Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T-350 LWB HR EB on order...
312 Posts
Can the rail be mounted to the underside of the bracket's top plate?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any estimate on when the 6th tower, for the back of the LWB Ext, will be available?

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T350 EL High roof AWD Ecoboost
217 Posts
Nice. Any idea what the clearance from the roof shark antenna that some Transits have end up being when mounting the rails on top of the towers?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Our new rail brackets have finally arrived.
Always great to see what you all are up to, Hein. Those brackets look strong and custom shaped which is appealing.

I've yet to deep dive into the roof rails I'll need for my planned solar array, but having not looked into this yet, my first layman's question is: why so high above the roof? I would think sitting lower would create less air drag and keep the van's already problematic height (tree limbs, drive thrus) from being any worse. But I'm sure you have a reason for it.

I'm hoping to extend my rails and solar array off the back about 6", so having support as close to the end of the van as possible is important. Any thoughts on whether that last support could hold weight that extended off the back a bit?

If you used 2 sections to accommodate shipping total length ~10.5 ft rails, would the junction prevent a solar panel from resting totally flat on the 8020?

Cheers.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The roof is quite curved. At the edges of the van, the brackets need to be several inches tall so that a straight piece clears the peak in the center.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you look on his website, he states that a bar straight across the brackets will clear the roof by 3/8".
Do all roofs have the same curvature regardless of low, medium or high roofs? Maybe it is just perception but the low roofs look "flatter" in the transverse direction.

·
Premium Member
2021 R2X high roof long carbonized gray - TURBOCHARGED!
482 Posts
I wouldn't see why they'd differ, but I don't know.

I've never seen hardware that ONLY works for one roof height and not another; I've never seen the height as a spec for things that go on top.

If you look at photos of the three vans side by side, it seems like they just added layers to each van but the top part looks the same on all three. And from a manufacturing standpoint, that makes the most sense.

Length is a different story.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Those are the same shape but much nicer than the ones i made out of thick wall 3x3 stainless tubing with a saw, grinder, and sledge hammer to make the angle! Coulda saved myself the time and effort!

·
Registered
301 Posts
So I have a question. I have a high roof extended. I have 600W of solar planned, which takes up the entire roof from the front bracket location, to the rearmost bracket location with the factory holes.

How necessary is it to use all 5 roof rack brackets on each side for just solar panels? Can I get away with 4 per side for just solar panels (this would provide even spacing, skipping the second from the rear)?

I'd think the only concern I'd have would be in a major crash having the solar panels come off the roof, but I wouldn't think the tower-to-roof connection would be the weak point even with 4 towers per side.

Is there something in the BEMM about how much weight can be mounted using the factory mount locations? (i.e. 50 lbs per location)?

·
Registered
2017, cargo, 130inch, mr, dbl sliders, 3.2 dsl, 3.31 rear end, used 13.5k mi.
105 Posts
Latest iteration of
roof rail brackets
looks great and no doubt is designed well as Hein is fastidious in my estimation. Only one question, what it the nation state of fabrication? Hope USA, as the price seems to command some significant dinero. Please let the answer be at least a country that is friendly and not another totalitarian torture pit hole like China. Their central government has been behaving so much like nazi Germany. I am aware enough to chose other products when I can. Did you off-shore fabrication Hein?

·
Registered
2017, cargo, 130inch, mr, dbl sliders, 3.2 dsl, 3.31 rear end, used 13.5k mi.
105 Posts
Proudly and 100% Made in USA.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
FANTASTIC AND GOOD ON YOU HEIN!!!

Am replacing rooftop configured PV panels, small storage area and will order another of your wonderfully designed products for the upgrade. Thank you for always sharing your expertise and may your business continue to prosper for generations to come.

·
Registered
137 Posts

All the best,
Hein

This looks just great. How would you set this up to attach solar panels

All the best,
Hein

Looks like just the ticket! Husband wants to mount solar panels north/south. Is there a way to do that with this system without going higher with cross bars? Thx!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Cross bars go inbetween the side rails. solar panels either go on top of the cross rails, or the inbetween the cross rails (level) with tabs connecting the panels to the cores rails on the bottom of both

·
Registered
137 Posts
Cross bars go inbetween the side rails. solar panels either go on top of the cross rails, or the inbetween the cross rails (level) with tabs connecting the panels to the cores rails on the bottom of both
So there is a “T” connector that allows cross bars to be connected to the side rails?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've yet to deep dive into the roof rails I'll need for my planned solar array, but having not looked into this yet, my first layman's question is: why so high above the roof? I would think sitting lower would create less air drag and keep the van's already problematic height (tree limbs, drive thrus) from being any worse. But I'm sure you have a reason for it.
Perhaps to fit things underneath? For example, I'd like to maximize my solar PV on the van roof and putting the circulation fan under the solar panels is one method that might work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts