Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the snow-covered van out of the drive forgetting the extension cord passed through the rear door handle. :blush: Shame on me for neglecting to put the @orton velcro reminder on the steering wheel. :rolleyes:

The handle popped off, but some plastic is missing from the latch end, so I know I'll be buying a replacement. It's about 5 degrees out, so I'd like to know what I'm facing ahead of time for the repair. Has anyone here removed / replaced this part? Will it will be necessary to pull off the interior panel to remove the piece that broke off inside, or can I get at them from the outside?

·
Registered
356 Posts
you'll have to put it together from the inside because the handle is going to be on the outside.

That being said, it'll probably be a lot easier to finish taking apart from the inside.

·
Registered
356 Posts

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Another useful idea is to locate the shore power connection at the driver door. Much better chance of remembering that you are connected before driving off.

I am particularly sensitive to driving off with something connected. Was very embarrassed one summer when I was working on a Forest Service fire crew during college summer vacation. Drove off with the fuel pump nozzle in the fill tube. Ripped the hose right off the fuel pump and dragged it down the road.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another useful idea is to locate the shore power connection at the driver door. Much better chance of remembering that you are connected before driving off.

I am particularly sensitive to driving off with something connected. Was very embarrassed one summer when I was working on a Forest Service fire crew during college summer vacation. Drove off with the fuel pump nozzle in the fill tube. Ripped the hose right off the fuel pump and dragged it down the road.
Luckily, it was too cold for anyone to be out there watching....

I thought about your advice when planning, but decided there is too much going on in the vicinity of the driver side B-pillar with the modded diesel filler, fuel tank and Espar under the seat, so my shore inlet ended up at the back. I got nifty velcro bicycle rider cuffs at New Belgium Brewery during the winter Bike to Work Day that make great reminder straps.

In this case, I forgot to use the reminder because it wasn't the van that was plugged in. It was a trouble light in a box sitting on the roof under some moving blankets and a tarp to incubate the 3M 4200 sealant of a new rear view driving camera installation despite a single digit winter storm. Everything got covered with snow, I got distracted clearing the windshield, and the rest is history. It would have been no problem had I not run the extension cord through the door handle to keep the connection off the ground in anticipation of snow. A mistake unlikely to be repeated. Fortunately, it looks like an easy fix. I think the door handles are designed to fail without damaging the internals if pulled too hard.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the replacement handle to snap into place but had a devil of a time getting the smaller plastic stop to go back in. The video shows it just sliding right in, but for me it's bumping up on something about halfway in. I finally got it in and snugged the torx screw, but the handle is dragging when opening and doesn't return by itself - I have to push it back manually. The door won't latch when closing if the handle is not in the return position. Grr. Snorting like the guy in the video, then ran out of daylight.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fiddled with it some more until I decided, one, it's working, and two... excuse me, those guys in the white coats with the big net seem to be looking for someone, I'll just use this nice handle to open the door and hide inside the van until they're gone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts