Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of specking my new HR, AWD, EXT, T250. Will likely order next week. Had a moment yesterday when I thought - I wonder when the 2022's come out?

I searched online and only found info on the new E-Transit (not an option for me), but nothing else. Is anyone here in the know about when the new models generally roll over to the newer year, or of there is any info on anticipated changes for 2022?

Thx.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
My best guess based on past observations is that Ford makes zero major changes for about 5-10 years on most truck models.
They have to add SOMETHING each year to make it seem "improved" over the previous year, and that's often a negligible electronic gizmo, such as one more position available on the 10-position elec adjustable seat (turn it up to 11!). Most of these "improvements" are things that could be easily bolted on by the owner, and/or sourced as aftermarket products. Another thing they will change are plastic trim pieces, such as the appearance of the grill.

Changes to body, chassis, drivetrain, and other major functional components only happen every 5-10 years. This may change, they may become more like Foreign vehicle companies and make major changes every few years, but that cuts into their profits. It has been rumored that the Transit will be offering Electric drivetrain in the next year or two; but that is of zero interest to members of this forum, who are all trying to make a DIY RV out of a cargo van. The even more rare rumor is an adaption of the F150 hybrid drivetrain for the Transit, which would be ideal for Transits being turned into DIY RVs. The onboard power plant would be able to operate all necessary camping equipment, such as Keurigs, microwaves, elec heaters, tanning beds, 10,000 lumen perimeter lights, elec water heaters and pumps, 60" 8k TVs, elec fridge/freezer, Shiatsu massage chairs (camp version, with a howling wolf in front of a moon stitched into the leather), moving sidewalk from front to rear of van, and other comforts of home.

As for when the next year's models come available, it seems like they start showing up on the lots in the Fall of the previous year. I would guess that "custom orders" could be made sometime in the later Spring. CrewVanMan can tell us more precise timeframe for such things.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
In a normal year the new models come out in July or August because I remember hating myself for buying mine in June, When all I had to do was wait another month and I could have had a 2017.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In the process of specking my new HR, AWD, EXT, T250. Will likely order next week. Had a moment yesterday when I thought - I wonder when the 2022's come out?

I searched online and only found info on the new E-Transit (not an option for me), but nothing else. Is anyone here in the know about when the new models generally roll over to the newer year, or of there is any info on anticipated changes for 2022?

Thx.
Covid has impacted many things. MY2020 production carried into Dec 2020, with some deliveries in January 2021. MY2021 started building January with parts hiccups in some cases. There are two questions IF Ford decides to get back to a fall roll out. When do MY2022 units start building and when does the order system close for MY2021? My guess, Sept builds for fall MY2022s. Order system closing for 2021s, hard to tell. Close in June to cease production by end of August? Recent orders have been scheduling in April. Dealer allocation for a High Roof will factor into this. Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Thx.
I think it may depend on how the supply chain goes this year. if there are one or two small insubstantial parts in short of supply then Ford may decide to delete that option and roll out 2022 earlier. I was shocked when I saw 2022 Honda Odyssey on Honda website back in January because Honda couldn’t get enough in-trunk vacuum part then decided to go for 2022 with this option deleted only after a very short period of manufacturing 2021.

the situation in pandemic could be similar to Ford. I heard from my local dealer that Ford is very slow on making MY2021 and the website still not updated which is unusual so it is possible that they will make MY2022 very early.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Past history other than the last 2 years has the order dates end on or about June 1st and you can start ordering the NEW model in July. Scheduled build dates for the 2021 model would run through the end of August and the NEW model would start after Labor Day (September 6th this year). This would make the 2021 model having the shortest production run from any past year and with the possibility of Ford advancing the 2022 model with the E-Transit possibly coming early for production (possibly for Amazon before the Christmas holidays like in 2019) you may find it hard to order a 2022 model and get it in the fall or winter months.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Past history other than the last 2 years has the order dates end on or about June 1st and you can start ordering the NEW model in July. Scheduled build dates for the 2021 model would run through the end of August and the NEW model would start after Labor Day (September 6th this year). This would make the 2021 model having the shortest production run from any past year and with the possibility of Ford advancing the 2022 model with the E-Transit possibly coming early for production (possibly for Amazon before the Christmas holidays like in 2019) you may find it hard to order a 2022 model and get it in the fall or winter months.
Do you think it is necessary to rust proof the undercarriage of new transit given normal city driving condition? Is Ford's latest factory rust proof good enough for the real world?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do you think it is necessary to rust proof the undercarriage of new transit given normal city driving condition? Is Ford's latest factory rust proof good enough for the real world?
I had mine done in summer and winter is not over here but so far I can see a bit of difference to the other car that did not get it, end of winter will tell. When I added the running board is the parts were well protected. It does make it a bit oily, but good for salty areas like NH. It does need to be applied each year.
This is what I used.
I've had fords rust out on me early in these conditions. If the shop does a good job and gets all the parts from all side like the brake line etc it can save a lot, I'm hoping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts