Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was one on the tour, 8:30 am 1st group. Anybody else who was there feel free to add your views.
Fresh coffee (starbucks) at registration and a tour bus to the test track across the street.
Went thru a short presentation on the Transit and the one thing that noted was this vehicle has the most different possible ways to build of any vehicle Ford has made/sold.
Next was to the "outftters" and there versions,what stood out to me was the company (www.MobilityWorksCommercial.com) that did the American Pickers Van. They had a "track system" flush with the floor which you can mount their seats to w/3 point seat belts. Some have wanted a crew cab and you can add more seats if you want. (check their site) They are waiting for a full window Cargo as well to use as a demo.

Time to drive:
1st up is what 1 am buying (MR/LWB ecoboost Cargo) got in it and buried the gas pedal in the carpet. Boost came in fast enough, and with 1/2 the weight in the van felt like a mid to low 14 second time at the drag strip.
Yes, that is what I will buy-tune. Easy well over 100mph van if the ecu does not limit (easy to change)
On deck:
3.7L ,this engine ran very well and unless you drive like a total A-hole will do the job no problem, I would rather drive this than a 4.6L econoline.
Last
PUMA 3.2L powerstroke
This was the only one I drove that had the Towing/haul.
The engine ran great, trans shifted harder when in this mode (they told me it has a extra clutch pack) and was not alot slower than the eco on the short course.
Moving from the driver seat to the back was not a problem with the console- you learn how to do it.
I am 6.0, 180 lbs and could rub my hair on the roof (MR) but will work fine for me
Biggest radio display is 6", the 8" will not fit the dash. (camera-gps)
I am happy with it, will buy one.
They only had 1 wagon which I did not drive or ride in because I am buying a cargo.

Very nice van

Ford was HAMMERING a GT350 mustang on the test track, very loud, very fast (can't buy them yet)

So I met this guy who drove his 2008 Dodge badge NGV sprinter to the event (cargo) . B*tched that it is a P.O.S. and falling apart/rusting (it was). (Broken plastic turbo tube, etc. calling Dr.A)
After they dropped us off back @ the Dearborn Inn (where we parked) I talked to him a little more and we parted ways.
Went inside to use the mens room and score another cup of the starbucks for the ride home.
As I was walking back to my car (Ford Ranger) I noticled his back axle was all F-UPed.
I got his attenion (he was on the phone) and told him his Sprinter has major problems.
He got out and I said "see your left rear wheel is not 90 deg. to the body. Now look at the right rear, the rear tire was almost touching the back of the wheelwell opening.
Told him I am a "car guy" and looked under. The U-bolts did not break, but the PIN which locates the axle to the leaf springs sheared of and you could see where the axle moved backwards about 4".
SON OF A B*TCH he said, that is why his steering wheel is off (dog tracking like a motherf)
Off to the Sprinter dealer to spent more money on a rusty vehicle.
Ask if you have any questions, was a fun day for ME

VanMan

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not ask, looked @ the number on the ecoboost and it was 5.5 average. Based on how I was driving it and everyone else I belived it.
Everyone drives differntly and if I was traveling and the power it has could do 20+ mpg (me driving) easy

The PUMA ran fantasic (#1, I am not a dog lover and refuse to pay for dog urine to put in the tank) DEF= UREA= synetic dog urine= dog urine) more amonia than humans, this is how it was discovered.
That aside, the engine has PIEZO fuel injectors and runs/sounds like a gas engine.
Given the way the power felt, mid twentys easy MPG.
The most efficent modern diesels use UREA systems

They told us the vans where 1/2 full weight (payload). I would have liked to drive the ecoboost w/ no weight.
For someone using this for long hauling/lots of miles, I would go diesel (if you are a person who is diesel smart)

I WILL buy the trailer hitch just to get the tow/haul mode button and dual mode trans.

Anyone buying the 3.7L will be happy with it.

Waiting to hear Longboard impression, it should be good.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I drove two diesels, one Eco, and one 3.7. Every variant there was the long wheelbase. I drove tall and mediums, and a fifteen passenger 350 HD duelly. I was paired with an out of state dealer and a local contractor for three of the test drives, so I rode as passenger and driver w/ passenger in those for a total of seven experiences. At 50% payload plus the 6'8" dealer the base engine had more than enough power. They told us to drive them hard, saying "we're on a test track, and you've all signed a waiver, push these vans hard". Watching the Mustang test runs motivated me even more. The 3.7 did downshift w/a slight delay but had way more acceleration than I would ever need. My choice will be based on real world MPG at 75 mph, and nobody there had any more info on that.
One thing I noticed that I hadn't thought about before.......I'm only 5' 5 1/2" and even barefoot I had to duck to avoid hitting my head entering through the rear doors of the medium.
The medium roof seemed tiny inside compared to my 170" regular length tall Sprinter, I'll most likely be going with the tall extended unless the highway numbers are ridiculous at cruising speeds. The head Transit guy said there are no plans for developing a medium roof extended, and I believe him... the market needs are more for cubic units of volume , not specific applications like mine. Slider was really smooth and easy, seating and ergonomics were perfect, tightness transitioning from cockpit to rear was a non-issue.....for me at 150 pounds.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Edit window expires fast.
So I also want to ad:

The diesel sounded just like my Sprinter to my ears.....clearly a diesel but a very quiet one.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when I was learning the "transit dance" to get to the back, you have to do a little duck your head (I am 6'.0") to clear the overhead tray.
Same it true getting in from the back.

Lift right foot, turn 90 degs., duck head, twist to the right, rise (add music)

I looked at the console in the one tent for removal. yes, now to get the euro plastic part.

The Black charcoal seats are A+
Mirrors very good

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
So I met this guy who drove his 2008 Dodge badge NGV sprinter to the event (cargo) . B*tched that it is a P.O.S. and falling apart/rusting (it was). (Broken plastic turbo tube, etc. calling Dr.A)
Did you get his contact info? I bought the new correct longer hose last November and never installed it. He must be nearby, I'll sell it to him real cheap rather than bother wiith shiping it to someone else. Plenty of other stuff for his Sprinter too....filters, blades, etc.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Was at the Dearborn tour as well. Drove every demo there. I'm a diesel guy, so I'll be going with the 3.2 but the others performed respectfully. Shame we couldn't cruise at hwy speeds in them. I think the diesel and ecoboost will really shine on the hwy. Forgot to ask about availability as my local dealer (Hamilton Ontario) has told me 4+ months. I will try more commercial oriented dealers tomorrow morning. Was fun watching folks negotiate the tight turning circle area of the course.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Another perk of seeing multiple vehicles is to get a real idea of colors. Being a business owner with 1 truck, I figured I was limited to black or maybe charcoal grey, due to my logo and printed material. But, having seen green gem in person, it is a strong contender. The build and price website does not represent this color well. It is nearly black when shaded, and has a brilliant deep emerald metallic shine, when in direct sunlight. Paired with the alloy wheels, and leather interior, it would make one sharp work van. It will be a strange feeling to be paranoid about the paint on my work van, since my Sprinter was beat up when I bought it used, and is now 50% rust, 25% faded lousy black single stage mercedes deep black, and 25% vinyl decals/DIY bedliner.

