Ford Transit USA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes, I agree with Hauling.
No wobble thus far, but we only use the van for recreation trips, probably 5000 miles - six months with the swivels.
No access to jack and equally on driver side no access to battery! I've tried to disconnect without removing the seat, but that did not work. Four allan wrench bolts and seat can be tilted forward. hey say, you need to torque them, but my allan wrench does not allow that...
We do not have powerseats (lucky you). Our van is a base model Cargo van and I did have to trim 1/8" of the left side of the plastic base of the seat so it clears the handbrake handle, no biggie. When swiveling one has to move the seat forward 1/2 swivel then backward and open the door for a fraction. Also no biggie. When we settle down on camp- we swivel once and in the morning swivel back. We love making use of both seats and the swivels give us plenty of living space.

Reactions: dray2009

·
Registered
347 Posts
Much thanks Haulin and Sierra. I've placed an order and hope to pick up this weekend. Appreciate yor feedback. Haulin, where in BC are you? I'm Squamish-based.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The brake cable was shortened by http://push-pull.com/ I mailed them my cable assembly and after talking to them over the phone it came back within a week. They shortened the outercable and swelted on a new end on the pull-cable a few inches shorter.
What did it take to remove the cable assembly, and do you remember who you talked to at push-pull? I am going to try and get the driver seat swivel done and would love to make it as easy as possible.
Thanks!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Tahoebear, the cable assembly is attached under the van to a pull rod with a clip. The rod runs back to where it attaches and splits to the left and right rear brake cables. My son was under the van and I was in the van when we pulled the cable assembly out (upwards through the floor). Make sure not to loose or damage the clip. Also the rod is held up / hangs by the cable assembly. So we removed it as well, otherwise you can't drive while waiting for the cable to be shortened.
If I had to do it again, I would take some pictures of how the cable assembly routes over and around the drive shaft and (I think as well) exhaust. When I had to put things back, my son was not around and I had to figure what the original route was.
After you have the e-brake bracket loose, carefully cut and fit the metal plate that covers the underfloor airbag electronics. This took a few tries cutting as little as possible to allow the brake assembly to be lowered and leaving as much as possible metal for sturdiness and attachment to the plastic brake cover.
I forgot who I dealt with at Push-Pull in June. 'David' is on the invoice. They are a small shop and I called them after the package was received to explain my write up. I wanted to avoid a 'cut once-still to short issue'. As I am a non-native English speaker, my writing can at times be cryptic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
RIB/Scopema install

Hey All - An update from the trenches. First off, thanks to all of the thread contributors, in particular SierraHiker who promptly answered a few IMs in good style. I just finished adding Scopema driver and passenger swivels. I went into this project with some trepidation because my van has a different mix of options. Here are some details:

The VAN:
148”WB low roof with the ecoboost
Quigley 4x4
Power seats
Dual HD batteries with modified vehicle wiring
A mix of additional wiring under the driver’s seat for a heater, pop top and a few other items.
Espar heater under the passenger seat in place of the jack.

The passenger side:
Pretty straightforward, the swivel fits well with a minor exception. One of the seat motors rubs ever so slightly on the swivel plate during seat adjustment (not rotation.) This proved to be the case on the driver’s side as well. You could ignore the rubbing but I chose to add a small shim to prop the support upward by about 10mm. This adjustment lifts the motor off of the plate. Otherwise, the passenger seat swivel is nice. There is no perceptible slop after about 10 trips and the height feels stock. Plastic trimming was required on the outside of the seat beneath the adjustment switches.

Steps required to swivel the passenger side:
Shift seat upward
Shift entire seat forward or shift the seat back angle forward
Open the door
Rotate swivel by pulling lever
It is possible to do all of this while sitting in the seat but it is not easy. The easier option is to operate the swivel while standing next to the seat with the door open.

The driver side:
The driver’s side was a bear to install but I’m really happy with the outcome. Scopema provides an E-brake adapter. Even with this adapter there are a bunch of mods needed to make everything play nice (at least in my case.) on the actual e-brake, I had to cut off a fixed nut and I had to wrestle the pressed threaded pins out of the remaining two holes (see pics). There were several other threaded pins sticking out of the seat base that had to be removed as well. In the end I hacksawed these pins off. I tried pounding them out but they would not budge. Additionally, My e-brake sheet metal brackets required quite a bit of trimming. I retained three threaded points for the bracket even after all of the trimming. On a positive note the lowered brake seems to do a much better job of protecting the removed bracket area. On to the battery plate: I trimmed some of the plastic ribbing off of the cover to ease the mounting of the swivel. As the swivel is tightened to the seat base this plastic battery cover is compressed approximately 4-8mm. I wish this was not the case, but there is plenty of clearance between that cover and the batteries below. Otherwise, The base doesn’t cause any issues with the wiring. The wiring harness for the seat passes through the center of the swivel with ease. Again, plastic trimming was required beneath the seat adjust buttons. Also, the motor rubs on the plate during adjustment on this side too. Once installed, these swivels are solid, free of slop and very low profile. If Ford’s 2018 e-brake solution can be retrofitted I would definitely go that route. It was not clear whether this would be an option so I decided to go the manual route. The height increase is not perceptible to me. I feel a very slight increase in fore/aft seat movement during acceleration but I’m intentionally trying to find things to report.

