Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Does the center console get in the way? (up fitter package)

574 9
Looking at putting together an order,
does the center console obstruct getting to the back?

thank you

Richard
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The main difference is how much room you have for your feet to slide between the seat frame and the bottom of the console. The large size center console has less room.

I ordered my van before all the covid issues and was able to test out both size consoles in vans on a dealer lot, large and medium. The medium had considerably more room so I ordered the van with the medium size console instead of the large console, meaning no upfitter package or trailer brake controller. But I have zero plans to tow anything often. If I need to tow, I will install an aftermarket brake controller. Now, if I was planning on towing all the time, I might change my mind, but the difference in room is considerable IMO.

The large console is angled at the top, so there really is no difference getting your leg through, it is more about room at the bottom for your feet.

Without trying it on for size, it is going to be difficult to tell what the difference is for your foot size, where you position the seat etc....

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Looking at putting together an order,
does the center console obstruct getting to the back?

thank you

Richard
Yes, get the smaller one. I'm very glad I did. I still come pretty close to bumping my knees but it's just enough. I'm 6'2".

Others have also noted they hit the upfitter switches when moving to the back. It's something to consider.

Cheers.

·
Registered
Silver 2020 250, HR 148, AWD ecoboost
55 Posts
We ordered our van with the smaller one and I’m glad we did. I actually think it might be more annoying for shorter people because after my wife has been driving the seat is so far forward it’s hard to get through. That being said I haven’t been in a van with a larger one since we were first looking.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the large console and I can just barely get my size 14s through. At first, it was a PITA but I’ve become used to squeezing between. Storage space is scant in my 130 so i like it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have a 2019 with the upfitter switches on the only dash avail in 2019. The switches are useless and in the way. The extended dash that they are mounted on is also in the way. In 2019 you couldn't delete the extended dash thingy AFAIK.

I guess I am saying I'd delete whatever is sticking out to make it (much) easier to move back and forth.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Does anyone out there know if the largest size console is totally mandatory when ordering the SYNC 4 package (360 cam, side sensing, BLIS, high res camera, iACC) ? Is there a way to get the highest SYNC 4 package and the smaller console together when ordering?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Does anyone out there know if the largest size console is totally mandatory when ordering the SYNC 4 package (360 cam, side sensing, BLIS, high res camera, iACC) ? Is there a way to get the highest SYNC 4 package and the smaller console together when ordering?
The "Medium" console is the default for all but the Passenger XLT.

The "Large" Console is only required if you get the Upfitter switches or the Trailer Brake Controller.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts