 - 260 of 270 Posts