Steps required to swivel the driver’s side:
Shift the seat upward
Shift the entire seat forward
Shift the seat back angle forward
Lower the E-brake
Open the door
Move behind the seat
Reach forward to engage the lever and swivel away

If these swivels have a drawback I would say it relates to the offset. In my case, the seat barely clears the steering wheel. Otherwise, these RIB/Scopema swivels are solid and they’re designed to meet euro standards. Let me know if you have any questions. Also - a silver lining of the 4x4 option is that the brake cable routing works really well after the brake is lowered. My routing ended up much cleaner after the lowering. Prior to lowering the cable housing was forced against a shard edge in the frame. Lowering fully solved this issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey All - An update from the trenches. First off, thanks to all of the thread contributors, in particular SierraHiker who promptly answered a few IMs in good style. I just finished adding Scopema driver and passenger swivels. I went into this project with some trepidation because my van has a different mix of options. Here are some details...
Thanks for taking the time to document so thoroughly. Glad it worked out well for you. I have two Scopema swivels in my garage and will be curious to see how they install in my 2018 Transit (due next month) that has the "push down" parking brake feature. I'll document.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm trying to chase down Scopema swivels for both the driver's and passenger seats via Travois (Montreal and Richmond, BC). Does anybody know for certain if these will work with leather seats that are both electric and heated?

·
Registered
842 Posts
****. When did they start offering heated seats? Every time I've gotten in the van this winter I've been mildly annoyed with Ford for not offering them in 2016.

paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Power leather heated seats are an option in the 2018 models (premier package). The one I've ordered also has an option (CND$225) to have the e-brake moved out of the way, although I haven't seen it yet. The salesperson said it should be mounted under the dash as in many vehicles, which suggests it's out of the way for seat swiveling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the Info!!!

Hey, I am new to this forum thing too.
I just wanted to thank you for the Links and DIY steps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed my passenger side Scopema seat swivel that I bought for 412.87 + $30 shipping (to Colorado), $442.87 total from Winnebago.

The install was straight forward, but no installation parts were included and the original bolts and nuts interfered with swivelling. For mounting the swivel to the seat, I purchased a shorter set of bolts and nuts and for mounting the swivel to the seat base, I used "Uxcell a16011300ux0920 Socket Screws M8x30mm 10.9 Carbon steel Countersunk head Hex Socket Screws" that I bought on Amazon.

At the time, I couldn't find a driver side Scopema swivel, but I might still get one. I am a little intimidated by the emergency brake lowering and cable rerouting or shortening. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used "Uxcell a16011300ux0920 Socket Screws M8x30mm 10.9 Carbon steel Countersunk head Hex Socket Screws" that I bought on Amazon.
Perfect.

I went the same route, ordered from Winnebago and paid the same. Took only 6 days to get! More $$ but I actually HAVE it, and just in time for summer. They still have a few in stock...

I thought I read here somewhere that the driver side swivel is the same mount, but have also seen posts saying differently, one from NomadVanz, a dealer in CA that installs them I believe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The bracket that Scopema offers (without instructions or images) is a Y shaped metal plate that lowers the brake ~2 inches.
SierraHiker, Did the Y-shaped adapter come with the Scopema seats you ordered from NomadVanz? I'm on their site, and the description of the driver's-side seat doesn't mention the adapter. Do you have to order specifically and/or separately.

Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
SierraHiker, Did the Y-shaped adapter come with the Scopema seats you ordered from NomadVanz? I'm on their site, and the description of the driver's-side seat doesn't mention the adapter. Do you have to order specifically and/or separately.

Thanks!
Never mind. I was looking at the description, not the product title: "Driver’s Sider + Passenger’s Side Seat Swivels Including Hand Break Adapter"

·
Registered
291 Posts

Thanks!
Maidel,

When I ordered the swivels I listed the adapter separately. I can't find the exact order, but this is what found in an email exchange with NomadVanz
CBTO19G2C Driver side

Handbrake lower adapter Ref. ACAFMTC

CBTO19D2C Passenger side

Reactions: maidel

·
Registered
20 Posts
I purchased both scopema sides but only installed the passenger side. If you are interested in the driver side I just listed it for sale on this forum.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Battery Ground Disconnect

Has anybody made a mod to allow disconnecting Battery Ground with the driver side swivel in place?

In my case I need to remove the swivel (/seat) to disconnect even the NEG/GRND connection to the starter battery.
It would be great to have a way to avoid that. The seat with attached swivel is a heavy beast and difficult to handle.
When I have others working on it, I actually remove the swivel so they have access to the battery when sliding the seat forward.

Relates to:
https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/camper-vans-conversions/73852-scopema-swivels-available-now.html#post980680

61 - 80 of 97 Posts