To back up Vanman, the seats are amazing. More comfortable than even the suspension seats in a Sprinter. I can't wait to road trip this van to the inlaws in NW Iowa. Dang, I just said I can't wait to see my inlaws. Must be losing my mind.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you get his contact info? I bought the new correct longer hose last November and never installed it. He must be nearby, I'll sell it to him real cheap rather than bother wiith shiping it to someone else. Plenty of other stuff for his Sprinter too....filters, blades, etc.
he gave me a ink pen:

Whipple electric
1-800-498-9884
24hr emergency service

He was nice guy, he will remember me 8:30 tour ,mention the rear axle shift

You are a Sprinter man, so you can talk "tech"
a big white cargo high roof strech dodge badged 2008? (NGV)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another perk of seeing multiple vehicles is to get a real idea of colors. Being a business owner with 1 truck, I figured I was limited to black or maybe charcoal grey, due to my logo and printed material. But, having seen green gem in person, it is a strong contender. The build and price website does not represent this color well. It is nearly black when shaded, and has a brilliant deep emerald metallic shine, when in direct sunlight. Paired with the alloy wheels, and leather interior, it would make one sharp work van. It will be a strange feeling to be paranoid about the paint on my work van, since my Sprinter was beat up when I bought it used, and is now 50% rust, 25% faded lousy black single stage mercedes deep black, and 25% vinyl decals/DIY bedliner.

To back up Vanman, the seats are amazing. More comfortable than even the suspension seats in a Sprinter. I can't wait to road trip this van to the inlaws in NW Iowa. Dang, I just said I can't wait to see my inlaws. Must be losing my mind.
I thought it was black, until the ford guy said its dark green metalic.
I was in the drivers seat, he opened the door and moved the gas door back and forth to see.it (color)
Yes, very nice. if the sun is not out or night time, looks black

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another thing I remember about those Black charcoal seats was that the arm rest ratched up, kinda like the way your arm pivots at the elbow

I liked the position of the shifter, just to put your hand on

Compared to the Econoline, 100% more comfortable

I want to rent a ecoboost one an take it to Milan dragway

As said, goes faster than a Van should (find out if I hit the speed limiter)

·
Banned
164 Posts
I asked two Ford engineers if the 130" WB Wagon has all quick disconnect rear seating as has the 148" WB Wagon.

Answer: Some are, some are not. It depends on the number of rear seats in the Wagon.

Also, I never got into the 15 seat Wagon as it was always busy when I wanted to change vehicles. Eventually, I forgot about it and left.

The Eco-Boost 3.5 is a real hot rod. I got it to 55MPH on the short little straight on the demonstration track.:D

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Another thing I remember about those Black charcoal seats was that the arm rest ratched up, kinda like the way your arm pivots at the elbow
Sprinter does that too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I asked two Ford engineers if the 130" WB Wagon has all quick disconnect rear seating as has the 148" WB Wagon.

Answer: Some are, some are not. It depends on the number of rear seats in the Wagon.

Also, I never got into the 15 seat Wagon as it was always busy when I wanted to change vehicles. Eventually, I forgot about it and left.
Thanks for asking but that reply still does not answer my question. "Some are, some are not". Which ones? Looks like I will have to go to the Cleveland tour stop and demand some answers.
Thanks again for asking.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
For me it was just a couple of clicks up, but yeah, whatever feels right.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hadn't been on the forum for a couple weeks and I'm glad to see others feel the same way about the way the Transit rides, sits and drives as I did.

Been lurking over at the Sprinter forum "listening" to the dumb a***s that haven't experienced the Transit still saying there's no comparison, especially the ones that have said there's no way the Transit will surpass the Sprinter's sales even at the meager 2k plus numbers they sell at....

Yes, the armrests on the Transit adjust the same way as the Sprinter's do.

Still my biggest surprises were how much more refined the Transit drive is than the Sprinter, the diesel is quieter, runs like a gas engine, the EB is in a class of it's own.

Ford definitely has a winner on it's hands....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just out of curiosity, are those of you who have attended or will attend one of these events shopping for fleet purchase or merely interested perspective buyers of a single vehicle???

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most of the people there where from buss.or a few dealers.
I told them that I was here because I am buying one for personal/private use.
NO PROBLEM
Go and enjoy, they are a nice vehicle
The dealer salepeople continue to be stupid, you will get answers from FORD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts