Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My post-purchase drive back from CO was deafening. When I close the door, the top frame kinda flaps and is pretty obviously not sealing. When I look at the door from the outside, there is not an even spacing all the way around. I'm guessing the hinges are wonky as opposed to the door being bent.

I have never done anything with car door hinges. Is this something that can be adjusted? If so, what is a good method to use?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have a problem with my passenger door whistling at high speed with a crosswind. The top of the frame pulls away from the body enough to allow a gap in the weatherstripping. Had it adjusted under warranty but nothing changed except now the body gaps are worse than before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
I too have the sliding door whistling in cross wind. Same deal, I had the dealer try to fix it but now the passenger door doesn’t shut as soundly as others.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
The rear door seals do that on mine when I open the driver side window driving at highway speeds, It makes a lot of noise and rolling up the window does not stop it. Only when I come to a complete stop does the wind noise stop, When I drive off it is fine. This does not happen at all at lower speeds

·
Registered
345 Posts
Doors are not the easiest thing to align due to their weight and the geometry of getting everything to fit just right. Even a very slight adjustment can make a huge difference and it's not always good.

That's one of the few things I would recommend just taking it to a body shop and let them adjust the door out for you. They know which bolts make it go which way. Trust me there is nothing like loosening a bolt and feeling a car door drop suddenly and then spending hours trying to just get it so it will close and latch again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On one hand, it's good to know it isn't only me. On the other hand, bummer. Sounds like good advice to take it to a body shop and let the pros handle it. I'm not that tall or that strong and I sure don't want to make it worse!

Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Mine was apparently sent out by the dealer to be adjusted by a body shop. Not sure they can really do a lot about it, there is a fair amount of flex in that giant door.

My theory is that the upturned windshield wiper on the passenger side creates some strong turbulence in a cross wind that sucks the door away from the body.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The hinges should or can have shims added to adjust for these issues along with weather stripping.
My front driver side door has sagged and will need to be adjusted AGAIN!

I think the hinges are a bit undersized for the large doors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My post-purchase drive back from CO was deafening. When I close the door, the top frame kinda flaps and is pretty obviously not sealing. When I look at the door from the outside, there is not an even spacing all the way around. I'm guessing the hinges are wonky as opposed to the door being bent.

I have never done anything with car door hinges. Is this something that can be adjusted? If so, what is a good method to use?
this may be the result of the door being opened too far (wind caught it) causing door check to fail bends hinges and door/pillar at hinge mount areas. doorstrappro.com sells a kit that incorporates a door strap. this kit is best installed before this happens or vehicle is new. the cost to repair this damage is overwhelming Call Door Strap Pro 313-295-0098doorstrappro.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts