Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My t350 exlong hi roof drw 9950 gvrw diesel actual weight 9500 is at 17,3 with 420 miles
My 2010 Sprinter 2500 loaded over GVW weight gets that mileage wit ha V6. I hope you see better results in the long term.

BTW, do you have ladder racks or any other exterior accessories?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Code:
My t350 exlong hi roof drw 9950 gvrw diesel actual weight 9500 is at 17,3 with 420 miles
Thanks for posting one of first fuel-economy updates on Transit and particularly the diesel. For such a large van that is loaded down it seems good to me, especially for a brand new van. And depending on how much city or high-speed driving that 17.3 MPG included I would consider it excellent.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can anyone speculate how the heat will be in the diesel? Last year I experienced -20F in Maryland! My 2005 Sprinter with auxiliary heater kept me warm. Does the Transit have it or does it need it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been driving 97 then 08 e350 cube vans for the last 16 years at 8.5 mpg. Mostly what I drive is rural to get from Joes house to Freds to sallys etc. Go 4 south 1 west 1/2 east down the long lane. Not city but not hiway. This time of year with tall corn you have to stop every mile or crash. Longest full speed run (63mph) might be 10 miles. So 17.3 is huge.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I've been driving 97 then 08 e350 cube vans for the last 16 years at 8.5 mpg. Mostly what I drive is rural to get from Joes house to Freds to sallys etc. Go 4 south 1 west 1/2 east down the long lane. Not city but not hiway. This time of year with tall corn you have to stop every mile or crash. Longest full speed run (63mph) might be 10 miles. So 17.3 is huge.
Then that is pretty good for a new van.

·
Registered
27 Posts
fixit!,
Congratulations on your new van! Glad to hear you are enjoying it! These Transits are really changing how people think about gas mileage, and glad to hear your results are right on board with what we are expecting!-Aaron

·
Registered
539 Posts
My04 Sprinter gained 2 MPG when I hit 100,000 miles:eek:, now over 500,000 still have the same
Better rack on those miles guys!
It's just crazy how much further down the mileage range that MPG can still go up, didn't see that coming.

·
Registered
396 Posts
another point which no one brought up is gearing, took a ecoboost with th 3.31 gearing, which is also offered in the diesel. Anyway compared to my 5 cylinder sprinter. @ 70 mph the Transit has a 500 rpm Advantage, which is only turning 2,000 RPM, guessing that should put the Diesel around 25 MPG, I get 22

·
Registered
10 Posts
My mpg have gone to 18mpg. I might be crazy but at 63 mph the rpms have dropped from
2150 ish to right at 2000. I just passed the 1000 mile mark. By the way I am this thing is
a pleasure to drive,way better than the 08 E350 cube it replaced.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Real MPG

I do not have a lot of miles on my new Transit. It is a 2015 Diesel with the ext lwb and high roof. I traded in a 2001 18 foot steel box e 450 with a 7.3 power stroke that I got from a dealer in Ohio. The Box was built in Canada, no one around here would go larger than a 15 foot box then. The E450 got 10mpg loaded/empty/up hill and down/70 to 80 on highway, normal in town and on country roads.

My new van got 23mpg on highway from dealer home, dropped to 20 mpg from interstate to my home around 5 miles. I just made a 30 mile trip and it went down to 19 and the 20 mpg by the time I got home. Not many miles yet. We bought this to travel and antiquing, flea markets etc. I want to make it comfortable and add a few things--but over all I am pleased now. If I can stay over 17 or 18mpg, it will be great.
:)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I do not have a lot of miles on my new Transit. It is a 2015 Diesel with the ext lwb and high roof. I traded in a 2001 18 foot steel box e 450 with a 7.3 power stroke that I got from a dealer in Ohio. The Box was built in Canada, no one around here would go larger than a 15 foot box then. The E450 got 10mpg loaded/empty/up hill and down/70 to 80 on highway, normal in town and on country roads.

My new van got 23mpg on highway from dealer home, dropped to 20 mpg from interstate to my home around 5 miles. I just made a 30 mile trip and it went down to 19 and the 20 mpg by the time I got home. Not many miles yet. We bought this to travel and antiquing, flea markets etc. I want to make it comfortable and add a few things--but over all I am pleased now. If I can stay over 17 or 18mpg, it will be great.
:)

What your Diif. gearing, or whats your rpm @ 70

·
Registered
19 Posts
One of the guys on the expediting forums claims to be achieving 24.6 mpg over the last 9,000 miles. His build is a medium roof, T250, 148" WB, 3.31 axle and 3.2 L engine. These guys normally drive 100,000 miles/year and are all about fuel economy. I would never even come close to their mileage figures. Promasters are struggling to get 20 - 21 mpg in expediting service, from what I can see, except when they are on a tow truck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
One of the guys on the expediting forums claims to be achieving 24.6 mpg over the last 9,000 miles. His build is a medium roof, T250, 148" WB, 3.31 axle and 3.2 L engine. These guys normally drive 100,000 miles/year and are all about fuel economy. I would never even come close to their mileage figures. Promasters are struggling to get 20 - 21 mpg in expediting service, from what I can see, except when they are on a tow truck.
24.6 over 9,000 with the 3.2 diesel is outstanding. I would be be happy with that.

20-21 with the gas Promasters is also very good. I doubt either Ford Transit gas engine will come within 5 MPG of these results.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Starting to look like that 3.2L is going to be a winner, and even better then the stressed out twin turbo Sprinter I4?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Yet the Sprinter I4 has a higher GCWR than the larger Ford I5. So is GCWR limited by engine or vehicle?

While engine displacement is important to durability, there are other variables too that affect how long an engine will last. Semi trucks weighing up to 80,000 pounds are often powered by engines in the 15-liter size range, and they last 100s of thousand of miles. In a van under 10000 pounds I personally wouldn't fear a 2+ liter inline 4.

Sprinters are a little pricey for my taste, but if I was buying one today I'd choose the I4 over the V6. The smaller I4 engine should return better MPGs at slower speeds.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Yeah, but that new Sprinter I4 is getting about 24 MPG as well, so not much of a debate between the 4 and 5 cylinder, so I would rather have the extra cubes and more get up and go then the little 2.1L I4, my Jeep CRD even has a 2.8L 4 cylinder and a much lighter vehicle as well.

21 - 40 of 125 Posts