Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is embarrassing. Came in from working on the van last week to relieve myself, leaned over to flush the toilet and my keys fell out of a hole in my sweatshirt pocket and down the stool they went???! Still can't believe that happened.....so ordered a new key/fob and was successful in programming the four buttons on the fob but apparently not the transponder for the key, as it will not start the van. From my research, it looks like I need two already programmed keys to program a new third key. Looks like I need to go to a locksmith or dealer now to get it programmed.....unless someone out there knows of a DIY way to do it. Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
With the PATS keys it is possible to program an extra key if you have at least 2 keys if the bcm security is set to allow this function, its usually not this way from the factory.

If you only have one working key you will a computer and IDS (dealership software) or FORScan (free software, just an OBDII link needed)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
83 Posts
It should work but I’ve had problems with an adapter like that before, I’d suggest an obdlink Mx I think it would be more dependable and foolproof but the cheaper option should work too.
You will also need to get the forscan license, a 3 month license is free, you will just need to request a new key every 3 months

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks dinocarsfast and asdrew! I'll give it a shot. Heck, even if it doesn't work for key programming, I'll still have a another diagnostic tool to add to my toolbox! I will have to admit though, after viewing one of the first steps in the tutorial found here https://ohptools.com/blogs/news/how-to-program-your-transponder-keys-using-forscan which states "You will need to erase all known keys previously programmed by PATS in your vehicle, as the user won’t be able to delete a single key programmed" I had visions of screwing it up and having NO functional keys! Just to give me some assurance, does the process of erasing my currently programmed key sound correct to you? Thanks again!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Once the memory is cleared the vehicle is automatically in learning mode and searching for 2 keys. There is almost no way to screw it up unless you have a cheap Amazon or eBay key that has the wrong chip in it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hallelujah, it worked!!! The process essentially consists of two parts: 1. Programming the buttons (lock, unlock, etc.) on the fob and 2. Programming the key. I had 1 functioning key and I purchased an extra key and had it cut here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-15-17-FORD-TRANSIT-CONNECT-80-BIT-KEYLESS-REMOTE-HEAD-FOB-164-R8126-5925981/112311146768?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

and here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-HIGH-SECURITY-KEYLESS-REMOTE-HEAD-CUTTING-SERVICE-FOR-164-R8046-164-R8007/122627257549?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I used this video to program the fob buttons:

I then purchased this OBDII reader:
Amazon.com: Veepeak FORScan USB OBD2 Adapter with HS-CAN MS-CAN Switch, Full-System Diagnostic Code Scanner Programmer Service Tool for Ford Mazda on Windows: Automotive

I downloaded the free FORScan software and the extended license here: Download FORScan

and the rest is history! The OBDII reader worked without a hitch. Thanks to all who helped out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts