Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
E450 Wagon
190 Posts
Apparently pretty common, especially with the EcoBoost. The diff flexes under high torque-loads.

Best workaround is re-sealing the cover with RTV, and also adding the Van Compass diff plate which acts as a stiffener. But either one probably is better than stock.

That said... That's actually a minuscule amount of oil. You aren't losing a measurable amount.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Looks rusty, I don't envy the salt!
Diff oil, it's probably a slow leak, but there's no reason to wait on it.
Probably $50 for the oil and friction mod and gasket (this is probably a weeping gasket). Maybe 1 hour of shop labor if none of the bolts snap off... I hate rust!
Sure, you can go for an LSD, look at the aftermarket first though, plenty of nicer options than the friction clutches Ford uses.

·
Registered
2016 HR EXT Gas Cargo single battery; Renogy 2x170ah, Renogy Flex Panels 2x175watt, DCC50S
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks rusty, I don't envy the salt!
Diff oil, it's probably a slow leak, but there's no reason to wait on it.
Probably $50 for the oil and friction mod and gasket (this is probably a weeping gasket). Maybe 1 hour of shop labor if none of the bolts snap off... I hate rust!
Sure, you can go for an LSD, look at the aftermarket first though, plenty of nicer options than the friction clutches Ford uses.
Thanks, any suggestions?

Yeah, the north east is tough... I'm going to see if I can find a way to get rid of it and add some sort of protective coating.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Good excuse to do some PM. Get the diff fluid and gasket changed.

Where in the Northeast are you? I am in NJ and have 17 and 14 year old Hondas with nothing even close the that level of rust. I fear that my brand new Transit will not resist the salt as well. On a positive note, the unibody looks like it is holding up well.

·
Registered
2016 HR EXT Gas Cargo single battery; Renogy 2x170ah, Renogy Flex Panels 2x175watt, DCC50S
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Where in the Northeast are you? I am in NJ and have 17 and 14 year old Hondas with nothing even close the that level of rust. I fear that my brand new Transit will not resist the salt as well. On a positive note, the unibody looks like it is holding up well.
I'm in nyc Queens. I've never had a car that's had this much rust... Which is odd since I would've thought the transit would have less since it's higher off the ground.

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
That is just seeping, not leaking much at all.

My F150 has been doing that for over 200k miles. As long as it is not dripping, or spreading beyond the pumpkin/cover, I don’t worry about it. I change it every 50k miles. Haven’t had any issues.

·
Banned
49 Posts
What's your gearing? if it's not suitable I'd regear and add in a locker. this way you get to change the gear fluid, add new gears & locker replace the seal. $3,000 - $5,000 or just change the fluid and replace the seal. $300.00 - $500.00 if you can do the repair yourself, you'll save some green.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is just seeping, not leaking much at all.

My F150 has been doing that for over 200k miles. As long as it is not dripping, or spreading beyond the pumpkin/cover, I don’t worry about it. I change it every 50k miles. Haven’t had any issues.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T-350 LWB HR EB on order...
305 Posts
Potential upfitting (to a LSD?)?
We have a 2021 Transit on the way to QuadVan for a 4x4 conversion. QuadVan will be removing the factory 3.73 limited slip rear differential, which will have basically zero miles on it. I intend to sell the LSD. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Ford LSD requires a different housing from the one used with an open differential... which makes an even better case for upgrading open differential to Eaton Truetrac.

·
Registered
2018 Transit 250 SRW HR EXL 3.7L 4.10R Dual AGM
92 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Ford LSD requires a different housing from the one used with an open differential... which makes an even better case for upgrading open differential to Eaton Truetrac.
No it doesn't, I purchased my van with an open differential, all I had to do was change over the carrier assembly and transfer my ring over to the new carrier and make measurements and adjustments and what not. The case is the same.

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
684 Posts
It is not a dripping leak, I would not worry about it. But if you have free time and if it bothers you, by all means, :) fix it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts