Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting a pulsing in my brake pedal so I naturally thought I had a warped rotor. As I started disassembling I realized it wasn’t warped it was bulging in one section were it was coming apart. As soon as I pulled off the hub /rotor assembly and set it on the ground the rotor completely split in half. If you look closely at the pic you can see small sections that look silver, those spots were the only thing holding the rotor together. The passenger side was the same way. I was shocked, I’ve never seen anything like this before.
Automotive tire Font Circle Auto part Rim

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
You must be in the rust belt. My '98 Subaru Forester did the same thing. What was amazing is that both of my Subaru's front rotors fell apart at exactly the same time locking up both front wheels as I was driving it backwards off my 4-post lift.

You're lucky you found it before the rotor halves completely fell apart and locked up your wheel on the freeway.

I've seen rotors like yours on the "Just Rolled In the Shop" subreddit. This one isn't what happened with yours but also bad: https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/po1so6

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
782 Posts
Hoooleee keerap! Glad that didn't let go on the highway!

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Rear?
Transit (and Sprinter and probably others) brake systems are designed to have both the pads and rotors replaced at the same time. If you just replaced the pads, the rotors caught up!
The Transit brake system puts more force on the rear so the van doesn't nose-dive when you put on the brakes, which is why you need to replace the rear pads/rotors about twice as much as the front.

Also, thanks for the reminder to stick my head underneath and take a look at the condition of pads/rotors on both front and back!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I was getting a pulsing in my brake pedal so I naturally thought I had a warped rotor. As I started disassembling I realized it wasn’t warped it was bulging in one section were it was coming apart. As soon as I pulled off the hub /rotor assembly and set it on the ground the rotor completely split in half. If you look closely at the pic you can see small sections that look silver, those spots were the only thing holding the rotor together. The passenger side was the same way. I was shocked, I’ve never seen anything like this before. View attachment 160992
Wow!, I have never seen that level of internal corrosion before. Kind of looks like what you could get if the rotors were subjected to repeating cycles of heat then water spray.

·
Registered
2019 HR Cargo Oxford White 148 wb 3.7L
523 Posts
Maybe they were made here.

How To Make Car Rear Disc Brake In Factory- Disc Brake Making Process.

·
Registered
2020 148wb AWD
108 Posts
I was getting a pulsing in my brake pedal so I naturally thought I had a warped rotor. As I started disassembling I realized it wasn’t warped it was bulging in one section were it was coming apart. As soon as I pulled off the hub /rotor assembly and set it on the ground the rotor completely split in half. If you look closely at the pic you can see small sections that look silver, those spots were the only thing holding the rotor together. The passenger side was the same way. I was shocked, I’ve never seen anything like this before. View attachment 160992
Are these factory OEM rotors or cheap aftermarket? i have seen some aftermarket rotors go bad (not this bad) in a fairly short time.
This is another good reason to have winter tires and swap the wheels. you get a good chance to inspect twice a year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts