Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I was going to put a nature's head in the van, but then got to reading further about some of the other options and saw the c-head, which was intriguing because of it's original price point and use of over the counter parts, use of standard bottles for urine collection but then realized it had gone up several hundred dollars putting it closer to the premium options. I then looked at DIY composting toilets and I'm currently exploring this area. I don't mind buying a premium product, but if I can get a similar experience for 1/3 or 1/2 the price then I'd rather use the saved money on other things.

Does anyone have any experience with building your own?

Has anyone figured out how you might do the mixing handle in a DIY that might work like the c-head?

It seems like the main component is the urine diverter and it's tough to tell which to go with. There are several on etsy and ebay. I'm looking for firsthand experience on which work and don't work.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Checkswrecks thanks, I've been watching the videos, I was looking for any firsthand experiences with diverters and a recommendation on which to buy. It seems like it's the most important part of the whole thing and instead of just picking one off of Etsy or Ebay I was wondering which one was recommended. I watched a video today about one made in a far away land out of ceramic, but that doesn't seem to be required since you pee in it.

·
Registered
2106 148MR Cargo
228 Posts
I plan to make my own for the sailboat, which is a weird installation since it sits on a step. Plan to use a common plastic funnel for the urine separator.

·
Registered
2021 Cargo 130" MR AWD Ecoboost
57 Posts
I thought I was going to put a nature's head in the van, but then got to reading further about some of the other options and saw the c-head, which was intriguing because of it's original price point and use of over the counter parts, use of standard bottles for urine collection but then realized it had gone up several hundred dollars putting it closer to the premium options. I then looked at DIY composting toilets and I'm currently exploring this area. I don't mind buying a premium product, but if I can get a similar experience for 1/3 or 1/2 the price then I'd rather use the saved money on other things.

Does anyone have any experience with building your own?

Has anyone figured out how you might do the mixing handle in a DIY that might work like the c-head?

It seems like the main component is the urine diverter and it's tough to tell which to go with. There are several on etsy and ebay. I'm looking for firsthand experience on which work and don't work.

Thanks all.
My own process ended with the C-Head (after ordering and canceling the Nature Head and then the Air Head). I haven’t used it yet, but it is incredibly easier to empty than the others and the vertical design of the coating actuator makes a lot of sense to me, kind like a cat box. I need to save myself as much building time as possible and recreating this would be time-consuming, especially if the geometry does not work and you have to start over.

·
Registered
2021 Cargo 130" MR AWD Ecoboost
57 Posts
I'm currently using a porta potty but plan to "upgrade" to composting toilet eventually with the Kildwick kit.
Very interesting. Thanks for the link. Looking at their finished units it looks like they don’t have an actuator for coating, and there might not be a seal for odors (difficult to ascertain), but otherwise very nice design similar to the C-Head. They have a square top piece that might be easier to use for DIY than the oval one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I didn't have enough space for a commercial one so bought this separator and coated it and my custom toilet seat in epoxy for ease of cleaning URINE DIVERTER for Dry Composting Toilet. Plastic Wee Separator (Separett Privy) | eBay

I was also looking at these kits Composting toilets self build kits and kit parts | Kildwick.com which look nice but they still took up too much space for my needs

No sure how important the mixer is but the thought of cleaning one seems unpleasant and I have not had any odors even after a few days after use before emptying. I have a 12v van constantly running continuously so I guess that and throwing in wood shavings saved from construction at each use do the trick just fine.

I also have a urinal/tube I can use without opening the toilet which drains into the same tank which at this point I would not want to live without! Once install an external grey tank will have everything just drain into that but for now this setup is working great for my needs.

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
684 Posts
I plan to use a home deport bucket and a single-use trash bag. The used bag will be hung out at the rear on the spare tire mount until we can find a proper place to dispose of it. I don't like to keep poops inside the vehicle. I don't care what the manufacture claims no smell.

something like this would be fine:

Nature’s Head and alike are so overpriced, it is not even funny. Just wait until Chinese manufacturers start making it.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I have been using a plastic bucket with plastic grocery bags for 30 years. Avoid peeing in the bag.
Roll the bag up and tie a knot with the grocery bag handholds, Throw in any outdoor trash receptacle because without the Pee there is almost no smell.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the input. I went back and forth on where to order and then found the diverter xl kit on etsy. It looks like it might include everything I need for a reasonable price. I'll post up how it goes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nature’s Head and alike are so overpriced, it is not even funny. Just wait until Chinese manufacturers start making it.
That they are, but I broke down and got an Air Head anyway. Fact is they work very well and despite your poop fears, don't smell. My wife and I can use it for about a month before I need to dump it. Simple, clean and I have no issue with a month worth of dried up odorless poop sitting in a container under my toilet seat.

I really struggled with that purchase more than anything else in my build. My wife has an extremely sensitive nose and odor concerned me, and it was a lot of money for what they seem to be. I've asked many times, and she swears that she has never noticed a smell from it.

So you can deal with your bag of poop every day hanging from your spare tire holder (its certainly cheaper), but for the 5 minute job once a month to pull mine out and dump in a garbage bag, reload with coconut coir and forget about it for another month, I'm actually very happy I spent the money I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts