Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody on this forum posted an awning system they put on their van using I think telescoping flagpole‘s coming off a roof rack. I knew I should’ve ear marked this post but I just kept on reading post after post as I do sometimes. It sounded like an idea I could use and have searched extensively for this post. But I can’t find it. Will the brains behind this idea come forward once more So I can read what you did. Again

·
Registered
627 Posts
Not quite the same, but I am planning on mounting my awning directly to my 8020 rail used for solar panels, with a 4 foot extension pole attached to the rail on the front when the awning is put up. Not sure if you have a roof rack or not. The idea is to take an inexpensive tarp like the Kelty, and have four or five hooks for the grommets on the 8020 rail and the 4 foot extension. The outboard side would use telescoping awning poles, although I am also considering pool cleaner poles for lighter weight. Should be much cheaper and less vulnerable to High winds then a Fiamma.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Not quite the same, but I am planning on mounting my awning directly to my 8020 rail used for solar panels, with a 4 foot extension pole attached to the rail on the front when the awning is put up. Not sure if you have a roof rack or not. The idea is to take an inexpensive tarp like the Kelty, and have four or five hooks for the grommets on the 8020 rail and the 4 foot extension. The outboard side would use telescoping awning poles, although I am also considering pool cleaner poles for lighter weight. Should be much cheaper and less vulnerable to High winds then a Fiamma.
Almost my exact setup...although I am using a piece of aluminum angle that I can slide into the 8020 towards the front as an extension to get over sliding door. Then attach a kelty Noah tarp to eye hooks on rack, then use two telescoping poles. Pretty simple and inexpensive!

To the OP..sorry I don't recall seeing any posts using a telescoping pole as you described.

·
Registered
627 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. That’s the post I saw. I tried the same exact words in my search and it srtill didn’t pull up the post. I wonder if it’s because I am using an iPhone instead of a lap top.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thank you. That’s the post I saw. I tried the same exact words in my search and it srtill didn’t pull up the post. I wonder if it’s because I am using an iPhone instead of a lap top.
I just confirmed, the same search on my iPhone fails as well. That’s good to know – that makes iPhone searching completely useless. The desktop version uses the google API to perform a Google search against the content, looks like that function does not work on iPhone.

·
Registered
848 Posts
That was me. I ended up returning the flagpoles to Horror Fright, didn’t have the time to fabricobble a secure attachment to my roof rack before we went on our big trip. If someone figures it out I would love to see it.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
My DIY ARB clone is fine, but takes almost 2 minutes to set up or stow! You could save precious seconds with the telescoping awning.

If I were to BUY an awning, I like the 270° batwing designs.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,982 Posts
If I were to BUY an awning, I like the 270° batwing designs.
I really like the batwing (foxwing, ostrich wing, etc ) 270 degree awnings but they aren't very long from front to back, so if you install it at the rear corner of the van where it can wrap around to the back, the sliding door on the side isn't even under the awning on my extended HR.

I've been trying to find actual measurements of these 270 degree awnings. I'm toying with the idea of mounting a left side and right side awning next to each other on the right side of my Transit, so that I have coverage over the back door, the entire side of the van, and then over the windshield.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I don't have a roof rack on my van. I plan to use 2 of Heins stainless eye bolts and a piece of conduit or the like run through them to provide a mounting surface. I already have a Kelty 12x12 tarp and two of their poles.

In 3 years camping out of my van I have had little need for a tarp but it would be nice to have.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I've seen pictures of batwing awnings on large vehicles, but haven't found who sells them (probably in AU).
I'm perfectly fine with my 8x10 tarp ARB clone awning. The actual ARB awnings are reasonably priced, though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Somebody on this forum posted an awning system they put on their van using I think telescoping flagpole‘s coming off a roof rack. I knew I should’ve ear marked this post but I just kept on reading post after post as I do sometimes. It sounded like an idea I could use and have searched extensively for this post. But I can’t find it. Will the brains behind this idea come forward once more So I can read what you did. Again
Check out this one. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts