Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share some information and photos of the vents located under the D pillar, since I didn't find much information when I was searching for it.

Many probably know that there are pressure relief vents located under each D pillar, both driver and passenger side. The purpose of the vents is to exhaust air from the cab/cargo area when a door is shut, otherwise the doors might become a little hard to close. From the outside, the vents are under the black plastic trim panel behind the rear wheels.

IMG_4991.JPG

IMG_4996.JPG

The vents allow air out, but not back in (for the most part, but I'm sure there're not 100% perfect). The four flaps are thin and rubbery and very flexible. There is plastic grating under each flap.

IMG_4995.JPG

The vents snap into place and can be easily removed.

IMG_5003.JPG

There's a cloth-like filter behind the vent. Not really sure what it's for.

With the vent removed, you can see right through from the interior, looking down just in front of the D pillar.

IMG_5005.JPG

Since I'm paranoid about mice getting in the cab, I added some metal mesh that I had laying around over the openings and glued them in place.

IMG_5010.JPG

Also had to add some here from the outside, as this opening goes directly into the bottom of the D pillar.

IMG_5007.JPG

And since that wasn't enough for me :rolleyes:, I glued some mesh to the back of the vents as well. These were tedious to cut out! I figured if a mouse chewed through the plastic grating, maybe they'd give up when they got to the metal mesh.

IMG_5008.JPG

Once I figured out how, and in what order, the trim panels needed to come apart, the second vent took me about 10min to get to. The tail light needs to come off first, then the small rear-most trim piece right under the tail light, then the skinny trim piece over the wheel needs loosened (you could take it completely off, but it's not necessary), and finally the large trim piece that covers the vent.

Be careful taking off the skinny trim piece over the wheel. It has mostly snaps that can be simply pulled outward to remove, but there is one bolt that hold it from inside the wheel well at about 12 o'clock above the tire.

Hope this helps someone wanting to get to the vents...

·
Registered
2020 148 HR AWD on order
76 Posts
Thanks for the detail. I’ve read about other openings around that area, that are plugged from the factory. I poked around my 2 day old 148 non-extended and only found these outlet vents, which are typical of most modern vehicles. Are the other holes only in extended Transits?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Excellent info. I wish I'd sealed these off from the outside before completely covering up all access from the inside. Yes it's a little hard to close the sliding doors, but I'll take that over the fine dust that can come in through these vents. Keeping the fan vent open works well or if closed, just open the front doors when you close the sliders.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
This subject comes up a few times a year, Usually because someone spots water puddling up in the lower walls.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
In another forum thread there is a factory photo that shows there is one of these vents in each rear quarter panel, Each side of the Transit.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I found the Link for the factory photo's, You can see one on each side of the Transit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the detail. I’ve read about other openings around that area, that are plugged from the factory. I poked around my 2 day old 148 non-extended and only found these outlet vents, which are typical of most modern vehicles. Are the other holes only in extended Transits?
Not sure about the extended. By the way, mine is a 148" non-extended also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent info. I wish I'd sealed these off from the outside before completely covering up all access from the inside. Yes it's a little hard to close the sliding doors, but I'll take that over the fine dust that can come in through these vents. Keeping the fan vent open works well or if closed, just open the front doors when you close the sliders.
Good point on the fine dust intrusion, especially if you're driving on dirt or gravel roads a lot. If a person wants to retain the vents, maybe adding more filter material over the openings would help.

·
Registered
479 Posts
We found that those vents allowed significant ingress of fine dust after miles of desert off-roading. Being also paranoid about rodents and having more than enough pressure equalization through our roof vent, I blocked them shup along with every potential frame entry point I could find with urethane foam. No more dust - result!

·
Registered
451 Posts
The vents have been used for years. My 2000 Crown Vic Police Interceptor has one under the rear bumper cover, someone asked me why my car had a dryer vent!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts