Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Stay out of Virginia with that setup, and many other states as well. They don't allow non OEM screens above the dash,
Interesting. I've never heard this before (as someone who doesn't drive in the US much). Does this include window mounted phone/GPS holders and dash cams with small integral screens?

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,800 Posts
In most sates they don't allow for any object to be mounted as to affect outward visibility. Aftermarket GPS units and dash cameras are often poorly mounted and obstruct the view outward. There are also issues with the legality of dash cameras being used as audio recording devices to record a conversation in your vehicle without the knowledge of all the participants.

Common sense usually is applied, but if you get pulled over and the officer is having a bad day or you are rude to him/her, then an improperly mounted GPS or dash cam, and an audio recording device, can make your day go from bad to worse.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Interesting. I've never heard this before (as someone who doesn't drive in the US much). Does this include window mounted phone/GPS holders and dash cams with small integral screens?
Sparky961,
Usually most items on the top of the dash are in violation except for small areas in the bottom corners ( here it is within 5 inches on drivers side and 7 inches on passenger side corner ) Anything affixed to the windshield or above the dash is classified as a vision obstruction except for what I mentioned above (also allowed is drivers safety equipment, slightly above or below and behind rear view mirror ) and can be cited for. (items required by States to be affixed to the windshield in defined areas are also excepted, e.g -inspection stickers ) Easy probably cause to stop someone for other reasons, are those drivers that hang items from rear view mirrors.
Each State varies a little but they want clear vision out the windshield with no obstructions.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
All good stuff to know. In Canada the audio recording wouldn't be an issue. One party consent is the law here, so as long as I'm present (preferable heard on the recording to prove it) there shouldn't be a legal problem there.

But it's something to keep in mind when travelling to areas with other laws.

Too bad though, as I've really started to like having my phone up high just under the mirror for GPS navigation. I would especially prefer to have it if I'm travelling in unfamiliar areas.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Too bad though, as I've really started to like having my phone up high just under the mirror for GPS navigation. I would especially prefer to have it if I'm travelling in unfamiliar areas.
Sparky961,

You could always use the "A" pillar cup holder for it when traveling South of the border. Wouldn't be an obstruction to the windshield and would be in your normal vision scope.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Sparky961,

You could always use the "A" pillar cup holder for it when traveling South of the border. Wouldn't be an obstruction to the windshield and would be in your normal vision scope.

Semper Fi
Yes, that's also an ok place. Prior to getting a window mount I often just set it in that cup holder.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Stay out of Virginia with that setup, and many other states as well. They don't allow non OEM screens above the dash, and that setup looks like it could block visibility quite a lot. It's hard to tell from this angle but how is the frontal visibility with all those screens?
With a windshield as large as the Transit's, visibility is not an issue at all. FWIW I have no intentions of going anywhere near Virginia.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi... New here. Took delivery of my 150 over the weekend. All of my cars in the last 10 years have had front and rear dash cameras. The footage of some of the antics on the road is more than worth the price of admission. I even caught a guy sleeping behind the wheel, (gave me a pretty big tap in the drive-thru) Up to now, I've always gone with the BLACKVUE The models haven gotten more and more sophisticated over the years and the prices have gone way up. For my daily driver, I went with a Kenwood that was made for my headunit, but I added a 360 Birds eye view system as well. My 150 has the factory reverse cam displayed in the mirror, but I'm probably going to add one of these again, if not some combination of them. As other have stated, its good to have a durable high rate, multi write card, and some sort of shut off delay or capacitor to prolong the overall life of the components. And lastly, make it a habit to check your footage regularly.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts