Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will all Ford Dealers sell and service the Transit vans, chassis cab, and cutaway chassis including the 3.2 diesel or will it be like Mercedes and, Dodge Sprinters and, Ram Promasters where just a select few dealers will sell and service the vans?

Lynn

·
Registered
39 Posts
Will all Ford Dealers sell and service the Transit vans, chassis cab, and cutaway chassis including the 3.2 diesel or will it be like Mercedes and, Dodge Sprinters and, Ram Promasters where just a select few dealers will sell and service the vans?

Lynn

According to a Ford media fact sheet, Transits can be serviced at the Ford Business Preferred Network dealers. There are about 600 BPN dealers in the U.S. Not sure about sales. I have talked to one dealer not on the BPN list and they indicated they can sell and service the Transits. No way yet to verify if that is true.

To compare, Sprinter dealers numbered about 190 last year. I can't find the document now, but they announced plans to expand that number to about 230 to 250 dealers by this year.

Dodge Promaster sales and service are handled by RAM Commercial dealers. There are about 800 such dealers. I confirmed this number by sampling about 50 California dealers with current Promaster Inventory and comparing it to dealers on the RAM Commercial list. With one exception they all agreed. So the 800 RAM dealers selling and servicing Promasters is probably accurate.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well wasn't the Econoline available across all ford stores? I'd imagine the same for the Transit. Now thats not to say all dealer will be fluent in selling them, nor will all of them have stock on hand, but i think in terms of walking in and ordering you should be able to do that at all dealers...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well wasn't the Econoline available across all ford stores? I'd imagine the same for the Transit. Now thats not to say all dealer will be fluent in selling them, nor will all of them have stock on hand, but i think in terms of walking in and ordering you should be able to do that at all dealers...
I remember it was but then again those were different times and likely they used this as an opportunity to change things around to what might work better for them and the consume

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Also to service them bays with enough clearance for the tall roof are necessary, not all doors have the height required. A dealer may have to make a significant investment in order to sell and service Transits.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
The type of service required on the medium and tall vans may determine what a dealer can do. If they do not have the high bay service facility they may not be able to provide all types of service. The diesel engine is not common to other Ford products so service on that might be limited to the BPN dealers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I dunno, every dealer usually has a heavy duty lift for their diesel guy,,, at least im going off my buddys dealer...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are over 3000 Ford dealers in the USA but only 600 will sell and service the Transit! Mercedes has over 300 dealers but only 188 service the Sprinter! Ram has over 2000 dealers but only 850 service the Promaster. Van owners get no respect. Last time I had my Sprinter in for work the shop charged me 50$ just to write up the ticket. When your on the road and need service there is nothing more madding than finding out the closest dealer to you does not work on your particular model.

Lynn

·
Registered
79 Posts
Talked with my local dealer here and they told me they would be able to service it....they are pretty good, the have serviced our bigger trucks with no issues and one wouldn't fit in the bays.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts