Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
That’s great. This app thing might work in many ways.
If you schedule a start and then turn the phone to airplane mode will it still start? Wonder if that message to start is programmed into the van or is sent at the desired time by the phone?
How do you like BLIS? Have you tried auto park? Lane keeping; is it a ping pong left to right or will it stay somewhat centered?
Thanks for getting back to us on this stuff it’s very much appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Why are the wheels a problem? Is it because those wheel covers stand out so far?
The wheels just look like garbage in comparison to the previous center caps where you could get the black flat ones and paint the wheels black or get stock black rims

·
Registered
66 Posts
That’s great. This app thing might work in many ways.
If you schedule a start and then turn the phone to airplane mode will it still start? Wonder if that message to start is programmed into the van or is sent at the desired time by the phone?
How do you like BLIS? Have you tried auto park? Lane keeping; is it a ping pong left to right or will it stay somewhat centered?
Thanks for getting back to us on this stuff it’s very much appreciated.
Haven’t actually scheduled a start yet, but I imagine it would work still.

Lane keeping so far has just been a “rumble” of the steering wheel. I have not noticed an active correction if it does that.

Have not yet had an occasion to use active park. I kind of want to try it in a no on lookers type situation. Just keep forgetting to try it

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Just tried the app on my 2020 that DOES NOT have remote start from the factory and it does in fact work. You can even schedule a start. In my mind that means there is no reason to order the remote start option from the factory.
Kkinscherf,

"Just tried the app" is that "app" standard or is a part of another package rather than the remote start option ?
If it is, what option is it so I can try and find what it includes and cost.
Thanks.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
To my knowledge, it is standard
Kkinscherf,

Thank You. Trying to wrap my head around all the new stuff and not understanding some, make that most of it. Old dog itus.

Semper Fi

·
Super Moderator
2,562 Posts
Just tried the app on my 2020 that DOES NOT have remote start from the factory and it does in fact work. You can even schedule a start. In my mind that means there is no reason to order the remote start option from the factory.
Thanks for reporting that, that is good news to those of us who have been wondering. Do you plan on purchasing a data plan when the initial trial expires?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Thanks for reporting that, that is good news to those of us who have been wondering. Do you plan on purchasing a data plan when the initial trial expires?
as drew,

❓By your response I'm guessing you have to have a smart phone with data to use this ? So those who don't have one would need to purchase remote start option ?

Sempr Fi

·
Registered
220 Posts
The lane keeping has a number of settings. If you want active steering you have to turn it on.
I don’t know if a data plan is necessary for the app. It’s another question we need answered. The fine print does mention something about AT&T network compatible availability.
Yes the wheels are ugly. Do the optional wheels have a similar hubcap that protrudes as far?
I think they look better but it’s $70!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
The lane keeping has a number of settings. If you want active steering you have to turn it on.
I don’t know if a data plan is necessary for the app. It’s another question we need answered. The fine print does mention something about AT&T network compatible availability.
Yes the wheels are ugly. Do the optional wheels have a similar hubcap that protrudes as far?
I think they look better but it’s $70!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
The standard AWD wheels have the exposed lug nuts while the optional Forged Aluminum wheels have the chrome cap cover that latches to the lug nuts.

·
Super Moderator
2,562 Posts
asdrew, By your response I'm guessing you have to have a smart phone with data to use this ? So those who don't have one would need to purchase remote start option ?
Yes, you would need a phone with a data plan, and then the van needs to have connectivity too.

Click here for the FordPass Connect page

This is the fine print at the bottom:
*FordPass Connect (optional on select vehicles), the FordPass App and complimentary Connected Service are required for remote features (see FordPass Terms for details). Connected service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. Connected service excludes Wi-Fi hotspot.

I found some information recently that indicated that there is a short free trial period similar to On Star or Sirius/XM radios and then you have to purchase a plan from at&t. However, here is a Ford page from October that indicates that it may now be permanently complimentary unless you want to pay for WiFi hotspot abilities

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah I heard the comment of free Ford Pass for life on that dealer video a few weeks ago.
For the life of the vehicle not just the first owner. Still want to know what happens to remote start once out of cell coverage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah I heard the comment of free Ford Pass for life on that dealer video a few weeks ago.
For the life of the vehicle not just the first owner. Still want to know what happens to remote start once out of cell coverage.
Remote start likely will not work without cell coverage. I started van using the app then switched over to airplane mode and was not able to stop engine.

With that said, what is a real world scenario where you might need to use remote start where there would not be coverage? I see the main use of remote start as being wanting to warm up the actual van engine while you are still in a warm house (most likely with coverage). If you’re out in the wild, aren’t you likely to already be in the van? I could see maybe being cold in the back country and wanting to come back to warm environs but that’s what a Webasto/Propex is for. Starting the engine is a different need and you can start the van and let it warm up while you’re packing gear.

Like everything, I guess there are tradeoffs and different uses.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Remote start likely will not work without cell coverage. I started van using the app then switched over to airplane mode and was not able to stop engine.

With that said, what is a real world scenario where you might need to use remote start where there would not be coverage? I see the main use of remote start as being wanting to warm up the actual van engine while you are still in a warm house (most likely with coverage). If you’re out in the wild, aren’t you likely to already be in the van? I could see maybe being cold in the back country and wanting to come back to warm environs but that’s what a Webasto/Propex is for. Starting the engine is a different need and you can start the van and let it warm up while you’re packing gear.

Like everything, I guess there are tradeoffs and different uses.
And yes...I realize coverage isn’t in all warm houses, but these days the places not covered are getting fewer and fewer

·
Registered
335 Posts
One use case could be waking up in a cold van after sleep overnight still snug in your sleeping bag in the platform bed you built in the back. You check your phone and decide to start the van to warm up the interior and change the house batteries before sliding out of your bag and making some coffee.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah that’s my scenario. A gratuitous use of it I admit. I think I may just go with the app and rough it by manually turning on the key if need be.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah that’s my scenario. A gratuitous use of it I admit. I think I may just go with the app and rough it by manually turning on the key if need be.
Yeah I can definitely see that, but the dash heat is never going to heat up the cargo area much at all. Spend the money from the remote start to go towards an actual house heater that you can have a programmable thermostat

41 - 60 of 86 Posts