Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I got away lucky, returning to my van after parking in downtown Oakland CA for 6 hours last night I found my drivers' side mirror hanging from a couple wires, the main mirror glass gone. I was half expecting a broken window and open doors (even though I had removed EVERYTHING from inside). Most of the streets are littered with broken car window glass along the sidewalks.

OK, the internal metal piece is snapped in half, but other than the missing glass everything looks fine. I'm going to attempt to put the thing together enough to use today, maybe drill some holes and use screws and glue. Has anyone dealt with this yet? Are there any sources for parts other than an entire new mirror assembly for $175?

·
Registered
140 Posts
The mirrors on my F250 are $1200 each. One of mine got a tiny scratch on them in an accident. I pocketed the $1200 and lived with the scratch. Luckily the Transit are cheaper.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Did a vehicle hit it? anything else bent?
I have not seen parts of a side mirror being sold. Through the parts diagram shows the individual pieces.

Lady hit drv side mirror my chevy truck 2 weeks after I bought it. Since then I fold my mirrors whenever I park a vehicle. Sorry!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The OEM from the dealer mirrors are about $300, the OEM from parts stores start at $180 but $210 is most common (non heated short arm).

It looks like another vehicle's mirror tagged mine. No other damage, but it meant that their mirror was less than 8" from the side of my van.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bench repairs underway. There is a small pot-metal spindle that is broken. It is held to the van arm by 3 small screws. The mirror assembly fits on it with a push-on compression nut holding a 1" i.d. spring. The compression/tension nut sprang somewhere I can't find it, but I'll look harder. The interior of the spindle is very close to 1", so I cut a small piece of 1" aluminum tubing to be a splint across the break. I am using JB Weld to hold it all together, and I put 3 pin of bicycle spoke bits through from the sides to help hold it. If this holds together and I can find the push-on spring holder, it should function as new. If it doesn't hold together, I'll be using gaffing tape to hold everything on until I can get a replacement. I would LOVE to be able to just buy the little spindle arm, but I'm sure that's not available. Not even to dealerships, because the standard mode of operation is to replace the entire assembly rather the single part that is broken.

I have my doubts that this will work, because my splint only goes 1/4" into the top section before it tapers. I may see if a second splint will fit inside the pair when it's dry. I'll have to splice the wires, but that's OK.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it's going to work for a while. I couldn't find the spring pushnut, so I used a 1/4-20 toggle bolt to hold it down the the spindle base. Now I have to order the glass!

·
Registered
285 Posts
FYI. For a temporary fix of the glass (e.g. in emergency kit on the road) many auto supply stores and gas stations have plastic mirror sheets you can cut to size and stick on.
I think it's going to work for a while. I couldn't find the spring pushnut, so I used a 1/4-20 toggle bolt to hold it down the the spindle base. Now I have to order the glass!

·
Registered
67 Posts
J-B Weld has also been my friend for two past mirror housing repairs and the repairs held up well. good luck

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arm in place and functional, I stopped by Daiso and bought a 6x8 goth-girl makeup mirror for $1.50 and put it on there with gaffing tape. Looks nice!
The factory replacement glass is ordered.
Whatever hit the mirror must have hit it directly on the glass, because there's not a mark anywhere on the plastic housing. The wide angle mirror is unscathed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Someone side swiped my mirror about a year ago. Luckily the only thing that broke was the main mirror. My Ford dealer parts guy said the mirror alone was more money than the CK4Z 17696 B Kit which is the main mirror along with the motor. Cost me $55 and I’ve got a spare motor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts