Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Past February I saw Diesel at $1/gallon above Regular Unleaded.
Throughout the Spring its been par with gas. Yesterday I saw it at Speedway for ten cents cheaper than gasoline!
If this continues I may have to re-crunch the numbers, especially if the 5 cylinder turns out to be as reliable and inexpensive to maintain as the old European Diesels. Doubt it though, unless they've really perfected the emissions gear.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Gas engine can be idled. Definite advantage when van is converted to a small motorhome. With a 1000 watt pure sine inverter powered by Transit 12 volt system, I can electrically heat shower water or charge the house battery at 50 amps or electrically heat the air while engine is running.

Any can be done with the quiet gas engine idling. Idling is not recommended with a diesel.

I let the van get cold at night because I stay warm with a 12 v heating pad under the sleeping bag. Refrigerator runs very little when van is cold inside. Do need to warm van in morning. Can not wait to use my remote start while still in bed to heat interior before I get up.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good points. Still have to take into account the range as well as service intervals though.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Even though I'm looking at having an onboard Onan as well as a small 800-1000 watt portable generator, the fact that I can start a gas engine and have it idle indefinitely (no worries about oil dilution or wet stacking) is what makes the EB engine very attractive. Since the turbos are not cutting in at idle speed, it makes the engine pretty thrifty on fuel.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Its hard to predict diesel price fluctuations as its so linked with home heating oil... Our brutal winter really battered the prices... Not to mention we're seeing a TON more diesel consumption in the form of rail hauling crude to and fro (although I'm not sure there's MORE rail traffic) plus the spike in fracking wells which gobble up a ton of diesel (machinery) Now I don't know how to quantify the effect on diesel flux (if there is or isn't??) but its interesting the factors that affect.

Plus then theres the psychological aspect. Is petrol held steadier price wise because more people see petrol prices and if it was aloud to wander like diesel they would scream for communism? Just rambling :D;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts