Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2023 350HD Crew HR Ext. Ecoboost - Abyss Grey
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2023 XL crew van high roof extended 350 HD AWD ecoboost ordered which your forced to have dual rear wheels.

My question is would it be better to down grade to an XL 250 cargo van (save some money) add the rear seat later and have single rear wheels or is there benefits other than the extra payload/haul load of the dual rear wheel 350 HD?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there -- guess it all depends on what you're going to be using the van for? The dual rear wheels and extended with high roof is going to be one heck of a beast -- are you going to do a full conversion and build out?

I have a '21 long mid roof AWD 350 Crew van and I like it a lot.. the 2nd row windows and half trim with curtain air bags sold me since I'll have kids in the back. I ended up swapping out the 2nd row 3 seater bench seat for 2 Odyssey captains chairs which the kids like... I def like the windows. Makes the road trips more fun so they can see out on those long drives...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there -- guess it all depends on what you're going to be using the van for? The dual rear wheels and extended with high roof is going to be one heck of a beast -- are you going to do a full conversion and build out?

I have a '21 long mid roof AWD 350 Crew van and I like it a lot.. the 2nd row windows and half trim with curtain air bags sold me since I'll have kids in the back. I ended up swapping out the 2nd row 3 seater bench seat for 2 Odyssey captains chairs which the kids like... I def like the windows. Makes the road trips more fun so they can see out on those long drives...
Thanks for the info! I plan to mostly use it for work hauling concrete art, counters, and furniture and then the occasional family trip. Pulling a travel trailer sometimes too. The extra payload and hauling capability’s may be necessary…🤔🤔

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi there,

I ordered a 2022 cargo with the plan of adding a second row but after that order was cancelled switched to a 2023 crew.

In doing some research I found it pretty difficult to find someone that will install the OEM seats which are removable. JMG and other upfitters can install fixed seats, so if you don't need to be able to remove them then maybe that's fine.

There's also DIY, but I was not comfortable with this particularly for insurability/insurance payout reasons.

The other benefit of the crew van is of course airbags.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there,

I ordered a 2022 cargo with the plan of adding a second row but after that order was cancelled switched to a 2023 crew.

In doing some research I found it pretty difficult to find someone that will install the OEM seats which are removable. JMG and other upfitters can install fixed seats, so if you don't need to be able to remove them then maybe that's fine.

There's also DIY, but I was not comfortable with this particularly for insurability/insurance payout reasons.

The other benefit of the crew van is of course airbags.
This what I needed to hear! Thanks for the info…I’ll leave my order as it is.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I have a high roof Passenger XLT with leather seats.

The OEM Ford seats are garbage. They really are. If you need seating for 8/12/15, they may be the only option, however if you only need seating for 4 or 5 I’d order the van without rear seating and have good seats added aftermarket.

The second row in both the Passenger and Crew has too little space for adults (at least those 6’+, and riding in the van further than a hotel to airport), and both would benefit from moving the second row back a half row. The airbags are likely designed for the stock seat positions though.

We’re planning to replace our Passenger van with a Cargo van and have two Honda Odyssey minivan seats added. I already bought the seats (companies that do wheelchair conversions are a good source of brand new seats at low prices), and I’ll find someone to do build the adapters/floor mounts once the van arrives.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a high roof Passenger XLT with leather seats.

The OEM Ford seats are garbage. They really are. If you need seating for 8/12/15, they may be the only option, however if you only need seating for 4 or 5 I’d order the van without rear seating and have good seats added aftermarket.

The second row in both the Passenger and Crew has too little space for adults (at least those 6’+, and riding in the van further than a hotel to airport), and both would benefit from moving the second row back a half row. The airbags are likely designed for the stock seat positions though.

We’re planning to replace our Passenger van with a Cargo van and have two Honda Odyssey minivan seats added. I already bought the seats (companies that do wheelchair conversions are a good source of brand new seats at low prices), and I’ll find someone to do build the adapters/floor mounts once the van arrives.
Very good tip! Thanks for your input…I think the air bag situation and insurance acquisition will be the deciding factor for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts