Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I bought a transit for a camper conversion ~6 months ago, and while looking underneath the vehicle for a place to mount/drill through, I noticed a large gash in some metal that shouldn't have a gash in it. The damage is on the Driver's side, and there's isn't any corresponding damage on the passenger side.

I have limited to no vehicle knowledge, so my googling has only gotten me so far. I think the area the gash lines up with the BEMM listed lifting points on the front of the vehicle. But I really have no idea what I'm looking at.

Could anybody tell me how concerned I should be about this? I bought this from a ford dealership that told me it had not been in any accidents, and the Carfax did not show any incidents (though the report is expired now and I can't pull up the record without paying again).

At a minimum I plan to sand it down and paint it to prevent rust, but beyond that I'm not sure if I need to go to a mechanic or flat out scrap it. I've driven it about 1000 miles and haven't noticed any issues, but obviously am concerned if this is a huge structural issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
E450 Wagon
190 Posts
No, that's no a lifting point. It appears that during transport (or during a roadside assistance tow) somebody hooked the crossmember rather than the adjacent tie-down anchor, and it pulled through. I don't think it's structurally compromised, other than the rust potential you've already identified. The jacking point is just outboard of where that damage is, but I wouldn't hesitate to still use a jack there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's definitely good news and I'm gonna get on that rust this weekend. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
When buying any vehicle, especially used ones, bring a unused moving cardboard box and flash light for under body inspection. The owners manual should identify lifting points for your vehicle.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Looks like a tow truck tried to pull it sideways out of a ditch or something and put a hook at this location. The subframe can be replaced if you want to go that route but it’s probably not necessary.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Over the road truck repair company would be my first stop. Just ask for dual-shield welding of the area and paint it. They will likely hit it with a hot torch and bang it back in place and weld. It sucks but I would not lose any sleep over it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts