Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
The silicone says all weather, does not yellow, so I would think that would help keep water from even reaching the fastener holes to begin with.
The problem with silicone is that despite it's advertising it doesn't last forever. Especially between parts that move a lot. When you need to recaulk, it's a mess to remove the old stuff. Which is why RVers generally use Dicor, butyl tape, etc. Something that is easier to remove when the time comes to redo it. Which is just about anything other than silicone.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The problem with silicone is that despite it's advertising it doesn't last forever. Especially between parts that move a lot. When you need to recaulk, it's a mess to remove the old stuff. Which is why RVers generally use Dicor, butyl tape, etc. Something that is easier to remove when the time comes to redo it. Which is just about anything other than silicone.
So true but so many RV techs love the stuff that I will never understand. Had a furnace replaced in a truck camper and showed up as the tech was finishing up and he was using silicone and he would not use anything else as he says he has less problems with that than the others. Go figure!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I figure sealing with silicone from the interior probably works pretty well with the ability to squeeze a bunch through and around the hole but I like the idea of using a color matched exterior caulk at the top of the bumper bar on the outside. I suspect re-caulking any of those holes is near impossible without removing the wall to access the holes again or removing the bumper bar on the outside, though you may still need interior access to remove the bar without breaking the fasteners.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update while most of the plugs are easy to reach some are near impossible, wear gloves apply silicone to finger tip then apply. I hope you have small hands.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am so glad I read this thread. I haven't insulated the bottom yet, only the ceiling and upper part. Sealing them up tomorrow, problem is deciding which sealant. I've got buytl tape, silicone, and lap sealant I used on the Maxxfan. All of the suggestions make good sense. Just trying to decide which one and hopefully not regretting my decision down the road :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello, If one does a google search for "trim panel retaining clip with sealer" one can see clips made with an 'O' ring on the body side, to to prevent the water intrusion. Now the question is to find a 'clip with sealer' that would work for the transit trim. Has anyone explored this avenue? (I don't have enough posts to include an image)

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Sealed the side-wall plugs today, but not sure what these are in the attached pictures.

Are you sealing these too?

Thanks
the center photo is the flapper valve, it is an spring loaded door that only opens one way that makes it easier to close the sliding door.
the flapper valve relieves the air pressure inside the van created from closing the sliding door, the flapper valve opens outward, venting the air pressure, behind the wide black plastic trim piece.

just a guess: with the passage of time the spring in the flapper valve will wear out causing the flapper valve door to stay open and water will pour in!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I think those black posts are locating posts for the trim. Whatever they are, I sealed them up along with all the white trim fasteners using butyl tape. Tore some off, sort of wrapped it around and massaged it into a nice little mound on each one. For tight spots by the wheel well, rolled a ball of it in palms to warm and soften it up, then mashed it into place. I didn't mess with the flapper and other stuff below floor level.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I think those black posts are locating posts for the trim. Whatever they are, I sealed them up along with all the white trim fasteners using butyl tape. Tore some off, sort of wrapped it around and massaged it into a nice little mound on each one. For tight spots by the wheel well, rolled a ball of it in palms to warm and soften it up, then mashed it into place. I didn't mess with the flapper and other stuff below floor level.

I've not much experience with butyl tape (used on fan only to date). Will that hold well on a hot, vertical, bouncing environment like the interior walls? Sounds easier that silicone, which I used on a couple fasteners but found messy and wasn't 100% sure I'd sealed completely.

Edit: Had some left over butyl and sealed a few. Will see how it holds up. Grey van. Scalding hot walls.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've not much experience with butyl tape (used on fan only to date). Will that hold well on a hot, vertical, bouncing environment like the interior walls? Sounds easier that silicone, which I used on a couple fasteners but found messy and wasn't 100% sure I'd sealed completely.

Edit: Had some left over butyl and sealed a few. Will see how it holds up. Grey van. Scalding hot walls.
I used mostly silcone but also put butyl tape on some to check if it stayed put. Well see. Hopefully both work good ;)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

Way easier to install without a mess. Doubt vibration or bouncing will affect it. Very sticky. I don't think it will get runny with high heat. It didn't change shape in a week of hot weather. White van gets shade morning and afternoon, full sun midday.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
i used 6 inch wide butyl tape as a lowcost sound deadener on the walls of the van, after the first year in the hot sun it all melted and slid to the bottom of the walls.

·
Registered
206 T250 3.7l 52,000 miles and counting! DIY camper build
99 Posts
The only thing that worried me was continued tackiness or the product and attracting and holding dirt? I can’t believe that Ford doesn’t realize this so going to rot out peoples’ vans. But maybe it’s done on purpose! Going to try and interior caulk first.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i used 6 inch wide butyl tape as a lowcost sound deadener on the walls of the van, after the first year in the hot sun it all melted and slid to the bottom of the walls.

:eek: Oh well, I worked the butyl in with a lot of massaging, so I'm thinking it got into the crevices and channels of the plastic fasteners and maybe that will help keep it in place, or at least leave some behind.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

Ah...disappointing. Well, the lower wall wells where the plugs are will be exposed for some time. I'll keep an eye on the butyl tape I've installed and see how it does.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts