Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I can scroll through information and DEF is listed and sometimes it just isn't in the scroll list. Is this normal? And I've only seen Okay and Less than half. Are there other indicators?

Also, when it did come up the other day (after about 5 or 6 scrolls) it said less than half. So I purchased a 2.5 gallon container and added it to the DEF tank. How does everyone actually fill the tank not knowing about how much is there? I'd like to top it off but don't want to overfill and let it run our onto the paint. And if it doesn't hold the full 2.5 gallons how long is the rest of that DEF good for?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tank is 5.5 gallons. How did you keep from overfilling and not have the DEF run out everywhere?

·
Registered
861 Posts
The tank is 5.5 gallons. How did you keep from overfilling and not have the DEF run out everywhere?
You said it is at less than half full, so it should easily take 2.5 gallons. I used to fill mine with a garden hose at hand, just in case. Is the tank or filler translucent, so that you can see the level?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I did add 2.5 gallons but don't know how much more it can take. Tank and filler are not translucent. Fill port is just below the diesel port immediately behind the driver door.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it say 'Less than half' then it will take a full container without over flowing. There are several messages after 'Less than half'. If you don't refill and keep driving you will see countdown messages like 800 miles, 500 miles, etc. Buy a container of DEF and keep it in your vehicle and keep driving until you see the countdown messages. Then you will know your DEF monitor is working.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yep, I did add 2.5 gallons but don't know how much more it can take. Tank and filler are not translucent. Fill port is just below the diesel port immediately behind the driver door.
Sprinter was filled under the hood, where you could spill that stuff on wiring harness, etc. Why can't you just check the level from your instrument panel? I would not worry about it, that stuff lasts a long time, and a low fluid light will take you a long way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well there isn't a gauge on the instrument panel. You only get messages sometimes in the information screens (only 2 I've seen are Okay and less than half which is partly why I started this thread). And there isn't a low fluid light.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's on a 2011 Super Duty. Doesn't look anything like that on the 2016 Transit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wait for the countdown and add 2.5 Gallons.
In a couple F450s, I've found the "less than half" to be less than accurate, and had it spit DEF out at me pretty good. I've also had the countdown start, and had it spit back at me halfway through the second bottle on a supposedly 6 gallon tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts