Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Controversial but I was looking at the body and it looks possible but I'm no structural engineer, would there be any structural issues with cutting holes between the riveted points and welding in storage boxes? I looked under the van and it's like a cave of emptiness. Hate to see all that space go to waste. I'll mount my tanks under there but having another extra cf to put in tools and other household stuff would be a huge strategic win.
I have a 2020 l4h3 awd

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
One forum member cut what appears to be a large hole in the floor where the spare tire goes, Starting at Post #6
He also added a tank or two underneath.

·
Registered
334 Posts
cutting holes between the riveted points and welding in storage boxes
Not sure about welding them in, but if you cut holes in the open field of sheet metal, and then come back and bolt in a steel "picture frame" around it, I would think that would be okay. Of course, you would use common sense in locating and sizing these holes.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I cut an access hatch for the two golf cart batteries that are installed in a welded rack under my Transit. The cutout in the floor is located where there are floor beams on three sides, with a piece of steel angle iron installed to reinforce the floor on the fourth side.

I had a similar battery access hatch in my 1996 Roadtrek camper van that was completely hidden inside a cabinet. On the Transit, the hatch is located partially outside of the cabinet door due to the limitations of how Ford built the van and my interior layout.

Reactions: Jetto

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've often thought about "drop down" boxes that sit in those spaces, accessible only from the outside.

But it seems like too much hassle, and I'm not really sure what I'd put in them anyway. I have everything I need and most of what I want.

·
Registered
2019 T250 LWB EL High Roof 3.5L EcoBoost
11 Posts
Actually planning on doing this with a floor safe at some point. I assumed.we could put it just about anywhere there was an adequate space below the floor. Might have to weld a support brace under the box, but nothing else. Is this a crazy idea?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cut an access hatch for the two golf cart batteries that are installed in a welded rack under my Transit. The cutout in the floor is located where there are floor beams on three sides, with a piece of steel angle iron installed to reinforce the floor on the fourth side...
That's awesome, i considered that with my batterie, i have 16 cells but I'd need to secure them pretty well and add insulation since I'll be in freezing temps. I may have to stick to less weighty items though since I have to worry about max load weight here in europe. They're sticklers for that stuff here.
Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to do it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't been able to get under to get a full look yet. I recall there being a large gap. It's been raining and cold here for the past few weeks. I should hear back about a rental bay soon so I'll get a better look then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I stuck my head under and it looks might it might mean cutting into the frame, so idk if it is possible.
I think you're right, might only be large enough for the drain and plumbing. I'll have the gas tank down in about a week so maybe I'll get some more insight on it then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts