Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks. Not much of a forum guy, but I’ve bed. Building Transit campers since 2017. I recently launched some DIY interior kits and roof racks. I’d love some feedback on our offerings.
Avcrig.com/store

·
Registered
2020 AWD HR 148 Crew
43 Posts
Howdy folks. Not much of a forum guy, but I’ve bed. Building Transit campers since 2017. I recently launched some DIY interior kits and roof racks. I’d love some feedback on our offerings.
Avcrig.com/store
I'd love to see someone offer thermomolded "pocket" panels for the rear sides of the van that allow you to take advantage of that extra width. I think it is a hard place to make a DIY solution that has good fit/finish. Adventure Wagon makes nice looking panels, but they don't sell them as a stand alone part.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd love to see someone offer thermomolded "pocket" panels for the rear sides of the van that allow you to take advantage of that extra width. I think it is a hard place to make a DIY solution that has good fit/finish. Adventure Wagon makes nice looking panels, but they don't sell them as a stand alone part.
Thermo molded plastics are a bit our of our equipment capabilities. We do offer an interior wall pocket kit. Working on new materials to offer them as a DIY. They will be like our window frames.

·
Registered
2021 AWD MR Crew 148
14 Posts
Thermo molded plastics are a bit our of our equipment capabilities. We do offer an interior wall pocket kit. Working on new materials to offer them as a DIY. They will be like our window frames.
Agree with what @Ccwaskier said. Having a kit to finish that area that maximizes width would be great for people like me that are not tall and want to sleep E-W. Flares are expensive once you add painting and install. If I could get 72" inside the walls it would be good enough.

I looked at your Rear Pill Shaped Window Frame. Good idea to use the foam. I want to implement a similar concept but a lot bigger. I am just starting my build so if you need a tester for your new DIY pocket kit let me know!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree with what @Ccwaskier said. Having a kit to finish that area that maximizes width would be great for people like me that are not tall and want to sleep E-W. Flares are expensive once you add painting and install. If I could get 72" inside the walls it would be good enough.

I looked at your Rear Pill Shaped Window Frame. Good idea to use the foam. I want to implement a similar concept but a lot bigger. I am just starting my build so if you need a tester for your new DIY pocket kit let me know!
We have done the frames in the past. If you check our insta feed we use the method in house. I’m currently sourcing different foam in 3” for each side. It’s just expensive to ship since it’s so large.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The roof rack is already a compelling option at a good price point.

I like that you're offering DIY kit options, including for the high and medium roofs, as I think there's an increasing market there. I'd love to see some options for the crew van. For us, we wanted a crew for kid/passenger safety and to maximize options in the rear for camping/weekending, and there aren't many options for the crew (that don't entail modifications).

• Flooring kit that lines up with the 2nd row seat floor and a swap in transition piece.
  • Wall kit that works around the factory headliner. "Must have" would be to accommodate the "pocket" panels in the rear though for E-W seating.
  • L-Track integration option with the wall kit.

I'd wager a number of the crew buyers will be prioritizing modularity (e.g move/remove bed), self-contained battery pack. As space is even more of a premium.

If you had a crew DIY kit, paired with a couple of instructional youtubes, I'd be very interested for my high roof crew!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I've actually done exactly that in house in the past. I'm sourcing a higher PSI foam in 3" so we can offer a single kit to add 6" overall width. I thin it'll be a winner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What color fabric is in this picture? It’s exactly what I’m looking for. Also, what do you have for the 130“ MR

This fabric is Fusion Charcoal. We actually have to special order it from our supplier now. They switched factories and the new factory only offers something close but much busier looking. We have some bulk quantities but I can't legally sell cut sections out of my shop (need to have a certified measuring table, silly I know). We do offer other varieties of BYRN on our site. That's the new supplier fabric.

View attachment 148900

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The roof rack is already a compelling option at a good price point.

I like that you're offering DIY kit options, including for the high and medium roofs, as I think there's an increasing market there. I'd love to see some options for the crew van. For us, we wanted a crew for kid/passenger safety and to maximize options in the rear for camping/weekending, and there aren't many options for the crew (that don't entail modifications).

• Flooring kit that lines up with the 2nd row seat floor and a swap in transition piece.
  • Wall kit that works around the factory headliner. "Must have" would be to accommodate the "pocket" panels in the rear though for E-W seating.
  • L-Track integration option with the wall kit.

I'd wager a number of the crew buyers will be prioritizing modularity (e.g move/remove bed), self-contained battery pack. As space is even more of a premium.

If you had a crew DIY kit, paired with a couple of instructional youtubes, I'd be very interested for my high roof crew!
We are working on exactly this. I have our floor patterned to fit 2 and 3 seat brackets. So if you swapped the factory 3 seater for a passenger van 2 seater you could pull out the 3rd rail and have a clean floor. We're working on adding it to the website asap.

The wall kit can be cut down to fit the crew van, but I haven't had one through the shop to create a panel kit to cap off the crew area. Once we do we will offer it as a full kit.

Last thing - I hired a couple of video guys to help beef up our youtube presence. I can only do so much, but it is all about the video!
Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,013 Posts

I have 73 1/2" bed length in a 148" WB not extended.

Glued 1 1/2" polyiso to the steel between the steel stiffeners. Glued 1" polyiso on top of the stiffeners. Filled all the gaps with Great Stuff gaps and cracks. Used a loose hack saw blade to trim the spray foam flush. Then glued indoor/outdoor carpet to the polyiso.

Walls | Orton Travel Transit (ortontransit.info)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts