Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, but each kernel weighs a different amount! I think a spreadsheet with the weight and size (measured by water displacement) of each kernel in a package would be most informational.
SPREADSHEET! Now we're talking. I'm seeing some bar charts , maybe a pie chart., wait no, a scatter chart with curve fits through all the data! this could be fun!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
SPREADSHEET! Now we're talking. I'm seeing some bar charts , maybe a pie chart., wait no, a scatter chart with curve fits through all the data! this could be fun!
Obviously, you folks don't have enough experience with government jobs. We need a committee . . .

·
Registered
112 Posts
Obviously, you folks don't have enough experience with government jobs. We need a committee . . .
Since data indicating measured differences are often due to sampling error, your analysis needs to include tests of statistical significance. There needs to be some bootstrapped or null distributions generated for your continuous variables for proper linear regression or ANOVA analysis. We first must agree on an acceptable alpha and beta error, before generating a meaningful p value (not actually popcorn related). We are going to need to form a committee to address minimum standards and have our recommendations and resulting data peer reviewed. We should probably start applying for grants now to facilitate this research; It is of critical importance to pushing the field of popcorn kernal counting forward.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
harryn
I wonder if a good powder scale could do that counting for you?

3,715, - 3,716, - 3717, shite, 1-2-3-4.....

Semper Fi

·
Super Moderator
1,666 Posts
Something to ponder and discuss further. Why did Ford do such a poor job of rust protection on the Transits. My latest gripe is that the side magnets that hold the rear doors fully open have started rusting through the paint. Streaks of rust starting to build up on the plastic housings.
I'd remove one and see where the rust is coming from, like bad hardware or rubbing against the paint, etc. and then fix it now before it becomes a huge issue.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Hey folks, while we sit at home facing cabin fever, how about getting answers to some nagging questions while we wait to get van parts and get back to work on our projects (or in my case waiting for Ford to build it).

I’ll start with a question about flooring. There seems to be two choices for how far to extend the floor to the rear of the van. Some go all the way to the doors, and add an access door to lower the spare tire. Others take the floor only to the plastic trim piece with the spare tire access.

Considerations for either method? Regrets or revelations?
This is how far we took our floor:

The floor acts as a backstop for things we store there that we want easy access to, like the bottle jack.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This is how far we took our floor:

The floor acts as a backstop for things we store there that we want easy access to, like the bottle jack.
Thanks for posting the photo. After using your van with this setup for a while are you happy with your decision to end the floor where you did? My concern (without having a van in my driveway yet to experiment) would be if the different levels of floor cause problems when you are sliding things in and out of the back of the van, or if this makes it uncomfortable for knees and other body parts when you have to crawl in there for something.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Thanks for posting the photo. After using your van with this setup for a while are you happy with your decision to end the floor where you did? My concern (without having a van in my driveway yet to experiment) would be if the different levels of floor cause problems when you are sliding things in and out of the back of the van, or if this makes it uncomfortable for knees and other body parts when you have to crawl in there for something.
Yes, for us it works well.
We sleep with our heads toward the rear, and built a folding headboard.
The rear side of the headboard is used to mount tool-ish stuff. There's not a lot of crawling or sliding needed in the under bed garage.
This picture was taken shortly after the building it. Nowadays, there's a lot more hanging there.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I’m surprised Orton has not suggested a dual-scale method for measuring popcorn kernels. And zero response from Hein on the superior insulation properties of the popped kernel vs. unpopped. Should someone check on them?
You know how old they are, don't you? And about that bug that's going around?
(gallows humor)

·
Super Moderator
2,422 Posts
You know how old they are, don't you? And about that bug that's going around? (gallows humor)
It was hard to put a "like" on that, but admittedly the same sort of gallows humor went through my warped mind as well 😏

Praying for the continued health of @orton and @Hein along with all the cool people here in this crazy time 😇

·
Registered
30 Posts
How have you not eaten the popcorn yet? Next should be the # of M&Ms in the costco trailmix bags...

I have a couple Transit questions since there's a lot of PNWers here.
1) do you have/ actually need a rooftop fan with our mild weather? (Plan occasional trip to warm spots or eastern WA, but mostly PNW camping and exploring with minor conversions to a wagon and no kitchen)

2) anyone know if the 2020 upfitter switches or CCPs are different from the older models? Thinking of connecting a fan and maybe extra lights to the switches to start.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
How have you not eaten the popcorn yet? Next should be the # of M&Ms in the costco trailmix bags...

I have a couple Transit questions since there's a lot of PNWers here.
1) do you have/ actually need a rooftop fan with our mild weather? (Plan occasional trip to warm spots or eastern WA, but mostly PNW camping and exploring with minor conversions to a wagon and no kitchen)

2) anyone know if the 2020 upfitter switches or CCPs are different from the older models? Thinking of connecting a fan and maybe extra lights to the switches to start.

Thanks!
No idea about the 2020 upfitters/CCP.

But we absolutely use our maxxair fan. Even here, the weather is not always "mild"...sometimes it gets downright toasty, and even a mild day in the sun can quickly get the insides pretty hot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
do you have/ actually need a rooftop fan with our mild weather? (Plan occasional trip to warm spots or eastern WA, but mostly PNW camping and exploring with minor conversions to a wagon and no kitchen)
Yes! We live near Seattle and use our Maxxfan all the time. We set the fan to extract and use these vents to draw in fresh air. Our van is dark (magnetic metallic) and warms up quite quickly in the sun.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
One of the many things I don't miss about living in Oregon. Constant rot and decay because of moisture.
Are you talking about you or the van?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
What isolation? For introverts like me, we've hardly noticed except when going shopping to find no eggs, meat or toilet paper. What's wrong with people?

I live in coastal Georgia. To compare, a hurricane coming has the ability to shut a city down for months, yet all people buy then is beer, bread and water. Edit: added beer.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts