Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What color is the coolant in new 2019 vans built after the June 2018 the heater core TSB?

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/engine-technical-discussion/72016-ford-tsb-s-transits-heater-issues.html

I went to the Ford dealer to get suspect 2017 coolant flushed and replaced with Prestone Cor-Gard as called out in the TSB. They said they did so, but the new coolant is red. I figure the mechanic didn't get the message and used some kind of universal coolant. I intend to inquire further - what specific product was used and has it been approved by Ford with regard to the TSB issue.

·
Registered
213 Posts
What color is the coolant in new 2019 vans built after the June 2018 the heater core TSB?

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/engine-technical-discussion/72016-ford-tsb-s-transits-heater-issues.html

I went to the Ford dealer to get suspect 2017 coolant flushed and replaced with Prestone Cor-Gard as called out in the TSB. They said they did so, but the new coolant is red. I figure the mechanic didn't get the message and used some kind of universal coolant. I intend to inquire further - what specific product was used and has it been approved by Ford with regard to the TSB issue.

The only approved coolant in the TSB is Prestone Coreguard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, know that. This wasn't the full TSB because there was no heat failure and the full 9.3 hours of labor was not going to happen at no cost to me. I just wanted them to flush out the original bad OEM coolant and replace with Coregard. Which they didn't do as instructed. Is Ford using Prestone Coregard in all new Transits? Doubt it. Did Ford fix the formula of their factory coolant? Hope so. Assuming they did change the formula of their OEM coolant without changing the color, how can one tell the difference? Part number? I hope the dealer isn't just using up old stock or gaslighting that some generic universal stuff they've used for 20 years is adequately equivalent.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah, know that. This wasn't the full TSB because there was no heat failure and the full 9.3 hours of labor was not going to happen at no cost to me. I just wanted them to flush out the original bad OEM coolant and replace with Coregard. Which they didn't do as instructed. Is Ford using Prestone Coregard in all new Transits? Doubt it. Did Ford fix the formula of their factory coolant? Hope so. Assuming they did change the formula of their OEM coolant without changing the color, how can one tell the difference? Part number? I hope the dealer isn't just using up old stock or gaslighting that some generic universal stuff they've used for 20 years is adequately equivalent.

All the possibilities you point out are likely. Even more likely, they don’t know about the TSB because of its limited application.

I had mine done at the same small independent shop I have used for 30 years. They ordered in a couple gallons instead of the universal mix.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today. Service manager looked at red coolant and agreed they failed to perform service as ordered. It helped that they had stapled my cooy of the TSB to the original service order. He’s ordered the Prestone Cor-Gard for replacement tomorrow. Said they will do the full TSB drain procedure to get all factory coolant out rather than just the basic flush. He’s also ordering the replacement label. So it seems this will be resolved appropriately., albeit at some inconvenience to all. This time and all future times, if any, I’ll be sure to “Trust, But Verify” before leaving the premises.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Today. Service manager looked at red coolant and agreed they failed to perform service as ordered. It helped that they had stapled my cooy of the TSB to the original service order. He’s ordered the Prestone Cor-Gard for replacement tomorrow. Said they will do the full TSB drain procedure to get all factory coolant out rather than just the basic flush. He’s also ordering the replacement label. So it seems this will be resolved appropriately., albeit at some inconvenience to all. This time and all future times, if any, I’ll be sure to “Trust, But Verify” before leaving the premises.

Good insights.

Only thing my 2018 has had so far is two oil changes.

Going to get more proactive.

What is the best source for TSB info? Are there many TSBs that you have to sort through?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello! Was checking out the forum for this info. We have the 2018 Transit with the orange coolant, but do NOT have the heat issue as listed on the TSB (yet). I was calling a few dealership to see if they can just flush and exchange the old coolant to the new "Yellow" one.

Which dealership you are at? They sound more than usual responsible (as compare to most other Ford Center)..... My fear is that they will just put back in the old coolant type and or some generic ones. How did yours turn out? Do you know if warranty will be voided or not with the coolant switch ? Second fear is that they will just drain but not flush the existing fluid and cause two different types to mix.

I called two service centers. One said yes can do it (exchange the coolant) but from the conversation with her, I am not 100% sure she understood the issue (drain vs flush). Second Ford service center said they are only allowed to put in whatever my VIN number calls for; essentially means that they cannot put in new coolant type. Also, they don't really have the flush machine to do it anyway....

Any other ideas? Perhaps just DIY partial replacement of the OLD coolant type at home to prevent the possible "deposits" issue?

Thank you for the help!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
There are other and better mechanics than the dealership.

Unless you have a corrosion problem with the new coolant there should be no warranty issue. And you have decided to use the better coolant per the TSB.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hahaha! I knew I forgot something. Dealership never followed up with a call to tell me that the coolant label was in. And it slipped my mind. Heading over there tomorrow to follow up....five months later.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was calling a few dealership to see if they can just flush and exchange the I called two service centers. One said yes can do it (exchange the coolant) but from the conversation with her, I am not 100% sure she understood the issue (drain vs flush). Second Ford service center said they are only allowed to put in whatever my VIN number calls for; essentially means that they cannot put in new coolant type. Also, they don't really have the flush machine to do it anyway....
My advice is to have the desk call the head shop supervisor to go over the scope of work in person. Bring a copy of the TSB, tell them you want the coolant changed as a preventative measure and that you know it is not warranty work. Highlight the coolant spec and have them staple the TSB to the work order. Be sure they understand the specific yellow coolant in the TSB is required. Ask if they have it in stock. Ask to see it if they say yes. Then expect them to say they have to order it and reschedule. Check the color after the work before you leave. Oh, and don't forget to get the label to install on the overflow bottle.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great! Will make sure I called them with those questions! Thank you!!

Side note: am surprised that at least one Ford Service center and another independent mechanic/shop do not have the machine to flush coolant?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts