Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, while we sit at home facing cabin fever, how about getting answers to some nagging questions while we wait to get van parts and get back to work on our projects (or in my case waiting for Ford to build it).

I’ll start with a question about flooring. There seems to be two choices for how far to extend the floor to the rear of the van. Some go all the way to the doors, and add an access door to lower the spare tire. Others take the floor only to the plastic trim piece with the spare tire access.

Considerations for either method? Regrets or revelations?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I initially installed my sub floor with the intention of putting the rear plastic threshold back. But I did not like the look, and wanted to be able to slide things in and out without getting anything caught on the plastic lip. I ended up redoing the end of the sub floor to go all the way out to the doors. I layed the vinyl plank down and drilled an access hole to lower the spare. I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
My van is multi use, and I haul a lot of crap. I've found that the plastic trim piece where the elevator bolt is located is easily gouged and scraped. If I were installing a floor, I'd cover it and extend the floor to within .5-.75" of the closed doors, and put a rubber or foam (pipe insulation noodle) on the floor edge to seal to the rear doors. And an access port or flap to lower the spare.

I like the appearance, durability and ease of a click-lock floor, but have found that anything loose no matter the size and weight will slide around on it even with careful driving. Maybe a combo of click-lock up to the rear threshold and then a rubber mat or rubber-backed rug covering both the floor and the threshold. When camping, I use a 4x6 rubber backed Ikea rug ($12.99) so I can shake out the dirt at camp, and run it through the washing machine when I get home.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the floor responses . . . Anyone else have a nagging question for all the Transit experts stuck at home?

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
lol, that's the same image I put up on the screen at my church yesterday when I announced I would be leading a convoy after worship so we could go to Texas Roadhouse for curbside pickup. I also threw out free TP a la Oprah. 😇 Most stayed home, but we had some that really needed the community experience and extreme precautions were taken so we could meet without undue risk.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hmmm. I think most of those items should be readily available, at least here in my neighborhood. Except for the algae topcoat, that may take a while.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Thanks for the floor responses . . . Anyone else have a nagging question for all the Transit experts stuck at home?
No cabin fever, yet.
I'm always sitting around anyway ;)
I do have one puzzler though:

If one 5 lb of unpopped popcorn has 4797 kernels, how come another bag, purchased at the same time, has 5307 ? Guess I'll have to see what the 3rd bag has.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
54 Posts
No cabin fever, yet.
I'm always sitting around anyway ;)
I do have one puzzler though:

If one 5 lb of unpopped popcorn has 4797 kernels, how come another bag, purchased at the same time, has 5307 ? Guess I'll have to see what the 3rd bag has.

Semper Fi
maybe you missed counted? you should count again to make sure.:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hmmm. I think most of those items should be readily available, at least here in my neighborhood. Except for the algae topcoat, that may take a while.
Being from the Pacific Northwest, I can provide that algae top coat generally with a 3 week turn-around time.

I just scraped it all off my van, I forgot that it was white.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
maybe you missed counted? you should count again to make sure.:)

Got your message alert during the count of the 3rd bag, looked up to read it and lost count :censored:
Probably should recount the other 2 first, oh well.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Being from the Pacific Northwest, I can provide that algae top coat generally with a 3 week turn-around time.

I just scraped it all off my van, I forgot that it was white.
One of the many things I don't miss about living in Oregon. Constant rot and decay because of moisture.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Take out that gram scale you stashed away after y

Got your message alert during the count of the 3rd bag, looked up to read it and lost count :censored:
Probably should recount the other 2 first, oh well.

Semper Fi
Dig out that gram scale you stashed away after the 1980's (you know you have it), and weigh each kernel to formulate an average. Then apply that average to the next whole bag to determine approximate number of kernels.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Take out that gram scale you stashed away after y
Dig out that gram scale you stashed away after the 1980's (you know you have it), and weigh each kernel to formulate an average. Then apply that average to the next whole bag to determine approximate number of kernels.
Approximation! don't even speak such a thing! He needs an exact count, he'll either need to count them all (at least 3 times each) Or better yet build a machine to count them !:D

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Approximation! don't even speak such a thing! He needs an exact count, he'll either need to count them all (at least 3 times each) Or better yet build a machine to count them !:D
Yes, but each kernel weighs a different amount! I think a spreadsheet with the weight and size (measured by water displacement) of each kernel in a package would be most informational.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Something to ponder and discuss further. Why did Ford do such a poor job of rust protection on the Transits. My latest gripe is that the side magnets that hold the rear doors fully open have started rusting through the paint. Streaks of rust starting to build up on the plastic housings.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, but each kernel weighs a different amount! I think a spreadsheet with the weight and size (measured by water displacement) of each kernel in a package would be most informational.
Ah, once you have the weight for every kernel, calculate the mean, median, standard deviation.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Aarrrrrggghhhh !

Semper Fi

1 - 20 of 61 Posts