Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm researching this topic but couldn't find too many threads. I have a cargo van (medium roof) BUT with all around factory windows. I want to carpet all the metal surfaces and then use the factory black interior wall liners under the windows with the push in clips so they are removable. But the metal is like swiss cheese, holes everywhere!! So if I understand correctly, people are recommending a 3mm closed cell foam to glue on to the metal and then the stretchable trunk type carpeting glued over the foam? Will the foam underlayment be sturdy enough to span over the big holes and not show depressions through the carpeting? Will it make for a nice flat looking finished product that won't show depressions or lumps? I'm thinking of using a grey carpet so I'm thinking I should find a grey or black foam underlayment so it doesn't show through? I'm also thinking brush on glue on the metal walls to avoid overspray and then spray for the back of the carpet. If this goes well, I may even attempt the doors. Am I on the right track or am I missing anything?

As a side note, before I started researching, I was considering a similar plan but with a wood veneer underlayment instead on closed cell foam. I thought it would thin enough to bend but stronger to span over the holes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I glued a tweed auto fabric to the metal around the slider door, behind the driver door and the surround of the rear opening. Also, to a wood shelf above the front seats.

I used 3M 90 and it has held up quite well. I did use 3M 77 in a pinch because I ran out of 90 and needed to finish a section. I've had to be press down this section again several times after the fact to get it to stick, so I wouldn't recommend using 77. I used a thin piece of cardboard to prevent overspray in the van and it worked out fairly well. I did have to clean up a few sections that I did get some adhesive on. And to cover any holes, I used Gorilla duct tape, which isn't 100% perfect in hiding them, but better than nothing.
Daytime Wood Building Plant Tree
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Fixture Bumper
Bicycle Wheel Bicycle frame Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
436 Posts
I used 3M 90 this week on my ceiling transition and the styrofoamblocks.
FYI, this stuff is getting hard to find right now!
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Road surface Asphalt
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior Mode of transport

·
Registered
96 Posts
That tweed looks good! Is it 4 way stretchable? But still trying to figure out a good alternative to the gorilla tape. Anyone try the 3mm closed cell foam under the carpeting to cover the holes? Or another method?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had three things to add to this thread.

#1 Scotch strapping tape 8896 or Stan's tubeless tape is great to put over holes before covering with fabric.You can't see where the holes are once covered with fabric.

#2 Earlier in this thread I mentioned using Tolex (guitar amp cover material). I did it in my van In areas near the stove and sink back in 2018. Used 3m90 to adhere. It looked great for awhile, but then started to wrinkle - don't do it! I redid parts of it last year with Weldwood Landau top adhesive and that seems to have worked.

#3 3m90 has been 100% effective for adhering Marathon fabric straight to steel. Has held up for four years without a problem.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Watched the Sprinter van video thanks. So now I need to narrow down the method that covers the gaping holes the strongest without showing any indents or depressions. There's strong tape, reflectix, 3mm closed-cell foam, or my idea that I don't see anywhere which is thin wood veneer. Any input on which one of these make the most sense to cover the holes and make a good underlayment for the carpet?

·
Registered
2020 AWD 350 High Roof, Long Body
202 Posts
Will just weigh in with my experience in that 3M 90 and Marathon Tweed worked well for me.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I glued a tweed auto fabric to the metal around the slider door, behind the driver door and the surround of the rear opening. Also, to a wood shelf above the front seats.

I used 3M 90 and it has held up quite well. I did use 3M 77 in a pinch because I ran out of 90 and needed to finish a section. I've had to be press down this section again several times after the fact to get it to stick, so I wouldn't recommend using 77. I used a thin piece of cardboard to prevent overspray in the van and it worked out fairly well. I did have to clean up a few sections that I did get some adhesive on. And to cover any holes, I used Gorilla duct tape, which isn't 100% perfect in hiding them, but better than nothing. View attachment 160486 View attachment 160487 View attachment 160488
Did you remove some of the items, like the handle, before installing the fabric, and then reinstalled them? It does look nice.

·
Registered
155 Posts

I used 3M 90 and it has held up quite well. I did use 3M 77 in a pinch because I ran out of 90 and needed to finish a section. I've had to be press down this section again several times after the fact to get it to stick, so I wouldn't recommend using 77. I used a thin piece of cardboard to prevent overspray in the van and it worked out fairly well. I did have to clean up a few sections that I did get some adhesive on. And to cover any holes, I used Gorilla duct tape, which isn't 100% perfect in hiding them, but better than nothing. View attachment 160486 View attachment 160487 View attachment 160488
VERY NICE!!!

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
436 Posts
GREAT ceiling! Have a description of how you did this? Great looking van!
It's shiplap rom Home Depot, they were long pieces so no seams in the middle. I did a bunch of scribing to get a good fit on the upholstered transition piece. I'm finding these finishing touches are taking a long time to make them correct!!

Here are some more picks in my van build page, just scroll down, 2020 AWD Transit Van Build with 8020

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's shiplap rom Home Depot, they were long pieces so no seams in the middle. I did a bunch of scribing to get a good fit on the upholstered transition piece. I'm finding these finishing touches are taking a long time to make them correct!!

Here are some more picks in my van build page, just scroll down, 2020 AWD Transit Van Build with 8020
INCREDIBLE!!!! You have many, many skills! Our van will be a very poor cousin compared to this, but you’ve given me some good ideas. I’ve been thinking about gluing furring strips for around windows and the “indents”, so now I have a bit more confidence about that. Wish you were my brother so I could get you to help me! 😁

·
Registered
16 Posts
Someone mentioned Tolex amp covering?
I don't think that would work. It's very stiff and doesnt bend around curves. Look at any Tolex covered amp and they have to do clever concealed cuts wherever there are curves.
(not bends, curves)
There are spray on and roll on products that look similar. Kind of like spray on bedliner with a different hardness.
I'm almost certainly going to buy a few yards of this stuff at Parts Express. A speaker building hobbyist site.
It's a carpet product kind of similar to Tolex, but a little bit more stretch.
I am still exploring options. Might try to find some kind of thin padding to go underneath. I like the idea of an 1/8th-1/4 inch of neoprene. At least to provide a thermal break, and a tiny bit of padding for those elbow and knee bangs.
May use the roll on version of Duratex for my floors and a couple exposed wood bits. Should have gotten that done sooner, but I got sidetracked on finding some other materials and getting them shipped.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
436 Posts
I did a little upholstery work today.
Tire Hand Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Taped off an area and then sprayed on the glue.
Joint Comfort Textile Sleeve Waist

I started at the bottom then worked my way up to the top.
Green Azure Textile Thigh Headgear

Most of the top area with be covered.
Hood Automotive tire Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle

Then I tucked the upholstery under the trim pieces. Put back on the rubber door gasket.
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Car

Put the handle back on.
Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive wheel system

Put the Lagun table mount back on.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Fender Vehicle door

Attached the center trim piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did you remove some of the items, like the handle, before installing the fabric, and then reinstalled them? It does look nice.
Yes. I removed the handles and plastic covers. Easy to do and the results are worth it. Thx.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Someone mentioned Tolex amp covering?
I don't think that would work. It's very stiff and doesnt bend around curves. Look at any Tolex covered amp and they have to do clever concealed cuts wherever there are curves.
(not bends, curves)
There are spray on and roll on products that look similar. Kind of like spray on bedliner with a different hardness.
I'm almost certainly going to buy a few yards of this stuff at Parts Express. A speaker building hobbyist site.
It's a carpet product kind of similar to Tolex, but a little bit more stretch.
I am still exploring options. Might try to find some kind of thin padding to go underneath. I like the idea of an 1/8th-1/4 inch of neoprene. At least to provide a thermal break, and a tiny bit of padding for those elbow and knee bangs.
May use the roll on version of Duratex for my floors and a couple exposed wood bits. Should have gotten that done sooner, but I got sidetracked on finding some other materials and getting them shipped.
You can heat it up a bit and it will stretch around a curve. But...agreed, it is not ideal. The bigger issue is a compound curve. That creates a big problem.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts