Ford Transit USA Forum banner

DC- DC charger and shunt wiring?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Sams stock van 
#1 ·
What is the correct way to wire a Renogy DC-DC charger when using a Victron battery monitoring shunt? Option A or B or C??? Note I have two batteries in my bank so would charge on one set of pos/neg and draw from the other pos/neg. Or does it even matter?

Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern

See less See more
#2 ·
Neither. If I'm reading it correctly.

House battery negative goes to shunt. Nothing else. Then other side of shunt to negative busbar. Then load and charging off busbar. Or if it's only two wires you can co-terminate them on the shunt.

Maybe that's what you meant above; not sure.

Center of this is an example. In this case, two house batteries co-terminate on shunt; then shunt to negative busbar.
Product Font Rectangle Technology Electronic device

#6 ·
Still no. Everything charging and discharging the house battery MUST be on the downstream side of the shunt. Think of it as a flow meter that works both directions. If you bypass the shunt to get to battery ground, then that isn't counted by the shunt. So, house battery ground to shunt battery side, then other side of shunt to all other grounds, either by a negative busbar or co terminating on this side of the shunt.

Your dc to dc leads go to the same busbars to charge.

#7 ·
Still no. Everything charging and discharging the house battery MUST be on the downstream side of the shunt. Think of it as a flow meter that works both directions. If you bypass the shunt to get to battery ground, then that isn't counted by the shunt. So, house battery ground to shunt battery side, then other side of shunt to all other grounds, either by a negative busbar or co terminating on this side of the shunt.

Your dc to dc leads go to the same busbars to charge.
Ah I think I get it now. So for the Victron to measure anything valuable I need to wire in this configuration where the circles are basically buss bars.

Handwriting Rectangle Slope Font Parallel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.