Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
oh - you have slots. Mine is just one large solid piece of sheet metal in that area.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
My plan is to use adhesive to place a layer of heavy felt, hull liner, or fabric on the pieces of metal that I haven't covered some other way.

On the rear doors I plan to build in storage pockets that I'm thinking will mount on wood panels, with CS150 Thinsulate between the wood and the sections of the door they cover. Mine doesn't have windows, so that space will be handy for storing a bicycle front wheel or light stuff like jackets or things that might be handy at that door. Towels, soap, and shampoo for the shower, that the opened doors will be walls for, are examples as well.

Being in Texas it is doubtful I'll ever be camping in very cold weather, and even if I did would likely not heat the van, just crawl into a good bag to keep warm. In the Summer the roof vent will exhaust whatever temp above the ambient OAT gets through the insulation. Maybe my scenario isn't appropriate for those further North.

In either climate, OCD or not, the physics of metal as a heat sink indicates by the data in the earlier linked thread how it will move thermal energy thousands of times faster than the air can move it in those spaces folks fill with insulation. We are talking about any such work netting a total contribution in reducing the thermal transfer by maybe 0.02% or less, over doing nothing at all. I really cannot emphasize enough how futile an exercise stuffing the channels has been demonstrated to be.

By comparison, gluing something like auto felt on the bare metal facing the living space will probably net a 20% or greater reduction in thermal transfer. (dependent upon the material, thickness, and other factors) This puts a significantly less thermally conductive layer between the air in the living space and the metal that will carry heat in or out of that space. Place thin (0.4") CS150 Thinsulate cut to fit between the fabric and the metal and allow for some loft and get even better results.

This isn't rocket science. No, wait, it probably is rocket science. :nerd:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
This isn't rocket science. No, wait, it probably is rocket science. :nerd:
I agree with you. Despite my comments above. It is difficult to convince people to act on evidence based recommendations vs opinions founded on what seems right. Regardless of the topic or field of inquiry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Covering the frame with insulation is effective, depending on the R value of the insulation.

Insulating the inside of the frames was investigated by Build a Green RV in this post: http :// www . buildagreenrv . com/insulating-thermal-bridges-due-metal-frames/

Sorry for the broken up URL, this board won't allow me to post a URL until I reach 10 posts.

Bottom line, it does have some effect. Each to his own!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts