Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those of you that have installed Motion Windows, did you notice much distortion of the sheet metal once your install was complete?

Just finished install of slider window and have some serious distortion. Have look at it closely to make sure its not bound up somewhere and it appears to be sitting and installed correctly.

Going to give them a call later this morning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Motion Windows slider installed behind the drivers, I had it installed using a custom/restoration shop here in Salt Lake.
It cost me more for the install than it did for the window. However it has no distortion and I'm quite pleased with the result.

What roof height do you have? Mine is a low roof.
I don't have a picture, I'll go out and get one in the daylight tomorrow. Stay tuned..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Motion Windows installed mine and there is some distortion. The van walls are curved and the windows are two flat planes that bend in the middle.........

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I installed all 4 Motion Windows yesterday, 1 each side of the high/med T-1 and T-2 behind driver/passenger seats and 1 each side of the SS-Passenger/Driver in the rear. Very happy with the look but everyone has causes some amount of distortion to the sheet metal. I understand that the surfaces are curved and the windows are flat. Oh well, wish they didn't but they do, still very happy with the look and function and I guess a small amount is to be expected. I am happy to say that the construction of these windows is top notch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I feel like a step is being skipped

When I would mount flat things to the curved hull of my sailboat, I'd make a plate for both halves that would account for the curve and give a flat surface on both sides for the thing (in this case the window) to sandwich.

I get a window is pretty large, but it would be doable...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
848 Posts
Wait a minute...I thought the whole point of these custom windows was to match the curve of the exterior?

There are hundreds of flat RV windows on eBay right now, in a variety of sizes and configurations, for a fraction of the price of the Motion Windows, and I wouldn't have to wait two months to get them.

I would love to see some photos.

·
Registered
101 Posts
They do match the curve of the van but they do it with one bend. Motion will make the windows any width you like but the height is limited to the examples they offer on their website that more or less match the van's curved wall.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Wait a minute...I thought the whole point of these custom windows was to match the curve of the exterior?

There are hundreds of flat RV windows on eBay right now, in a variety of sizes and configurations, for a fraction of the price of the Motion Windows, and I wouldn't have to wait two months to get them.

I would love to see some photos.

They do match the bend but with a single bend mid point in the window but they do distort the sheet metal slightly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the rear window (10” High?) have distortion too, or is it just the big window. Love those wheels!

There is a small amount of distortion too around the rear windows

Adventure van build
2018 Transit LWB HR EXT
3.2L Diesel
IG @velo_van_gogh

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just installed my quarter slider in about the same spot as yours but only driver side. I can notice a little bit of distortion at the bottom left if I look hard, but I figured it was because of my shoddy hole cutting:|

I personally don't detect any of the distortion in your pictures. Also - really digging your wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
To those of you that have installed Motion Windows, did you notice much distortion of the sheet metal once your install was complete?

Just finished install of slider window and have some serious distortion. Have look at it closely to make sure its not bound up somewhere and it appears to be sitting and installed correctly.

I've been wondering the same thing about these (and other) windows. I want to install the CR Laurence 19 x 38" awning window behind the driver's seat and I'm concerned about it not matching the curvature of the van. Anyone install one of these? I notice that there is a 1/4-1/2" curvature which needs to be matched. CRL has been unhelpful on answering my questions about this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just installed my quarter slider in about the same spot as yours but only driver side. I can notice a little bit of distortion at the bottom left if I look hard, but I figured it was because of my shoddy hole cutting:|

I personally don't detect any of the distortion in your pictures. Also - really digging your wheels.
Yeah, there's a slight amount there, similar to on your van.

Thanks, really happy with the wheel choice

·
Registered
24 Posts
SLC Installer

I have a Motion Windows slider installed behind the drivers, I had it installed using a custom/restoration shop here in Salt Lake.
It cost me more for the install than it did for the window. However it has no distortion and I'm quite pleased with the result.

I don't have a picture, I'll go out and get one in the daylight tomorrow. Stay tuned..
TReynolds: New to the forum. Just picked up my 2018 Transit. Who is your installer in SLC? Can you PM me his info and price?
Mark

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally Posted by TReynolds View Post

TReynolds: New to the forum. Just picked up my 2018 Transit. Who is your installer in SLC? Can you PM me his info and price?
Mark

I would also like to know the Installer in SLC, just reply and post for anyone in SLC to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They do match the curve of the van but they do it with one bend. Motion will make the windows any width you like but the height is limited to the examples they offer on their website that more or less match the van's curved wall.
I know this is an old post but is the middle window a Motion? It’s a mid size and they don’t offer on like it now. It’s what I want for the L side above the counter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this is an old post but is the middle window a Motion? It’s a mid size and they don’t offer on like it now. It’s what I want for the L side above the counter.

I believe they will make a smaller custom size if you want. Or you could ask them about installing the smaller T's the low roof vans.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Did you get to talk to them? What did they say about these distortion? I just got my windows and wondering if need to return them if the distortion is bad enough.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts