Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm doing a (maybe temporary) ceiling in the van with coroplast. It's .157 inches (4mm). Now that I have it, I'm thinking it's not strong enough, thick enough. Has anyone done something similar or have a recommendation for a better product that light & easy to cut for now? Thanks so much. Cheers, N

·
Registered
173 Posts
I tried the same thing and bailed for the same reason. I ended up buying an aftermarket ceiling panel kit from an industrial up-fitter. I put that over the top of 1 1/2" EPS panels. It took me all of an hour to install and I'm really pleased with it.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Hi, I'm doing a (maybe temporary) ceiling in the van with coroplast. It's .157 inches (4mm). Now that I have it, I'm thinking it's not strong enough, thick enough. Has anyone done something similar or have a recommendation for a better product that light & easy to cut for now? Thanks so much. Cheers, N
I used 8mm Macrolux which is a twin wall polycarbonate:

·
Registered
856 Posts
I just returned 3 sheets of 4mm Coroplast to Home Depot. I bought 1/2" rigid foam board - the plan is to laminate one large sheet so it's 1" in most places for more strength and R value.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried the same thing and bailed for the same reason. I ended up buying an aftermarket ceiling panel kit from an industrial up-fitter. I put that over the top of 1 1/2" EPS panels. It took me all of an hour to install and I'm really pleased with it. View attachment 133181
Would love that. Haven't seen in the states. ):

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yesterday done the first test install with a standard 3/16" thick ply. Will likely cover it with marine vinyl or automotive fabric. It's a one piece 4' x 8' sheet attached along the walls and will try out 3M Dual Hook along the ceiling cross members. Stay tuned.
Van Williams

·
Registered
324 Posts
Worked fine for me, but I did glue some hulling (perfect fit.com). I did get my coroplast from commercial plastic vendor and it seemed heavier than the easy to get sign board. It is the same stuff the sprinter cargo van uses as a wall covering.
Adds some insulation and sound dampening with little weight or thickness.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
1,659 Posts
Good catch. Maybe the diamond plate corner pieces only come with the full kit? The OP hadn't actually linked them in his build thread, just the name of US Upfitters. I linked the product page directly. There are Penda panels offered by the same vendor but I didn't see a ceiling panel listed.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Good to know. Now I don't have to research that. I'll just be putting up some 5mm plywood.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Consider using Formica
Places like Home D normally sto ck 4 x 8
But they can order 5 foot x 12 feet.
This means you can cover the entire ceiling in one piece. No seams or joints

Plus formica comes in patterns so if you don't want just plain white.
You can get matching 4 x 8 for the walls.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts