Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Critical Engine fault - Service engine now - Only miss fire code - Transit 350 Ecoboost 3.5

750 15
Hello friends,

I have been trying to chase down an issue for over a year. I gave up on the dealership trying to solve it.

Symptoms:
Intermittent. (Weeks or months go by with no issue) After sitting overnight - commonly 5 min into driving I get a "service engine now" and the van is miss firing with no power at all. I pull over, cycle the ignition and it seems to be fine after every time prior to today. I just had this problem 5 times in a row.

Fluids are full, just did all the spark plugs and did find one odd issue. The plug looked fine but it was very rusty, including the plug hole. My engine also seems to get water dumping on it from the cowl when it rains. You can still see standing water on it.

I'm going to try putting a new throttle body on it today to see if it solves it, but any other advice?
Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exhaust

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Auto part Metal
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2018 Mid roof 148 Camper Quadvan 4X4
34 Posts
Did you replace the boots on the bottom of the coils? Every how to I watched said they should be replaced with the plugs, maybe to keep out water? They were a couple of bucks each.
Look at the spring inside the rusty one maybe it’s corroded.

I had the same water intrusion issues but not as bad and I added an F150 engine cover which completely solved the issue. I saw someone here do it and they listed all of the required parts which I found cheap on Ebay

· Registered
6,224 Posts
Could you post any more information on that? Sounds great.
Ecoboost engine cover - Installed
There may be some more posts on the topic kicking around on the forum.

IIRC, some may have had concerns about possibility of impact on engine cooling??? I don't recall if anyone ever did any before/after comparison.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I replaced the throttle body today after reading a bunch of posts about similar issues. It cost 225$ with gasket (They gave me the wrong one.., cannot return once opened 🤦 )

The Transit has not had a critical engine fault since, nor does it feel like its breaking up under load, however it how has a vibration feeling when accelerating and the engine sounds different.

I'll order a engine cover tonight, and try to find some replacement for those boots.

Any other suggestions?

· Registered
2018 130" 3.5 EB
219 Posts
I replaced the throttle body today after reading a bunch of posts about similar issues. It cost 225$ with gasket (They gave me the wrong one.., cannot return once opened 🤦 )

The Transit has not had a critical engine fault since, nor does it feel like its breaking up under load, however it how has a vibration feeling when accelerating and the engine sounds different.

I'll order a engine cover tonight, and try to find some replacement for those boots.

Any other suggestions?
Recalibrate the throttle body.

Not sure how if you don't have a computer. I was able to do it once with some sort of 10 second slow push of throttle pedal to full open.

Engine light flashed and it was good.

Someone may have the definitive steps available now.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried recalibrating the TB several times with no change in behavior.

I also replaced the coil (OEM ford) on cylinder 3 that had the water issue.

Still no change. It feels like either I have a missfire with no code or a vibration, all that started when I replaced the TB.

Any idea guys? I'm at a loss.

· Registered
(Sold) 2020 Crew Van AWD, 148WB HR, 3.5 Ecoboost
184 Posts
Not necessarily advice for how to fix your problem, but have you considered hiring a lemon law attorney? At the very least they can send a strongly worded letter to Ford and maybe you'll get a check from Ford for your troubles. I had good experience when the dealer couldn't (wouldn't?) fix our issues when our van was under warranty.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have not since I bought it 3 years old with 170k miles, but something I'll keep in mind. This is my first Ford, and I'm not impressed at all with the service or Fords actions. I bought a Ford over the other options because of the ease of dealerships to work on the van, and the availability of parts.

Update! Somehow, my van managed to have a driveshaft flex coupler failure on the same day as my TB replacement.

The flex coupler is a known failure point from transmission to driveshaft input. They released a safety recall in April of 2021, and a TSB about the problem in 2016.

Ford will replace the flex coupler for free with a U joint. HOWEVER, all the parts are out of stock until 2023 I was told by the Ford dealer I was at. So they recommend I pay for a new flex coupler install until Ford gets a restock of U joints.

This is super annoying for the consumer as I now have to spend $700 on a temp replacement only to have it replaced with a U joint. I'm glad to have a fix so I can drive my home, but overall super frustrated with Ford.

· Registered
6,224 Posts
This is super annoying for the consumer as I now have to spend $700 on a temp replacement only to have it replaced with a U joint. I'm glad to have a fix so I can drive my home, but overall super frustrated with Ford.
IIRC that is a NHTSA recall. Don't let Ford get away with making you pay a dime for an intermediate fix for a safety defect. Make the right kind of noise at the dealer ... a different dealer ... or FOMOCO if you need to.

(Heck, once you get them to agree that it's their responsibility, I'd even look for some additional goodwill for the extra inconvenience/downtime you will incur because they don't have the parts for a safety recall that has been out there for quite some time now ... maybe, throw in a gratis oil change :))

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCMN-19V767-2845.pdf

· Registered
4,443 Posts

· Registered
4,443 Posts
Oh Well, 400 Comment forum threads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts