Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy:
Seeking real world impressions of the 3.2 from people who have actually put some miles on them. What do you like? What don't you like? Enough power? Is it worth the extra coin? And most importantly, would you drive one in Mexico? That last question is more about the availability of ULSD than the van itself, but I'd like to know if anyone has taken a diesel south of the border and found the right fuel. Thanks!

·
Registered
386 Posts
We have about 36k on ours. Drives great and I like the power. We have the extended tall Transit and it a fairly full conversion and weighs over 8000lbs. Test drove the 3.5 Eco and we have no regrets.... yet ;) Long term is yet to be seen.

We bought it mostly for single fuel to cover the engine and some of the potential interior heating options that run off of diesel. There are more and more of these that run off of gasoline though.

We did not get it with the thought that it would cost less to operate in the long run. But I like seeing consistent 20mpg.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Put almost 50,000 miles on my 2015 HR EL diesel. Loved it!
But- it was totalled and in shopping for another I could not find a diesel equipped anywhere near like what I wanted, not even in nationwide searches.

So picked up a 2018 Ecoboost- takes a lot of restraint to not get upset at seeing 14-15 on the MPG gauge rather than 20.
Did the math and the diesel would take 200,000 miles to break even as just a van and about 100,000 towing.

I'm struggling with putting an Espar or Webasto in the new van- the gas heaters are WAY more money than the diesel heaters. The gasoline ones seem pretty rare and Webasto in the US will not honor the warranty on their most common one....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Howdy back!

I have a 2015 T350HD, 15 pax, EL, HR, XL model with the 3.2L diesel and over 117K miles. Still getting 20MPG+/-, lots of power and I wouldn't consider anything else in this wagon. It handles well in the city and on the highway, lots of passing power, steady even in high cross winds (you do feel it getting pushed around) and it's quiet too. Here are some of my actual numbers for your consideration:

At the 111,777 miles mark, 441 hours at idle (13.50%), 2,825 hrs running (86.50%) for a total of 3,266 engine hours and an indicated 19.11 avg MPG.

At 105,870 miles, used 5,471.4 gals diesel at a cost of $12,819.54 = $2.343 avg $/gal, 19.35 MPG, 8.26 miles/dollar or about $12.11 per 100 miles traveled for fuel only. Loaded costs include: $12,819.54 fuel, $1,734.61 Oil & DEF, $5,858.90 for repairs = $744.10/month or $19.28/100 miles.

I've never been South of the border in a vehicle so I have no advice on that, other than to check with your insurance company before you go, not everyone covers you in Mexico.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
One problem that has come up with the diesel engine is idling the engine for too long a period of time. Especially in the colder climates, it tends to clog up the exhaust system and causes warning lights to come on in the instrument cluster. To clear out the exhaust system, you have to drive the Transit for nearly 20 minutes at 3000 RPMs to power out the clogged system.

This just happened on a early built 2015 model (November 2014) HR Extended DRW Transit that was fully converted to a RV with solar panels, satellite, compact toilet, and shower. He was in OH for a few days when the temperature was in the 20's and idled the engine for a long period and after this the warning lamps came on but NO change in the operating performance. Took the Transit to the Ford dealer and having the Ford Extended Warranty they cleared out the lamps by doing the above service procedure.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I had a really puzzling warning out west last June- motoring along at 65MPH as I had been for hours- when suddenly a warning message pops up- "DPF Clogged- Drive to Clean".
Huh? I was driving!
Pulled over and restarted the motor and message gone- it was really odd because it had been doing its clean cycle every 150 miles or so since new. I can see when they start on my Torque app when exhaust temps skyrocket. Its easy to miss the message on the info display because it only stays up for maybe 20 seconds. The clean cycle usually lasted about 20 minutes.
Its possible it didn't do one for awhile, maybe I missed it.
Sure gave me a scare - being 2000 miles from home with a loaded for camping van and my 10yr old grandson.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Repairs I've had done in 117K miles

TXAggie what repairs did it need?
Replaced EGT Sensor
Replaced front windshield
Driveshaft rubber coupling replacement (before recall)
6 tires, mount & balance
Removal of 21 gals of E85 & fuel tank & lines flush (my mistake putting wrong fuel in tank)
DEF tank heater repair (not covered by warranty)
Brakes front & rear

Most of above expenses, plus scheduled maintenance costs were covered by the extended warranty I purchased, but I tried to track what the dealer would have charged me. I get the oil changed every 10K miles and get the service at the same time.

Except for the bone head move of putting E85 into the fuel tank, I'd say the 3.2L diesel engine has been pretty much problem free.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Curious how the E85 thing happened- supposedly the Ford EasyFill (which I hate) has a mechanism that will not let the wrong size nozzle open the tank flapper. IOW too big it won't open. Too small it won't open either.
The diesel nozzles are a different size than the gasoline nozzles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent info, thanks all. I'm really kind of in love wth the EB engine but I have had a hard time finding one in the van config I want (HR not extended, must have cruise control, I still can't believe any vehicle in this day and age doesn't). I've come across a few well equipped diesels but I kind of dismissed the idea because I will be driving this van south of the border and reports about the availability of ULSD are mixed. It would be a serious problem to get down there and find out you can't get the fuel you need to get back!

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Replaced EGT Sensor
Replaced front windshield
Driveshaft rubber coupling replacement (before recall)
6 tires, mount & balance
Removal of 21 gals of E85 & fuel tank & lines flush (my mistake putting wrong fuel in tank)
DEF tank heater repair (not covered by warranty)
Brakes front & rear

Most of above expenses, plus scheduled maintenance costs were covered by the extended warranty I purchased, but I tried to track what the dealer would have charged me. I get the oil changed every 10K miles and get the service at the same time.

Except for the bone head move of putting E85 into the fuel tank, I'd say the 3.2L diesel engine has been pretty much problem free.
Thanks for the list!
Also, some of that I would consider "maintenance" and not "repair"; tires and brakes. And the other repairs were not due to things wearing out, but accidents; windshield, fuel flush. And the guibo replacement WOULD have been under warranty/recall. So, overall, a pretty reliable system.

·
Super Moderator
1,662 Posts
The diesel nozzles are a different size than the gasoline nozzles.
In theory, yes. But take some local independently owned gas station with a faulty nozzle and he'll take whatever he has to fix it instead of spending money to order the right one.

Around here, almost every gas station uses a green handle to indicate diesel . One chain doesn't. They use green for regular unleaded. More than one person has put regular unleaded in their diesel Jetta or Passat at that station.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Well IF a station puts the wrong size nozzle on in a pinch they won't be selling any fuel to late model Fords.;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a 2015 250 148" High roof extended 3.73 LSD with 79000kms on it. I'm a carpenter and do about 50/50 city/highway. My van weighs 7500-8000 most of the time. I'd call the power adequate, but I was honestly expecting it to be better. I will say that I have a heavy foot. In southern Ontario, people drive like complete muppets, (distracted, no lane discipline, simply not knowing the basic rules of the road, etc) and I'm a firm believer that it's safest to leave said muppets in the dust, so I go WOT regularly. My life time average fuel consumption is 13.8 l/100 kms or 17.044 MPG. It's a bout 3 MPG less than my old Sprinter with the 2.7CDI. That van actually felt sportier. So for a larger engine more powerful engine, hauling a bigger heavier van, with a goon behind the wheel, I'm pretty satisfied with that number. I would like a larger fuel tank. 120 litres would be perfect.

I really dislike the transmission performance of MY van, but I have a lemon of a tranny in mine. Others report that it's great.

Reliability is average at best. I blame this on modern emissions equipment for the diesel. My van has stranded me once, with an EGR cooler failure. And has had two instances of reduced power mode (very dangerous at highway speeds) that resulted in the van barely making it to the dealership. It is currently at the dealer having TSB 17-0014 done. Which is not covered by my powertrain warranty and consists of cleaning a bunch of wiring connection related to boost control, and EGT sensors, and then adding a gasket and some silicone to the horrible wiper trough design that allows water to infiltrate the engine compartment. 388 bucks.

I'll end on an up note. I am a car enthusiast. Driving is a passion of mine. The van is wonderful to drive, despite my transmission woes. It's quiet, comfortable, has a decent enough stereo and handles very well. The visibility is great, and the turning radius is plenty. I love the hydraulic steering and simple HVAC controls. I love the looks of it. Mine is green gem metallic. I get compliments on it from customers and strangers alike. It's a spectacular colour in direct sunlight. I have numerous pictures of it in parking lots that i snap as i approach it. I suspect this is what young people do when they see their reflections. "Hey, I look great!" SNAP. POST.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts