Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, what a waste of time and money. In the end 4 ferry trips ($320), 2 weeks Cube Van rental ($2000) and the equivalent of what would have been 6 tanks of gas for my transit, and I'm no further ahead with this thing.

Its now been 9 trips to the service department in the last 10 months, out of pocket close to $4000 and nothing. Time to seek legal advice I'm thinking, seems to me Ford just doesn't care.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that, I can't imagine going through that. That's pure crap from Ford. I don't know what to tell you except legal recourse might be the only thing Ford will act on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that, I can't imagine going through that. That's pure crap from Ford. I don't know what to tell you except legal recourse might be the only thing Ford will act on.
I think they forget that I operate a business in town and come in contact with 100 to 150 potential Ford customers a day, I have no problems telling people of my issues and have gained some support from other local business. Gonna talk to a lawyer in the next couple of days and probably get the ball rolling on a CAMVAP claim, and with some recent media attention here in BC I think that might be another avenue to explore.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For what it's worth, if there's a way to get some sort of petition or something like that showing how many people are watching this thread, I'm in to put my name down. I also operate a business out of my Transit 250 and this will make me think twice about buying another ford. Other trades people often ask me how I like the T250 and I'm going to tell them Ford will not stand behind you if you have serious trouble.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Picked up the van from the service center yesterday after 2 weeks of them 'test driving' it everyday and not being able to reproduce the cluster failure, within an hour the cluster failed on me. Back to the dealer right away, tech actually pulled the lower covers of the dash off and started wiggling wires before putting it on the computer (yay!) and was able to get the dash to fault multiple times, found one connection that was very loose, re-seated it and told me it was good to go.
Needless to say I was skeptical but drove it away, first left turn and the dash failed, back to dealer. This time they hooked up the computer and followed the codes, multiple codes, all communication errors, he tried eliminating them one by one and finally was led to an 'auxiliary fuse block' (not sure if that was the exact term he used) before the BCM, he found a 7.5amp relay that was loose and very corroded. Unfortunately by this time it was 4pm and they didn't have a relay in stock and couldn't get one before the Tech had to leave (and I had to catch a ferry) so he cleaned it up, re-seated it and hoped it would last. It didn't, but oh well, hopefully this relay is the culprit and I can get it dealt with this week. Could this actually be the end to my misery?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
ColinD,

Hope that is it and you won't have to worry about it anymore !

Wouldn't hurt to ask dealer for reimbursement of your costs, when mine had this problem dealer advised that there was a discretionary fund that Ford had and they gave me a check for all my wheel chair cab fares. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
ColinD,

Hope that is it and you won't have to worry about it anymore !

Wouldn't hurt to ask dealer for reimbursement of your costs, when mine had this problem dealer advised that there was a discretionary fund that Ford had and they gave me a check for all my wheel chair cab fares. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Semper Fi
I've mentioned my costs a few times and have been flat out refused, I'm not gonna let it go though and will continue to pursue once everything is fixed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Picked up the van from the service center yesterday after 2 weeks of them 'test driving' it everyday and not being able to reproduce the cluster failure, within an hour the cluster failed on me. Back to the dealer right away, tech actually pulled the lower covers of the dash off and started wiggling wires before putting it on the computer (yay!) and was able to get the dash to fault multiple times, found one connection that was very loose, re-seated it and told me it was good to go.
Needless to say I was skeptical but drove it away, first left turn and the dash failed, back to dealer. This time they hooked up the computer and followed the codes, multiple codes, all communication errors, he tried eliminating them one by one and finally was led to an 'auxiliary fuse block' (not sure if that was the exact term he used) before the BCM, he found a 7.5amp relay that was loose and very corroded. Unfortunately by this time it was 4pm and they didn't have a relay in stock and couldn't get one before the Tech had to leave (and I had to catch a ferry) so he cleaned it up, re-seated it and hoped it would last. It didn't, but oh well, hopefully this relay is the culprit and I can get it dealt with this week. Could this actually be the end to my misery?
WOW, I hope that's it. But, I just thought of something, what if it's one of the fuses that's flaky. You know how a fuse is, just a filament, if the filament is broken but makes contact most of the time , when you're driving the filament moves causing the issue. Remember the old light bulbs? sometimes you whack them and they start working cuz the filament makes contact. It's a lot of work but if the recent finding with the relay doesn't pan out, I'd change every fuse, they're cheap.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
WOW, I hope that's it. But, I just thought of something, what if it's one of the fuses that's flaky. You know how a fuse is, just a filament, if the filament is broken but makes contact most of the time , when you're driving the filament moves causing the issue. Remember the old light bulbs? sometimes you whack them and they start working cuz the filament makes contact. It's a lot of work but if the recent finding with the relay doesn't pan out, I'd change every fuse, they're cheap.
could be, I'll start with the relay, fingers crossed that's it, if not, I might start replacing fuses.
Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lou, I have fought through this issue and believe I can help you. The dash gets the signals from the "medium speed CAN bus" which is a network system which connects various components to relay data digitally. If this network (which consists of twisted wire pairs which are part of the wiring harness) is shorted out anywhere in the vehicle the dash (and other things) go out. In my case after months of looking I determined that the problem was a large wire harness not secured, inside the rear right pillar of the vehicle. Every time I would turn left this would swing over and short out the CAN bus and nuke the dash display for awhile. I tie-wrapped it against the inside of the pillar and that solved the issue. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
680 Posts
In all the time the dealer had it, nobody thought to start wiggling wires and relays?

I swear these guys will do anything to avoid finding a problem. Same happened with my torque converter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Lou, I have fought through this issue and believe I can help you. The dash gets the signals from the "medium speed CAN bus" which is a network system which connects various components to relay data digitally. If this network (which consists of twisted wire pairs which are part of the wiring harness) is shorted out anywhere in the vehicle the dash (and other things) go out. In my case after months of looking I determined that the problem was a large wire harness not secured, inside the rear right pillar of the vehicle. Every time I would turn left this would swing over and short out the CAN bus and nuke the dash display for awhile. I tie-wrapped it against the inside of the pillar and that solved the issue. Hope this helps.
Holy crap, this is exactly what is happening to mine, every left turn. I will look at this in the morning, how exactly did you tie-wrap it?

Relay was not the problem.

Thanks
Colin

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
In all the time the dealer had it, nobody thought to start wiggling wires and relays?

I swear these guys will do anything to avoid finding a problem. Same happened with my torque converter.
Because its under warranty, Ford will not allow them to do anything until it faults, they don't get paid until Ford okays the work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK, so I just gave another look at this, and the wire harness I refer to doesn't go up inside the pillar, it goes up the cavity just forward of the pillar on the right rear side. Sorry, it was a year ago I solved this. If it's a cargo van, you will see this box there inside the sheet metal about a foot off the floor of the vehicle, which is "Image processing module B". This handles the image from the rear camera and puts it on the network line, which runs up this wire harness I refer to. So you follow the wire from this box, and stick your hand up inside the cavity and you will find this wire harness just flopping around up there. If you have a finished vehicle, you will need to remove the trim panel(s) which cover up this area. There is a small hole in the sheet metal a ways up which you can stick a tie wrap through, then carefully guide it around the wire harness, then bring it back out the same hole and use a washer or something to strap it up firmly so the wire harness is secured against the inside of the inside side of this sheet metal cavity. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
OK, so I just gave another look at this, and the wire harness I refer to doesn't go up inside the pillar, it goes up the cavity just forward of the pillar on the right rear side. Sorry, it was a year ago I solved this. If it's a cargo van, you will see this box there inside the sheet metal about a foot off the floor of the vehicle, which is "Image processing module B". This handles the image from the rear camera and puts it on the network line, which runs up this wire harness I refer to. So you follow the wire from this box, and stick your hand up inside the cavity and you will find this wire harness just flopping around up there. If you have a finished vehicle, you will need to remove the trim panel(s) which cover up this area. There is a small hole in the sheet metal a ways up which you can stick a tie wrap through, then carefully guide it around the wire harness, then bring it back out the same hole and use a washer or something to strap it up firmly so the wire harness is secured against the inside of the inside side of this sheet metal cavity. Hope that makes sense.
I think I got all the lose points, actually drove the van today without any faults for the first time in months, still gonna give it a few more days of driving but I'm liking where this is going. Big thanks to Quadmaster for this.

Colin

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm on the west coast too. Which dealerships have been a nightmare to deal with for you? I've got a minor issue where the cargo lights sometimes flicker off. It sucks that ford can't be bothered to help you with these problems. God forbid they damage their precious bottom line by providing decent support after already making $50k a pop.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'm on the west coast too. Which dealerships have been a nightmare to deal with for you? I've got a minor issue where the cargo lights sometimes flicker off. It sucks that ford can't be bothered to help you with these problems. God forbid they damage their precious bottom line by providing decent support after already making $50k a pop.
I'm in Powell River, that should be enough info without actually naming the dealership:whistle:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Dealerships are independent of Ford Motor Company; they are just the licensed retailers. They DO get reimbursed by FoMoCo for warranty repair, but Ford is pretty strict on approval of repairs, because dealership service centers are scammers. So if it's something that the dealership can't get approval to repair, they will do little or nothing and claim they can't do it. That's when you need to call the regional service manager employed by FoMoCo and see about getting your under warranty vehicle repaired. Some dealerships have a better reputation and standing with FoMoCo, and can get approval to dive into something that's not cut and dry. Those are the "good" dealerships to take your vehicle to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Colin, sounds good, you're very welcome. Took me many months to solve this so I'm happy to help out someone else with it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Colin, sounds good, you're very welcome. Took me many months to solve this so I'm happy to help out someone else with it.
Day 4 with no issues, still waiting for the Service Manager to follow-up with me in regards to the relay that didn't fix the issue, looking forward to telling him the issue was solved but not telling him how. Just talked to one of my customers who's 2019 Escape has the exact same dash fault, same dealership.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts