Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question:

Does any one have a clever solution to deactivate the door chime? I plan to spend a lot of time plugged into shore power [which charges the car battery] and want to run the stereo through the doors. Of course, every time I have the doors open - you get the chime.

Short of building some sort of door button depressor - is there a way to deactivate? Would even consider cutting a wire to do it permanently.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It's probably built into the computer. It's the most annoying thing about the Transit.

It chimes for everything. Please post if you find a solution.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
it may be possible to disable the door chime, lights and indicators in the instrument cluster for each door, but this mod if probably only for the technically inclined and not for the faint of heart! certain models of the transit may only have 2 doors and there is a way to to disable the other 3 out of 5 door switches that the standard transit model has. it appears to me at least that it may be possible to have only one door trigger the lights and chimes, you might be able to set it up were only the front passenger door, or any other single door triggers the lights and chimes if i read this quote from the BEMM right?

4.15.1 Door Removal or Modification
In the event of the requirement to remove the
doors for derivatives requiring no doors, certain
circuits will need to be linked to ensure door ajar
warnings do not appear on the Instrument Cluster.
The interior light will also stay on if this is not done.
It is possible to maintain a certain state by
configuring the Body Control Module (BCM) C3
in the following way.
• C3-44 Front Left
• C3-34 Front Right
• C3-35 Ajar left side cargo switch
• C3-51 Ajar left side cargo switch

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would think that the least invasive, most easily reversible, and accessible change would be to bypass the door switches at (or near) the doors. If it doesn't know the door is open it won't ding. And you'll keep all the other chimes -- for better or worse. -F

·
Registered
955 Posts
Are the door switches NO (normally open) or NC (normally closed)? Are they mechanical (plunger switches) or magnetic (reed switches)? That's a feature I will really want, a shunt switch by each door.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Question:

Does any one have a clever solution to deactivate the door chime? I plan to spend a lot of time plugged into shore power [which charges the car battery] and want to run the stereo through the doors. Of course, every time I have the doors open - you get the chime.

Short of building some sort of door button depressor - is there a way to deactivate? Would even consider cutting a wire to do it permanently.
If it's just the radio you want then take the key out of the ignition and the chimes will stop. You can then use the radios on/off button and the radio/stereo will play as long as you want it to. Ironically, it is not on the shutdown timer circuit except for the 9 minute delay immediately after the key is turned to off. Pressing the on/off button overrides that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an aftermarket stereo. I guess I could look at rewiring it somehow. For now it goes stone dead on key removal.

It's a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX if anyone has experience. I didn't install it myself.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It's not a radio issue. The chimes are annoying and I don't want them on. I don't know how to program the BEMM settings. I'm assuming you need a scan tool for that.

I know my key is in because input it in. I know my lights are on because I turned them on. I don't need a reminder.

Do you think chimes have a light to remind you that you left the chime on?
At least most European cars give you the option to turn off chimes.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't know how to turn off the headlight or key chimes, but at least Ford gave us the ability to turn off the annoying seat belt chime.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't know how to turn off the headlight or key chimes, but at least Ford gave us the ability to turn off the annoying seat belt chime.
How do you turn off the seat belt one?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Has anyone looked at the door status sensors in the doors? I can't as my van is still 1200 miles away. Part number?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Has anyone been able to locate the actual noise emitting device? Instead of messing with the door sensors or whatever - it may be the case - once you locate that chime you can basically neuter it for no sound at all, or you can maul it to provide much less sound (did this in a previous vehicle)

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I have an aftermarket stereo. I guess I could look at rewiring it somehow. For now it goes stone dead on key removal.

It's a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX if anyone has experience. I didn't install it myself.
Benjamin,

I have an aftermarket Kenwood DNX893S, it stays on after key is removed, shuts off when a front door is opened but not the slider or rear doors. Maybe yours wasn't wired to original radio power points.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Should be a electrical connector in the steering column that you unplug , or listen to where
the chime is coming from and unplug the little speaker.
As for the seat belt chime , look under the seat at the seat belt , should be wires coming from
the seat belt , unplug it

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree buddy. I tried to short out at the door latch and blue a fuse. Im trying to find out a different way ...maybe pulling the ignition cylinder and taping the "key in ignition" contact. I did this with my econoline vans but not with this POS! I want my Econolines back!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I agree buddy. I tried to short out at the door latch and blue a fuse. Im trying to find out a different way ...maybe pulling the ignition cylinder and taping the "key in ignition" contact. I did this with my econoline vans but not with this POS! I want my Econolines back!
swapping jumpers around on plug C-3 on the BCM (Body Control Module) turns off the door chimes, it is in the BEMM. (Body Equipment Manufactures Manual)
(page 129)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts