Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 W2X High Roof Cargo T350, 148", EcoB, AWD, Avalanche Grey
604 Posts
Can you tell the difference between the positive and negative side? Replacing the whole cord with duplex might be a better option.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I doubt that would be a good idea. Polarity and warranty issues, maybe.
I's say go to Amazon and order a 12 volt female connector for that cigarette lighter plug and use it. That's what I did and it works fine. Plus, if it ever becomes necessary to remove the Dometic, it just unplugs.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
3,417 Posts
Is it safe to cut off the dometic power cord at the fuse (where the scissors are) and wire it to my blue sea fuse box? Thanks.
If you do it right, of course. That's how we run ours. And how we ran our last one. You can get a spare cord on Amazon by ordering the ARB fridge cord - they're the same.

Easy to confirm you get the right polarity: (unplug first), snip it, plug in the plug side and test for which is positive (one side has "lines" on it the other does not), wire appropriately.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If you need to ask, probably no?
Okay, maybe less snarky reply, but here is what I did because,

1. I wanted the cord to be useable from multiple power sources, so not wired directly to the fuse block
2. The fridge is already fused, so wanted to be able to connect to a variety of 12V or 24V DC sources
3. I've read Anderson power connectors are more electrically efficient than a cigarette plug/receptacle ... at least they're more reliable staying connected
4. I can put an Anderson power connector on the cig plug end if I really wanted, then could plug into a car

But my snarky implication that if you don't know how DC electricity works, then you shouldn't be cutting and splicing wires stands. A refrigerator will not run backwards when plugged in that way ... well, it may get hot (and emit magic smoke) instead of cold, but that will not be long lasting.

Audio equipment Cable Wire Jewellery Fashion accessory

Reactions: gregoryx

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
3. I've read Anderson power connectors are more electrically efficient than a cigarette plug/receptacle ... at least they're more reliable staying connected
4. I can put an Anderson power connector on the cig plug end if I really wanted, then could plug into a car
There is no perfect connector, that is for sure. The anderson's have a higher current rating and self clean, which is nice.

For reasons that escape me, PP connector is not rated for the winter temperature conditions that exist at their own production site nor for UV resistance. (they chose cheap plastic vs better plastic)

I had this conversation with their someone from their applications engineering team and they were a bit defensive about it - but it is reality.

Reactions: gregoryx

·
Registered
2020 AWD HR 148” Cargo BFG KO2’s 255/70/16 Flatline Van Co Rack, Bluetti Ac200p,
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, maybe less snarky reply, but here is what I did because,

1. I wanted the cord to be useable from multiple power sources, so not wired directly to the fuse block
2. The fridge is already fused, so wanted to be able to connect to a variety of 12V or 24V DC sources

But my snarky implication that if you don't know how DC electricity works, then you shouldn't be cutting and splicing wires stands. A refrigerator will not run backwards when plugged in that way ... well, it may get hot (and emit magic smoke) instead of cold, but that will not be long lasting.

View attachment 172208
Appreciate the input. I think there’s probably varying levels of “knowing how dc works”. I don’t think it’s all or nothing.

·
Registered
2020 148wb AWD
149 Posts
There is no perfect connector, that is for sure. The anderson's have a higher current rating and self clean, which is nice.

For reasons that escape me, PP connector is not rated for the winter temperature conditions that exist at their own production site nor for UV resistance. (they chose cheap plastic vs better plastic)

I had this conversation with their someone from their applications engineering team and they were a bit defensive about it - but it is reality.
I used SAE connectors, which are similar to anderson's. both have better connections then the cigarette lighter configuration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts