Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Once you apply silicone to a surface...nothing will ever stick again, impossible, short of grinding to remove the residue. 3M 4000 black would work inside the trim and so will the butyl. Both remain flexible. Other than a tube and tile silicone based sealer for tub and tiles, it is a mistake to use silicone anywhere else, 20 years living on sailboats has proved it to me!!!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
How did it work as a sound deadener before it slid?

It worked great as a sound deadener, The stuff i put on the wheel wells is still there, But then again it is an mostly flat surface with little or no hot sunlight hitting it.

42 Posts
Years of boat ownership, swimming pools, surgery etc taught me that you have to control leakage on the ‘pressure side’ of a leak whether it be an incisional seepage, pool crack or a deck fitting leaking into a below deck compartment. Ideally you’d take the trim off and ‘rebed’ It with something like butyl rubber or a removable elastomeric compound like lifecaulk or the non permanent sikaflexes. But I think the trim and connectors and tapes and crap aren’t of the quality to do that. What I’ll do if I see leakage is tape off a 3/16th (or less) at the topside aspect of leaking trim and use either a black or clear polyurethane (maybe sikaflex 219 but its an adhesive also) that stays flexible....then the water pushes on the patch not seeks out the slight imperfections that arise with vibration and temperature swings.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Years of boat ownership, swimming pools, surgery etc taught me that you have to control leakage on the ‘pressure side’ of a leak
True. Leaky basement problem. Exterior control requires a lot more cost and effort, so the market is full of products and techniques to apply from the inside, most of which only mitigate at best. The exterior molding tends to self-destruct when removed, so I went for mitigation.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I am going to look at Rustoleum rubber spray, it comes in different colors and seems like it would be easier to apply then butyl tape. Down side is it may be a bit messy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Proflex is a sealant used with Fiberglass trailers. Unlike silicone you can add more later and it will stick to itself. Silicone is a big no no with FG as it is so hard to remove. Proflex can be removed easily with acetone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds like what Flexseal is supposed to be good at. Any one with experience using Flexseal care to weigh in?

41 - 47 of 47 Posts