Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- or can we get this one back on track?
This thread is supposed to be about the (hopefully) coming Transit EV, that is to say, the Transit ELECTRIC VEHICLE.
You know, the one that will be powered by an electric motor?
Most of the posts here have nothing to do with that. I mean, floor mats, ceiling fans, why did my battery die, etc., etc.
- gimme a break!
I follow this thread because I don’t know enough about the various types of EV’s, and I would like information about how Ford is approaching the subject so I might be better prepared to make an intelligent decision when it is finally available. (Hoping for plug-in hybrid version personally)
All this other stuff that has nothing to do with EV’s makes it a rather useless thread.
There are other threads for you to post your questions about the electrical system in your non EV Transit.
Rant over, blood pressure back to normal .... 😁

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you already did :)
LOL! That really was not my intention, but I guess I did.
I was just trying to add my post to the existing, cluttered Transit EV thread, but somehow instead started a new one!
on a more serious note, it does appear that the current electric vehicle revolution does not yet meet the needs of most of us in the RV cruising community, due to range and weight limitations. (If you add enough batteries for sufficient range, payload capacity is severely reduced. )
But, the time IS coming! Battery technology is making great strides in recent years, and it is hard to even imagine what they will come up with next. Rest assured, it will happen, but maybe not soon enough for me?
Guess I will stop hoping for a viable Transit EV in 2021, and just purchase a 2021 AWD, start building, and get on with the dream!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I saw an article disclosing the MPG of the F150 Hybrid (for Canada, but likely the same in Merikuh, unless Canada gallons are different).
24 city, 24 highway
Uses a 3.5l ecoboost and has more power than a regular ecoboost (torque AND HP). Lower load and towing capacity by 500 or so pounds because of the added weight of hybrid equipment.
This isn't earth-shattering good mpg improvement, but it's decent. Standard 3.5l ecoboost is 18/25.

Why do we care?
Because the hypothetical Hybrid Transit would see about the same ratio of spec differences.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
There is nothing happening here, What was wrong with the old thread?
At least the old thread had some info, Unlike this one.

·
Registered
667 Posts
There is nothing happening here, What was wrong with the old thread?
At least the old thread had some info, Unlike this one.
This one is only about the question of whether there should be a thread. It’s like the meeting about having a meeting.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
knowing that Canada uses commie gallons, the F150 mpg hybrid/standard get the same mpg. I guess the big advantage is the portable power plant. This system in a Transit is a good base for commercial campervan conversion and driveway DIY RVs.

Reactions: sportcoupe

·
Registered
284 Posts
I saw an article disclosing the MPG of the F150 Hybrid (for Canada, but likely the same in Merikuh, unless Canada gallons are different).
24 city, 24 highway
Uses a 3.5l ecoboost and has more power than a regular ecoboost (torque AND HP). Lower load and towing capacity by 500 or so pounds because of the added weight of hybrid equipment.
This isn't earth-shattering good mpg improvement, but it's decent. Standard 3.5l ecoboost is 18/25.

Why do we care?
Because the hypothetical Hybrid Transit would see about the same ratio of spec differences.
Is the F-150 hybrid a plug-in hybrid?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Is the F-150 hybrid a plug-in hybrid?
I didn't see that mentioned in the article. It's a small bit of equipment to add an onboard charging regulator, so I don't see why not. However, I think the f150 system has a very limited EV-only range, like 20-30 miles if an article from Jalopnik was correct. It's mainly an assist for short city driving trips. Thus the zero improvement on highway mpg over the standard ecoboost.

I've said it before, but for a functional economical hybrid Ford should be using one of their smaller ecoboost engines, like the 2.0 or 2.3l (both of which have about the same HP and more torque than the old Transit 3.7 Cyclone engine) and an electric drivetrain with larger battery. The gas engine running a charging system for the electric battery drivetrain; NOT directly powering the driveshaft. The F150 hybrid features a paltry 1.5kwh battery. For comparison, Teslas have 60-100kwh batteries. The combined power and torque of the 2.0 or 2.3 charging/powering the electric motor would easily surpass the V6 ecoboost. Obviously some reduced hauling and towing capacity for the frame based on the additional battery weight.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Canada uses "imperial gallons", USA uses "dry gallons".

View attachment 141272
The slave owners who stole the country with the help of the stupid French King needed another way to stiff the populace, so they invented the slave gallons we use today.
So you have proper empire gallons or teeny slave gallons, depending on your jurisdiction.
It is always about economics.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts