Hi everyone. I was hoping I could get some advice on what to do. I have a 2016 t250 ecoboost. I started noticing a sweet burning smell a few weeks back. When I popped the hood i noticed the coolant reservoir was low. I topped it off and brought it to the mechanic. He pressure tested it and couldn’t find anything leaking. Any ideas what I should do? Clearly something is wrong and I don’t want to breakdown with my kids in the car. I have ran the car until it smells and I tried to find the leak with no success. I ran my hand under the reservoir and I see no signs of leaking there. The smell is most noticeable on the drivers side of the engine and also in the driver wheel well. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks. I rechecked the reservoir and all fittings and hose near it. Nothing is wet and no signs of dried up antifreeze. Is it possible that I have a bad cap on the reservoir? The old cap broke when I tried to remove it so I replaced it. Is it possible my new cap is faulty and causing the smell?
I had a leak in the coolant reservoir in the the exact same location that's pictured above. In addition I also had a small leak in the coolant 1/4" black plastic coolant line that runs along the top of the radiator. It's supposed to be a soft pliable plastic material but mine was had a brittle and basically crumbled when I removed it.
I had the same issue. I kept smelling coolant but the dealer, my mechanic neighbor and myself could not find a leak at all. Turns out the leak was on the junction of the hose that goes back to the rear interior heat in the engine compartment ( I have a 2015 3.7L). It was only leaking when the coolant was fully warmed up and under high RPM. It finally cracked and broke and that's how we found where the leak was. Apparently it was leaking for a while as he said there was quite a buildup around the plastic T connector.
Unfortunately, it's only available as a entire hose replacement and it is a very time consuming job. I think it was 3 hours of labor.
Thank you everyone for all of the info. That first video was a little troubling. I may have reconsidered buying a transit if I watch that a year ago lol. I ordered some dye and a uv light. Hopefully this will pinpoint the problem.