does cigarette lighter socket ever turn off ??--
is it on a timer ??-
my radio stays on for about 15 minutes then shuts off-

I am installing a dash cam and need circuit that
powers down at some point in time - Thanks

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The cigar lighter on my Transit times out about 30 minutes after ignition off.

It was not suitable as it left things lit up unwantedly at night.

I installed a separate dual USB and cigar plug above the parcel shelf. I connected it to an upfitter switch to give me shutdown at ignition off, or anytime while driving.

It also brings the feed down from the shelf instead of up from the dash.

Reactions: GROOVY2

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks guys -

are the wires that are in the overhead storage on
a Timed circuit also ???

would like to power it from there -

being on 30 minutes could be ok or Great or not -

I put a polarizing CPL filter on dash cam to remove glare from glass -
It works - its surprising how good it works -

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I ran my own 20a cct from the upfitter connector under the seat pedestal, up to the shelf.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
thanks guys -

are the wires that are in the overhead storage on
a Timed circuit also ???

would like to power it from there -

being on 30 minutes could be ok or Great or not -

I put a polarizing CPL filter on dash cam to remove glare from glass -
It works - its surprising how good it works -
The wires in the map light are on the same circuit. They all go off with the accessory plugs in 30 minutes. I use them for all accessory powered items. I like it because it keeps my dash cam on for 30 minutes instead of it turning off immediately. Also keeps my screens on and phone chargers. If I'm working at a site the phone will charge the whole time especially if I open the doors before the 30 minutes are up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, just to be clear if I'm running one of those cup holder inverters that plugs into the 12v cigarette lighter and have a laptop plugged in it will power down in 30 minutes?

·
Super Moderator
4,057 Posts
So, just to be clear if I'm running one of those cup holder inverters that plugs into the 12v cigarette lighter and have a laptop plugged in it will power down in 30 minutes?
Yes.

And if by chance you need to keep it going another 30 minutes all you have to do is use the key fob to unlock or lock the doors.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It is a stupid design, I ran a 12V socket from the battery to the cargo side of my bulkhead with an inverter so I can charge tools and equipment without losing power.

·
Super Moderator
4,057 Posts
It is a stupid design, I ran a 12V socket from the battery to the cargo side of my bulkhead with an inverter so I can charge tools and equipment without loosing power.
I like knowing that what I have plugged in will stay active while I run in a store or something yet not drain the battery when I go in the house overnight. That is why I have my auxiliary panel triggered by the 30 minute circuit which is perfect for most scenarios.

However, I appreciate Sprinter Owner's desire to keep things powered up which is why I included a lighted override switch for constant power. My 4 year old grandson now knows to turn on the "blue light" so he can pause his movie on the TV while we go into a restaurant for an hour or so.

·
Registered
760 Posts
does cigarette lighter socket ever turn off ??--
is it on a timer ??-
my radio stays on for about 15 minutes then shuts off-

I am installing a dash cam and need circuit that
powers down at some point in time - Thanks

Yep, That's exactly the set up I have...but the timeout is 30 minutes on my van. I like it because I leave the dash cam plugged in and on a very short stop, I catch everything that goes on in front of my van!

I do hope at some distant time I will have a 12v put in the center top light unit so I don't have to feed the dash cam wire down and about.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Mine does not turn off at all. I think my lights do. I had left my GPS unit plugged into the power socket under the radio and when it turned nightfall I noticed a glow out in the van (GPS screen). I think my alarm installer jumped it with a relay by instructions from Viper tech support as my alarm was always going off at the time-out occurrence. It was possibly door sensor related since the alarm always would indicate that zone. I (nor he I am sure) didn't realize at the time that he was defeating my "power save" algorithm. I will try to clarify this with all scenarios when I get up to my shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine does not turn off at all. I think my lights do. I had left my GPS unit plugged into the power socket under the radio and when it turned nightfall I noticed a glow out in the van (GPS screen). I think my alarm installer jumped it with a relay by instructions from Viper tech support as my alarm was always going off at the time-out occurrence. It was possibly door sensor related since the alarm always would indicate that zone. I (nor he I am sure) didn't realize at the time that he was defeating my "power save" algorithm. I will try to clarify this with all scenarios when I get up to my shop.
I have the same issue on mine. This is my first transit and it’s a 2014. I left my GPS plugged into it to test it out and checked on it approximately an hour and a half later and it was still powered up. I pulled the fuse for that socket and it does lose power. So I know it’s wired directly into the proper fuse. Any ideas on what could be keeping this thing on?

·
Registered
ordered 4/26/21 130" LR Crew EB R1Z
85 Posts
Read threads on FORSCAN. Your van has a feature that can be set using forscan giving you a variety of ON time settings or always on setting for your lights and accessory outlets. On some Fords this can also be accessed with the settings feature on the steering wheel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts