Ford Transit USA Forum banner

221 - 240 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hoping for a more realistic pricing on the new for Ford Transit drive shaft damper.

On my repair ticket it stated the following number plus the Part number. This made the drone noise go away.
MT 202214A TSB 9244 WF
Part # LK4Z*4A263*C DAMPER - DRIVE SHAFT

Good Luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
this was his entire comment.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/472339682915770/user/100002550301860/?__cft__[0]=AZUsAd03ZfIaL-wEhpwj2v_e1QBrlmtjraPxHinm8XrZYvxVgDfyikCdcjeHAUwxM899EntJPAh5tZIWxGQUAmOuJOOfqtGlCYGvqpfkcX-yLD59b-kLAxor1YqVLI7kC82ajoGAO1QCvjrIXxoxPggfCYZZz-7axK5he9bkKd2Phw&tn=<,P-R
Tommy Nagy

·

Just wanted to share an issue I had with my 2020 T350 2wd 148 passenger van. Since the day I drove it off the lot, when I would get to 73-80 mph I would hear deep drone noise coming for rear of van, when I let off gas it would stop and if I hammered the gas at 73-80 mph it would get louder, so after few visits to the dealer and they put some chassis ears on it they said it was coming from rear differential and thought it was a bearing in differential, when I took it in today they told me that Ford Corp. had this issue with many other van and it was actually the part of the drive shaft that connect to u joint to differential said it was the angle of part they replaced that was causing vibration and the noise. My van does have the 2 1/2 inch Van Compass lift with 265-75-16, dealer just asked if I had the issue before lift and I did so they fixed it, Southbay Ford Commercial in Hawthorne , Ca they were great to work with in this, see pic of new part that was added, no more noise with new dampener.

A day later he shared a part #

202214A torsional damper kit

And this.

View attachment 141752
On my repair ticket it stated the following number plus the Part number. This made the drone noise go away.
MT 202214A TSB 9244 WF

Good Luck

·
Registered
17 350 XLT HD passenger van converted
249 Posts
I'm still not sure what this "drone" noise is. I have a noise that is present 45-60 mph and then 75 mph+ but its more like a noise buffering (when you have your rear passenger windows down). Is this what everyone refers to as "drone" noise?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's a harmonic sound that you hear at hi-way speeds.
MT 202214A TSB 9244 WF

Good Luck

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you can post a picture of the dampener that would be great. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: kazuo

·
Registered
2019 HR Cargo Oxford White 148 wb 3.7L
354 Posts
No luck finding that TSB 9244 at the NHTSA web site, maybe in the future. for a $150 I would buy it and try it, but at $1400 I will live with the noise that I have, mine is not very loud, but I would like to eliminate as much noise as I can.
This new damper mounting inline on the drive shaft vs the pinion nose damper mounting on the housing looks like it would do a better job of damping noise, They should install it as standard equipment.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Could you take a picture of your differential, drive shaft connection ? and post it here. When you goggle Part # LK4Z4A263C you get a price, but no image, it would be nice to confirm that the image posted by Michael Ophus is the same as your fix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could you take a picture of your differential, drive shaft connection ? and post it here. When you goggle Part # LK4Z4A263C you get a price, but no image, it would be nice to confirm that the image posted by Michael Ophus is the same as your fix.
Here are the pics, it’s looks massive and amazing!
26FCF401-8BE7-475F-80CB-FE1747386EB0.jpeg
1762099F-F8BA-469F-8DA9-8F6A69556B0A.jpeg
3A89AD0A-ABC5-4AA1-B099-2363AE43EA36.jpeg
26FCF401-8BE7-475F-80CB-FE1747386EB0.jpeg

·
Registered
221 Posts
yeah i dont have that on mine. But will check it out to see if the dealer can install if they can diagnose my issue. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2018 MR 130 Passenger XLT
82 Posts
I've got a different kind of drone noise from what you guys seen to be discussing here. In the case of my 2018 (37K miles) it is audible at all speeds and is speed sensitive (very low growl at 5 mph, to whine at highway speeds). High speed whine is less apparent because of the rest of the noises, the growl/drone is most obvious at about 15-20 mph when there's not much wind/road to drown it out. Seems unaffected by being in D, or N and coasting, or throttle application. Sounds for all the world like a wheel bearing to me, but is not affected by cornering. Dealer diagnosis is bad pinion bearing in the differential, so now waiting on warranty parts. I asked if they'd be willing to upgrade to the limited slip if I paid the difference in parts cost but they wouldn't go for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a different kind of drone noise from what you guys seen to be discussing here. In the case of my 2018 (37K miles) it is audible at all speeds and is speed sensitive (very low growl at 5 mph, to whine at highway speeds). High speed whine is less apparent because of the rest of the noises, the growl/drone is most obvious at about 15-20 mph when there's not much wind/road to drown it out. Seems unaffected by being in D, or N and coasting, or throttle application. Sounds for all the world like a wheel bearing to me, but is not affected by cornering. Dealer diagnosis is bad pinion bearing in the differential, so now waiting on warranty parts. I asked if they'd be willing to upgrade to the limited slip if I paid the difference in parts cost but they wouldn't go for it.
Ring gear noise, gets louder as you accelerate and less or none off the gas pedal. Differential issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My '17 MR EcoWAgon has been diagnosed with failing pinion bearing and a few other misc. expensive parts in the rear end. At 111k miles, it will cost around 2 grand (600+ parts, 179 diagnostic and 6 hrs labor - if I remember right) I was a bit dazed over the additional proposition of another round of warped exhaust manifold replacement.... after I already replaced the manifolds with beefy, after-market ones.

I have had all the other droning, rattling issues as well as this new, bearing-failing noise from the rear. But you can sometimes only tackle one problem at a time. Disregard this post if you ever see my van on the "for sale" pages of this forum. Its in perfect condition!

·
Registered
2018 MR 130 Passenger XLT
82 Posts
My '17 MR EcoWAgon has been diagnosed with failing pinion bearing and a few other misc. expensive parts in the rear end.
Well that's disappointing. At least mine is still under warranty. However, the dealer did just call me today to say that they had a setback. Apparently they managed to "break a shim" during the install so I'm not getting it back today after all. It's now 10 days since I dropped it off. I don't even know how you break a shim.

·
Registered
60 Posts
. I don't even know how you break a shim.
Probably by dropping it on the concrete...Then you don't have another one in stock so it has to be ordered.

I just received notice from Ford that the "final fix" is in for the driveshaft coupler so I am going to inquire if they can throw a little labor of my pinion job towards that one while they are at it. In case you are wondering, Safety Recall Notice 19S38 / NHTSA Recall 19V-767 basically says the "dealer will replace the front driveshaft section and install a universal joint..."

If it weren't for my pinion bearing failing, I would be tempted to wait a few 10's of thousands of miles before letting Ford replace the coupler, as I had it replaced not to long ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, just got my late year 2017 T150 w/ ~29k mi. back from the dealership. They performed the final drive shaft recall fix. It never made any noise before, now it makes the noise everyone is complaining about. I thought this repair was supposed to fix a problem, not cause one.

When I purchased the vehicle I looked to make sure it had a universal joint, because I’d heard about the flexible coupling issue. I think they still had some sort of issue with those models as well, because my VIN popped up as part of the recall.

My issue is like “ratherberiding”. It’s a very low pitched pulsating sound, increasing with speed until 60+. Peak noise 45-50mph. It is unaffected by coasting in neutral, or revving the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve got a 2015 350 Transit w/3.5 ecoboost. 85k mi. Dealer put in “permanent fix” in October which is the steel coupler with u-joint. Immediately after we have shaking and droning 40-60 mph. Dealer “re-orientated” the coupler with minimal impact on the shaking and droning. Argued with Ford customer care and they refused to do anything and told me they fulfilled their obligation with the recall and any problems associated with it are my problem now since I’m over 60k mi. I had a different shop balance the driveshaft since the front third is replaced with the new coupler. The new portion required 3 weights it was so out of balance. Ford stated it’s not necessary to balance new shafts as they are delivered balanced - obviously not the case here. The rebalance eliminated the shaking but the droning continues. A few days later (2nd week of October) Ford dealer calls me with brand new TSB 20-2214 that addresses the vibration/droning associated specifically with the new steel coupler. It is the inline pinion dampener described by others here. Ford care is refusing to cover it for my van because I have over 60k miles. They welcomed me to pay $2200 for it myself though🙄. Ford care then stated the dealer could initiate a help ticket for issues related to the recall but I can’t be part of that process. So now I’m waiting for the dealer to hear back from Ford on that. Ridiculous run around trying to get Ford to fix problems created by their poorly designed recall “permanent fix” that they acknowledge with the TSB. Hopefully I’ll have some positive news in the near future but I’m not optimistic.

·
Registered
354 Posts
That's the crazy expensive part, that some have had installed under warranty. This is good news.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ford finally got back to the dealer on the dealer “problem” with the recall. Ford offered to cover half of the $2200 damper and me pay the other half. Apparently the Ford customer care for customers and the dealer assistance for warranty problems are entirely separate and do not communicate between each other. The dealer therefore had a different case number and didn’t account for anything we had already been through. I took their case number and called customer care using the dealer case number to argue for full coverage of the damper. Customer care was not happy I had the dealer case number but thankfully modified the “offer” to cover the full cost of the damper which the dealer ordered and installed the next day. It has helped immensely with the droning we were experiencing.
Glad to have 5 months of fighting Ford over with...essentially over them refusing to cover the damper because we had 83k miles instead of 60k or less when they did the recall permanent fix. Hopefully the problems are over with.

221 - 240 of 270 Posts