Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
that eurocampers swivel might be fine. be sure your electrical connectors/harness can fit through that pivot -- not only might the connectors not fit, but it constrains the movement of the harness more than the larger swivelsrus pivot. and you'll _definitely_ need to relocate your jack. with the swivelsrus product, and my power seats, i can just barely get the jack out from its hiding place. (i'll probably move it anyway, because even though i can get the jack in and out, a) i'm not sure my wife would be able to, and b), i can't always get the rubber strap hooked/unhooked, especially when it's cold out.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lowered ebrake

I lowered my ebrake yesterday. A million thanks to Freeriden and Antoine for the clear and lucid instructions. This project looks daunting but was actually was pretty simple. My advice:
1) take pictures during the battery removal to help you put it back in correctly.
2) use an oscillating saw to remove the welded on nut and to re-configure the baseplate.

The first picture shows how I modified the baseplate. The plate now slides easily under the brake after the brake is re-positioned.
The second picture shows how I modified the upper piece of plastic to allow the brake lever to drop completely down. There is now a slight interference with the rotating seat base that I'll fix by putting 2 washers under the swivel plate to raise it up enough to clear the plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
You can get the swivels from Nomad Vanz in Vancouver (Canada) for 325Can$ each (+ shipping, import duties, and taxes), which is a lot cheaper than buying from Winnebago which was quoted at 389 US$ in the US, and 580ish Can$ in Canada (in both cases the prices don't include shipping, import duties from Europe and taxes).
Lead time with Nomad Vanz is 6 to 8 weeks though, since the swivels are built on order and are shipped by boat from what I've been told. Pretty sure you can get them faster if you pay for Air Freight.

Guys at Nomad Vanz were very friendly and helpful, I highly recommend them.

Note there is a driver swivel (Ref.CBTO19G2C), a passenger swivel (Ref.CBTO19D2C) and the handbrake adapter (Ref.ACAFMTC) to lower the handbrake. I don't know if the handbrake adapter works on our north american Transit or if it is specific to European models.. will see when I get the parts.

I was hoping to hear how you made out with these swivels and the handbrake lowering kit. Did you instal them yet?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wanted to comment on Nomad Vanz in Vancouver, BC. Contacted them in April after reading this thread and was given the price quote for $325 Canadian + tax + shipping. Friendly email exchange and I was told I would be added to a waitlist and contacted after the next batch came in. Followed up in June as I had not heard anything and was told the first shipment was in and sold, next one would be in a month or so and was referred to the Ford Transit guy at Nomad. Checked in again today and was given a new price quote:

"Our batch of Scopema swivels and handbrake adapters from France will arrive in our shop mid-August.

Pricing is as follows:

Driver's side swivel: $499.00 (Canadian dollars).
Passenger swivel: $499.00 (Canadian dollars).
Handbrake adapter: $49.00 (Canadian dollars).

Taxes and shipping are extra."

Replied with a copy of the original $325 CAD quote and received the following disappointing response:

"Hello.

The pricing I just gave you is correct.

Feedback on the performance of the Scopema swivels has been extremely positive."

Bummer.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks I bought my swivel from Nomad Vanz just on time at 325$

·
Registered
425 Posts
I got the same email for $499 per etc and have had great communications with Nomad Vanz but I would really like to hear from someone who has installed them to see if it's worth the $1050 for both and the adapter. They were so kind to send the instructions to instal the handbrake adapter but I have no idea how it solves the height issue, or if it actually does.

maricard maybe you can shed some light there and info on how happy you are with the swivels themselves ?

·
Registered
842 Posts
what would make this swivel so much pricier than the swivels'r-us swiveler? i'm pretty happy with our swivels'r-us for the passenger seat.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought the swivel from www.nomadvanz.com. It was a bit long to receive it; more than two month. But i couldn't be happier. 525 CAN$ +/- 390 US$

There is an electrical harness attached under the seat. With Scopema you are able to run it easily thru the swivel.
The hole pattern in the swivel match perfectly with the van and the seat.
Seat height = 1 inch (less than many other)
the lever is perfect size
The Scopema swivel operates fine, but is not as smooth as I thought
If you “shake” the seat the wobble is not really noticeable.
The purchase experience is not up to our expectation; communication wasn't easy

TIME SPENT ON THE JOB: 30 minutes (passenger side only)

i'm pretty happy with

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry it took me some time to answer but I was (and still am) very busy working on the van before leaving for vacations... and I wanted my experience with the seller to be complete before giving full info.
I went to pick up my Scopema swivels yesterday.

I bought a pair of swivels + the handbrake adapter in early march.. shipping has been really, really, really long because the freight forwarder in Europe had some family problem and its operations have been completely stopped for more than 5 weeks..
Anyway, regardless of the shipping delay, which was out of anyone's control here, here are some points that might be useful for potential buyer.

- bought the swivels from Brie-Bron Holdings / Travois vans, here in the Montreal area (Quebec, Canada). It's a "new" company so finding info on the web is very hard and you have to call them / send e-mails to work with them. They are an official Scopema dealer.
- They are very nice and friendly, my contact there is Daniel (the owner I guess), [email protected]
- Yeah the shipping was super long but it's usually ways faster.
- It's shipped by boat, airfreight would definitely be faster but it's a 250ish EUROS extra.
- Since it's shipped by boat, you'd have to wait for Daniel to have a container full of stock before it leaves Europe.
- Scopema swivels are manufactured on demand, so if the seller has no stock it basically takes 4-5 weeks before it leaves from the manufacturer to the freight forwarder.
- Quality looks very good as mentioned by other persons, can't wait to install that !
- Now for the price, I was the first person to buy the Ford Transit Swivel from him and it was part of a larger order, his market is more focused on VW or Mercedes. So I had a price that I still can't understand, expect the pricing to go up a bit for next orders. I paid Can$450 for both swivels + the brake adapter !
- They ordered an extra set of swivels, so they have one for sale that's already here if anyone's interested...

It's a small company, don't expect to have answers 5 minutes after you asked a question.. especially if he receives 500 mails in the next hour because of this message !
Will try to take pictures tonight.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can someone please post a picture of both front seats swiveled facing the factory second row 3-seater seat? How much leg room is left between the front seats and the second row seat? I wonder if I can use this as an eating area with a simple tabletop using the 3-seater and the front seats.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Can someone please post a picture of both front seats swiveled facing the factory second row 3-seater seat? How much leg room is left between the front seats and the second row seat? I wonder if I can use this as an eating area with a simple tabletop using the 3-seater and the front seats.
It would be mildly amazing if someone has a wagon with both swivel seats in front and with a second row of seats.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It would be mildly amazing if someone has a wagon with both swivel seats in front and with a second row of seats.
Why would that be? Is it because there's no room to swivel back the front seats to have a reasonable amount of legroom?
Even a picture of the passenger front seat swiveled and a 3-seat 2nd row would be great.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Why would that be? Is it because there's no room to swivel back the front seats to have a reasonable amount of legroom?
Even a picture of the passenger front seat swiveled and a 3-seat 2nd row would be great.
So few have put in swivel seats on both sides in the first place, the motivation for doing it for a wagon seems highly unlikely because of what you mention.

Now that you have me thinking about it I've even begun to wonder how they do work out on the driver side with the steering wheel being another limiting factor.

When I installed my passenger swivel I took someone else's suggestion and reversed the swivel base. That was a mistake that I had to undo. Reversing it slightly offset it such that the seat was slightly closer to the front and you could crunch your legs between the seat and the dash by moving it forward too much.

·
Registered
291 Posts
In a separate post lowering the e-brake was discussed.
http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/ford-transit-general-discussion/51442-emergency-break-where-do-you-move-what-system-do-you-use-its-place-3.html#post672513

I will give some details on how I installed both Scopema swivels with the e-brake lowering bracket.

The bracket that Scopema offers (without instructions or images) is a Y shaped metal plate that lowers the brake ~2 inches (picture 1)(measure, don't take my word for it). This is enough for the Scopema swivels to clear the brake, but only when not engaged. After I swivel the driver seat the parking brake can be engaged again (no big issue unless on a steep slope where I can't camp comfortably anyhow). The Y shape plate with holes aligns with three bolts that fasten the parkingbrake to the seat base (picture 3). In addition to removing one bolt on the parkingbrake base I had to cut some pieces of the metal plate (picture 2) that holds the plastic shroud of the e-brake and cut the plastic covers to make all work. I cut the whole top off and lowered it using VHB tape to put it together again. Looks good (no picture now). In the end I also had to cut still 1/8" of the plastic on the left side of the chair. It was still rubbing.
The airbag controller is still covered and protected by the metal and e-brake with plastic shroud above it. The cable needed to be shortened (picture 4) so all fits nicely without any rubbing parts below the van going through the floor and around the drive shaft. My solution does not open up the space between the seats but allows me to have both the passenger and driver seats swivel, which was a top list requirement.
Resources: Scopema swivels were ordered from http://nomadvanz.com/ in Canada early in March and install was in June after they arrived in May. They were very helpful with the order. Scopema in France never answered my emails.
The brake cable was shortened by http://push-pull.com/ I mailed them my cable assembly and after talking to them over the phone it came back within a week. They shortened the outercable and swelted on a new end on the pull-cable a few inches shorter.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Semper Fi.

What is the name, company name and city/town where he is located (who did your e-brake)?
Or the Companies phone #?

Maybe I can hire them to install mine as I will be all over the U.S. in September,

Thank you,
Erik

·
Registered
291 Posts
Lowering the e-Brake cover

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/ford-transit-general-discussion/51442-emergency-break-where-do-you-move-what-system-do-you-use-its-place-3.html#post672513

I will give some details on how I installed both Scopema swivels with the e-brake lowering bracket.

The bracket that Scopema offers (without instructions or images) is a Y shaped metal plate that lowers the brake ~2 inches (picture 1)(measure, don't take my word for it). This is enough for the Scopema swivels to clear the brake, but only when not engaged. After I swivel the driver seat the parking brake can be engaged again (no big issue unless on a steep slope where I can't camp comfortably anyhow). The Y shape plate with holes aligns with three bolts that fasten the parkingbrake to the seat base (picture 3). In addition to removing one bolt on the parkingbrake base I had to cut some pieces of the metal plate (picture 2) that holds the plastic shroud of the e-brake and cut the plastic covers to make all work. I cut the whole top off and lowered it using VHB tape to put it together again. Looks good (no picture now). In the end I also had to cut still 1/8" of the plastic on the left side of the chair. It was still rubbing.
The airbag controller is still covered and protected by the metal and e-brake with plastic shroud above it. The cable needed to be shortened (picture 4) so all fits nicely without any rubbing parts below the van going through the floor and around the drive shaft. My solution does not open up the space between the seats but allows me to have both the passenger and driver seats swivel, which was a top list requirement.
Resources: Scopema swivels were ordered from http://nomadvanz.com/ in Canada early in March and install was in June after they arrived in May. They were very helpful with the order. Scopema in France never answered my emails.
The brake cable was shortened by http://push-pull.com/ I mailed them my cable assembly and after talking to them over the phone it came back within a week. They shortened the outercable and swelted on a new end on the pull-cable a few inches shorter.
Here two pictures how I lowered the e-Brake cover so the driver seat clears the lowered e-Brake handle with Scopema swivel and hand brake adaptor. I cut the e-Brake cover along the 'ridge' halfway the cover. The top part then fits inside the lower part and overlays as much as the brake is lowered, about an inch. The overlaying sides are stuck together with VHB tape and two screws (see arrows). At the front is a small gap, big enough to loose your keys in :( Any elegant suggestion to hide this?

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
Here two pictures how I lowered the e-Brake cover so the driver seat clears the lowered e-Brake handle with Scopema swivel and hand brake adaptor. I cut the e-Brake cover along the 'ridge' halfway the cover. The top part then fits inside the lower part and overlays as much as the brake is lowered, about an inch. The overlaying sides are stuck together with VHB tape and two screws (see arrows). At the front is a small gap, big enough to loose your keys in :( Any elegant suggestion to hide this?
Kydex.

We use that stuff for aircraft panels. 0.060" thick.

Make a wooden puck that fits into that slot, with about 1/4" clearance around it. Smooth rounded corners.

Trim some Kydex to fit.

Heat it up, or use a heat gun, and form it over the wooden form. You should end up with a nice pocket thing for cell phone, small notebook, etc.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fun-With-KYDEX/

·
Registered
347 Posts

Great post thanks:

- Any post install wobble?
- Any power seat issues?
- Can you still access the jack?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I might be able to answer your questions.

1) The jack you’ll have to relocate or know you’ll have to remove the bolts and lift or tilt the seat to get at it. Honestly as often as a person wants to use the stock jack it would only be 4 bolts and you have access.

2) With the power seats I did have to trim the plastic outer side of the seat so it would clear the seat base to swivel.....not rocket appliances but you will need to trim. I slide the power seat to where it will clear the B pillar and then raise the seat as high as possible then swivel it. You could cut more plastic to eliminate this step but it’s as simple as hitting a button to raise it and I wanted the seat to look stock.

3)I personally haven’t noticed any wobbles , these swivels are very well made and you’ll realize that when you pick them up , they have some weight to them.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts