Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this new in May and never installed. Looking to sell for $240 + shipping. I’m in the Chicago area if you’d like to arrange pickup.

All the details:

·
Registered
2017 T150 med roof SWB
32 Posts
Just wanted to comment I own one of these, and it works great at pulling a little less than 25 amps form the alternator to charge my LiFePo battery bank.
My regular driving keeps them topped off enough to run my fridge, charge my tools etc.
Going to mount some panels on the roof in spring to get the full 50 amps.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Just wanted to comment I own one of these, and it works great at pulling a little less than 25 amps form the alternator to charge my LiFePo battery bank.
My regular driving keeps them topped off enough to run my fridge, charge my tools etc.
Going to mount some panels on the roof in spring to get the full 50 amps.
I'm confused. Well, not really, but you may have the wrong idea of how this unit is supposed to work.

With no solar input, it will pull ~50A from the alternator if your battery bank will accept as much. Any amount of solar input will cut the alternator current in half and add whatever the solar is providing up to 25A. More often than not, at least in my setup, this will be considerably less than the other 25A from the alternator.

Because of this I have a NC relay controlled by the engine RUN signal, which automatically turns off the solar input while the engine is on.

Note that because of efficiency losses, you only get ~45A max on the output.

Other than this small issue that can easily be worked around, it's been a solid performer for me. Many people, myself included, add a PC fan to keep it cool. It WILL automatically throttle back the power throughput if it gets too hot.

Reactions: dorkmatt
1 - 4 of 4 Posts