Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in adding a dash cam. The assortment available online is a bit staggering. Clearly I don't need a backup cam because I have one from the factory. Unless, of course, there's a way to plug that camera into a larger screen included with the dash cam - which I think is very unlikely.

If you have one you like and works well in a Transit, or you've done the research into what you'd purchase, please suggest it here.

Thanks

·
Registered
778 Posts
IF you have an old pda phone, you can use that
every dash cam I bought went f'd after a while.
nothing beats the camera quality of the pda phones,
get an android phone and buy a 258 gb micro sd card for $28 and you are good.

I have a vivitar action cam, that can be used as a dash cam too, check that out, they have good reputation, plus is that you can use it with a all weather/under water enclosure too.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I have a wedge dashcam. I dislike the large suction cup versions.

My Viofo A119 has been moved from vehicle to vehicle over the years. It records very well for the price. Be aware a dashcam can say it's HD but really isn't. I went through 3 cheaper ones that stated HD video, they couldn't even read a license plate number, kind of important for a dashcam. The A119 does record in HD.

https://www.amazon.com/Viofo-Camera-Degree-miniUSB-Adapter/dp/B01HVWNFF6

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a wedge dashcam. I dislike the large suction cup versions.

My Viofo A119 has been moved from vehicle to vehicle over the years. It records very well for the price. Be aware a dashcam can say it's HD but really isn't. I went through 3 cheaper ones that stated HD video, they couldn't even read a license plate number, kind of important for a dashcam. The A119 does record in HD.

https://www.amazon.com/Viofo-Camera-Degree-miniUSB-Adapter/dp/B01HVWNFF6

What's your mounting method if you dislike the suction cups and it isn't over the mirror?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have the same A119 that Sportcoupe uses. It has worked very well for over a year. There are a few things to consider regarding any dashcam:

If you are in a hot climate, use a dashcam with a capacitor to power it immediately after the vehicle shutdown. A dashcam needs power for a few seconds to finish writing to the memory card. These models are often marketed as havng a "super capacitor". Dashcams that use a small rechargeable battery don't do well in high temperatures.

The 3M tape supplied I have received with dashcams also does not adhere well in high temperatures. I'm not sure if it is really even genuine 3M tape, considering these dashcams come from China. The Gorilla Heavy Duty Mounting Tape works very well at high temperatures. Its specifications rate it for almost 200 degrees.

Most dashcams use a microSD card. Regular memory cards have a limited number of write cycles before the memory deteriorates. You want to use a "high endurance" memory card designed for security video applications. They are available from several manufacturers. Here's an example: Sandisk High Endurance MicroSD

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a dual dash cam. As mention each cam will do different things. This is mine https://momentocam.com/products/momento-m5/
It records on a mini sd card.
I drilled a hole in the brake light assembly to mount the lens next to the ford backup lens.
Bought & installed was 500 bucks but I had to install the rear lens on my own (which was preferred)
It acts like a security cam because it has motion & sensor. Walk in front or behind & it records. Bump the van & it turns on.
You can view the lens while driving. picture in picture.
Good luck in finding what works for you. Youtube was most helpful in finding options.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I drilled a hole in the brake light assembly to mount the lens next to the ford backup lens.

Can you expand on this a bit? Is there room in the plastic shroud that holds the backup camera to also hold the rear dash cam housing? Does the lens appear flush from the outside? (any chance of a picture or two?)

How did you route the wiring?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'll have to take you a picture. You have to cut the plastic so the body of the lens fits plus make the hole for the lens.
I used pvc weld to glue the lens in place. You want it to angle the lens up not flush so you can see further back. It needs to be on a certain side based on how you plug into the lens. The lens is not waterproof thats why its in the housing. I have no rear windows which is where most lens go. I also used black tape to hold those stupid covers on. You can't tell there's tape up there but until i find a solution to keep them 100 % on (which is a problem for all vans with this base).
Wiring just runs down the side to the back on the drivers side with all the other wires & pops out in the back. That was the easy part.

·
Registered
217 Posts
momento m5 dual hd dash cam tutorial - google this on youtube. This is the one that is most helpful for the M5

My Video won't upload.

·
Registered
13 Posts
dash cam topic

there are many reasons i am interested in adding cameras as well. Some ideas include better rear view of traffic, security, recording accidents recording scenery etc. It can be expensive. A company serving truckers called rearview safety has a line of systems.
paul in portland maine

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good suggestions and tips so far. I need to take some time and look at the specific models more closely.

What about mounting inside the "goiter" above the mirror; where the rain sensor and such are optionally included? Mine's empty like many others'.

·
Registered
217 Posts
FYI - for watching rearview traffic my dash cam is not preferred - reason is the camera in the van shows only black & white. Plus it's small in size (3"x 3" maybe)When you view the mini sd card it's in color. I have an aftermarket kenwood radio. I have it hooked up so that I can press the camera button and it shows the rearview ford camera in color also it's a 7 or 8" monitor. While driving forward on the highway I have the LANE lines show. It helps you drive in your lane by using the monitor which is easier sometimes than viewing the mirror.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know why, but it hadn't occurred to me that what's behind me could be just as important to record as what's in front.

Do the ones with front and rear cameras record both simultaneously?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I don't know why, but it hadn't occurred to me that what's behind me could be just as important to record as what's in front.

Do the ones with front and rear cameras record both simultaneously?
Turns out rear cameras are useful: https://www.yahoo.com/news/distracted-driver-slams-back-york-163825622.html

I still haven't installed the the front camera I bought. I haven't researched it but I would think a camera that records front and rear is going to significantly sacrifice either the front or the rear from a viewpoint consideration. I'm guessing I'll have to buy a separate rear camera.

Or mount 4 cameras on the roof rails for 360 coverage to see what's going on outside from my windowless van. And also route the front and rear camera feeds into a central DVR. Actually, route all 4 camera feeds into a DVR.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Or mount 4 cameras on the roof rails for 360 coverage to see what's going on outside from my windowless van. And also route the front and rear camera feeds into a central DVR. Actually, route all 4 camera feeds into a DVR.
This was in my original plan, but I think I became sidetracked at some point. If going this way, any thoughts on cameras with high resolution, frame rate, and a convenient package for mounting on a roof rack?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts