Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently building a partition. I was planning on having a sliding door. Anyone have resources for this? I've only found a handful of posts in various forums and a couple videos on it.

I've framed out the partition with 1x3's and was thinking of putting a barn door like slide. This will leave a little gap between the door and partition, which I don't really like.

I've also thought about incorporating it into the partition, like a pocket door, but wanted to keep it as thin as possible. So with the 2.5" thick partition, I would add .75" studs on both faces, left with 1" in between. Placing aluminum channels on the top and bottom, no hardware. Having never built a pocket door, I'm having my doubts whether this would hold up. Adding traditional hardware for pocket or sliding doors would increase weight and thickness a lot, but maybe that's the best route?

I also don't know how I would add a lock to such a thin door, most handle/lock combinations would need larger than an inch for their mechanisms.

Has anyone built a partition with a sliding door? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Has anyone built a partition with a sliding door? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just built a two part sliding door using 10 series 80/20 for the rails. Each door is just under an inch thick and having two doors allowed me to add a passenger swivel. Used the 80/20 sliding door guides which I built into the top of the door, and the economy sliding door guides on the bottom. The door is working great so far but have only had it up for a few weeks so no long term reports. Installed flush bolts to lock the doors from the inside but haven't drilled the holes yet to engage the locks so haven't used them yet but think it should work. Can try to get up some pics at some point.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just built a two part sliding door using 10 series 80/20 for the rails. Each door is just under an inch thick and having two doors allowed me to add a passenger swivel. Used the 80/20 sliding door guides which I built into the top of the door, and the economy sliding door guides on the bottom. The door is working great so far but have only had it up for a few weeks so no long term reports. Installed flush bolts to lock the doors from the inside but haven't drilled the holes yet to engage the locks so haven't used them yet but think it should work. Can try to get up some pics at some point.
I would love some pics. Sounds interesting, I'm building with wood and don't need the wide opening, but it would be great to see.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Have you considered why you want a sliding door?

A traditional swinging door, designed to open through an area you'd keep clear for walking anyway, and opening against a wall or cabinet is much easier to build. It's also easier to lock, and insulate - if those are concerns.

But I'll be watching this thread for nice sliding door ideas too. If a simple solution does exist, it is nice to get the door out of the way completely when open.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you considered why you want a sliding door?

A traditional swinging door, designed to open through an area you'd keep clear for walking anyway, and opening against a wall or cabinet is much easier to build. It's also easier to lock, and insulate - if those are concerns.

But I'll be watching this thread for nice sliding door ideas too. If a simple solution does exist, it is nice to get the door out of the way completely when open.

In my head it started as a simpler build and execution as well as being thin. I also like the idea of having the door way open without the swinging door. Routing out some channels with a sliding piece of ply is pretty simple, but after looking into finding a handle/lock combination, it has gotten a lot more complicated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here are some pics of my partition.

IMG_20200524_195249.jpg
IMG_20200524_195413.jpg

One 80/20 rail is screwed into a headliner shelf and the other rail is inset into the floor. I used 10 series extrusions so the width of the entire setup totals 2"

IMG_20200524_185002.jpg
This is the top 80/20 door glide from the cab. The top guide holds pretty much the entire weight if the doors. The bottom guide the economy door glide which allows a 1/4 of vertical wiggle room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts