Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
If going this way, any thoughts on cameras with high resolution, frame rate, and a convenient package for mounting on a roof rack?
Sorry, this is still day dreaming stage. I've done no research. The only thing I bought are @Travlin's Weatherguard roof rails. Also not installed.

I've got vague ideas for a DVR and a large LCD monitor located near the bed. Small monitor to fit over the current rear view mirror. It might have to be five cameras. The fifth camera to take the place of the missing slider door window when trying to see cars coming from the right. That one will be relatively narrow FOV, 90 deg I'm thinking.

The rear camera will be very narrow FOV, 60deg, so it'll mimic a rear view mirror. The other three will be wide angle 160 deg FOV. I already have a wide angle backup camera replacing the third brake light.

Let us know what you come up with. I'm sure it will be much sooner than I get to it. Apparently like you, I've learned not to custom install things. For example, mounting a camera in the third brake light housing. It will eventually fail, the old one will be out of production after all of two years. Then you have to redo the housing to fit the new camera dimensions.

Mounting on the rails minimizes drilling holes for the cameras. If I screw up the camera choice with too low specs, resolution, or cheap, it'll be relatively easy to replace them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I added a rear view camera to improve visibility when driving. The camera is installed on the back of the roof air conditioner. The LCD monitor was leftover from another project a few years ago. RG-6 coax cable for the video and DC power wires were run from the area near the rear view mirror to the camera at the rear of the van before the ceiling was installed.

Ford's receiver for the tire pressure sensors is located above the ceiling near the rear view mirror. As others have reported, these cheap LCD monitors do interfere with the tire pressure monitoring system. A switch was installed, so I can turn off the LCD monitor if I don't want it on. When the LCD monitor is turned off, the dashboard tire pressure error indicator resets in just a few minutes. The Garmin GPS and Viofo dashcam do not interfere with the tire pressure monitoring system, only the LCD rear view monitor does.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm happy with our Rexing S300 dashcam. Mounted at the top of the windshield left of the center mirror block. Ran a permanent power source to it that is tucked right under the headliner. It has a mounting base that is permanently fixed to the glass. I don't like suction cups and dangling accessory cords, so this works well for us.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Don't like it sockrex. 2 thumbs down.

I find negative reviews like this are often more telling than positive ones. Why don't you like it?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Somebody on the Transit Facebook site turned me onto this one: X1PRO Rear View Mirror Dash Cam 9.88” Full Touch Screen Dual Lens with 1296P Front and 720P Super Night Vision Stream Media Backup Camera kit, WDR,LDWS, GPS Tracking,Auto-Brightness Adjusting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMK74JJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KIiZCb3RRFXBP

It uses Sony lenses both front and rear for improved contrast and visibility in low light and glare conditions. The rearview camera is externally mounted and will fit on my solar panels. The 27 foot cable should be long enough, but extensions are available. The display replaces the stock rearview mirror which will be useless to me anyway. It can be configured to always display the rearview at a 160° angle. Since the display is 9 inches wide, even though the camera is wide angle, the center portion provides decent visibility directly back along the highway. It has a parking mode that will detect any motion front or rear of the vehicle and record it to the flash card.

I plan on leaving the stock rear view camera in place, and routing the display to a Pioneer head unit to get the stock OEM back up guidelines on a bigger screen.

I felt the lack of a good rearview system over the last couple of days driving off road, and having to turn the beast around.

·
Registered
103 Posts
While tapping into the rear camera video cable at the rearview mirror, I discovered I could use a mobius camera for my dash cam
and mount it inside the plastic shroud above the rear view mirror. This is where the lane detection camera would be, if you have it.
This gives an uncluttered, oem look.

There is a small plastic plate inside the shroud that snaps in place, which I used to mount the mobius to
with VHB. I moved the camera lens out a little from the camera body, then routed the original lens cable through a small slot in the plate.
A bit of VHB shims the lens to the proper angle.

A super capacitor replaces the battery because the battery can bloat and leak in hot environments.
A Micro SD To SD SDHC SDXC TF Male To MicroSD Female Flexible Extension Adapter Cable Extender
brings the data card out to an accessible location behind the headliner. A mini-USB cable runs to a
USB extension with a USB data blocker inserted. This permits the camera to be powered and automatically
start recording; without the data blocker, the camera goes into programming mode, which is useful
if the camera hasn't been powered on for about 6 days by the ignition on circuit. If needed, I can easily access this USB port behind the
removable trim (lower left) and update the time with my laptop after removing the data blocker.

If you want to do this mod, keep in mind that only the original mobius camera can utilize the super capacitor.
The field of view seems to be acceptable - it's not super wide.

I can easily remove the card from the headliner, insert it into an SD adapter and view it on my Pioneer head unit.
The images were from a not-too sunny day. 1920 x 1080, 30 fps. Video looks better than downsized pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
While tapping into the rear camera video cable at the rearview mirror, I discovered I could use a mobius camera for my dash cam
and mount it inside the plastic shroud above the rear view mirror. This is where the lane detection camera would be, if you have it.
This gives an uncluttered, oem look.

Thanks for the great detailed response. I'm on vacation as of today but will follow up on your suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
2,562 Posts
While tapping into the rear camera video cable at the rearview mirror, I discovered I could use a ... dash cam and mount it inside the plastic shroud above the rear view mirror. This is where the lane detection camera would be, if you have it.
This gives an uncluttered, oem look...There is a small plastic plate inside the shroud.
Sweet. I wasn't contemplating a dash cam, but now you've got me thinking...:nerd:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not a must have item, IMO, but since I was in there, I figured why not.

If you do this mod with a mobius, remove the ribbon cable for the lens and then cut a slot for it to go through the plastic plate.
Here's a video on swapping the battery for the super capacitor.

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm reviving this because I'm just about to pull the trigger on purchasing this one:

These seem to get very good reviews, are reasonably priced, and aren't going to require a lot of work to install. I'm not looking forward to running the cable for the rear camera but I tend to agree that having one is important if you're going this route at all.

Once I have it in hand I'll decide whether to mount the rear camera to one of the cargo door windows or do some modification to the upper brake light/camera housing as some others have done.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I bought a Garmin Dash Cam 20, years ago. I also bought the bean bag type dash mount for it, BUT took the bean bag attachment apart and had up fitter mount the attachment parts to the black plastic housing behind the rear view mirror. Dash cam is attached to the black plastic housing and is positioned just to the right of the rear view mirror. Excellent view of the front areas and is not an obstruction.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Dash cam video

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here's my rear setup. Ebay 7.99 reverse camera and a 7" monitor that I mounted in place of the rear view mirror. After a bunch of trials and tribulation, it work flawlessly and gives a birds eye view from my medium roof.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm reviving this because I'm just about to pull the trigger on purchasing this one:

These seem to get very good reviews, are reasonably priced, and aren't going to require a lot of work to install. I'm not looking forward to running the cable for the rear camera but I tend to agree that having one is important if you're going this route at all.

Once I have it in hand I'll decide whether to mount the rear camera to one of the cargo door windows or do some modification to the upper brake light/camera housing as some others have done.
I have a momentum dual cam. I installed the lens in the brake light housing. Confirm your angle is correct before glueing it in place. Flush will be a little low.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,800 Posts

Stay out of Virginia with that setup, and many other states as well. They don't allow non OEM screens above the dash, and that setup looks like it could block visibility quite a lot. It's hard to tell from this angle but how is the frontal visibility with all those screens?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts